3.10 questions

Göran Krampe
Hi all!

To the point:

- Now that Ralph is official 3.10 release team leader, who are the other
two that the board wanted in the team? And how will the team operate?

- Is there a wiki page for 3.10 (I could not find it) that explains how
3.10 will proceed and how the process is meant to be worked out?
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/275 is a good place to start - and while you
are at it - please fix/update that page. :)

- If I have changes I want to push for 3.10, how do I proceed (or rather,
can you sketch a howto on the above wiki page?).

I have now created a Squeak3.10-alpha category on SqueakMap to categorize
releases/packages.

regards, Göran

PS. I really like http://www.squeak.org/Releases and we should make it
more proper and probably retire: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/275 in
favor of it.

re: 3.10 questions

ccrraaiigg

Hi Göran--

> Now that Ralph is official 3.10 release team leader, who are the other
> two that the board wanted in the team?

     I just want to make it clear that the board wanted the team to have
three people total, and for Ralph to be on it, but we did not choose the
other two people (we left that to Ralph). As far as I know, Ralph
invited Edgar to be on the team, and Edgar accepted. I haven't heard of
a third member yet.

> And how will the team operate?

     Ralph has written about this here[1]. Perhaps you could ask him
something more specific?

     thanks,

-C

[1] http://tinyurl.com/yzgefo (lists.squeakfoundation.org)

--
Craig Latta
http://netjam.org/resume

re: 3.10 questions

Göran Krampe
Hi!

Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Göran--
>
> > Now that Ralph is official 3.10 release team leader, who are the other
> > two that the board wanted in the team?
>
>      I just want to make it clear that the board wanted the team to have
> three people total, and for Ralph to be on it, but we did not choose the
> other two people (we left that to Ralph). As far as I know, Ralph
> invited Edgar to be on the team, and Edgar accepted. I haven't heard of
> a third member yet.

Right, I was unclear.

> > And how will the team operate?
>
>      Ralph has written about this here[1]. Perhaps you could ask him
> something more specific?

Mmmm, yes, that is a description that I have read in fact. It should be
on the swiki. But... it still leaves a bit of question marks for me - I
get the Mantis part and that the team acts as harvesters. So that is
kinda simple. So the enhancement I intend to try to push would go
through Mantis simply.

But I think the rest is a bit blurred. This is not criticism btw, I just
wonder how all is meant to work. It feels like quite a bit of work to
get all this running - and with an alpha ready in a few weeks.

regards, Göran

re: 3.10 questions

J J-6
>From: [hidden email]
>To: The general-purpose Squeak developers
>list<[hidden email]>
>Subject: re: 3.10 questions
>Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 02:29:29 +0200
>
>So the enhancement I intend to try to push would go
>through Mantis simply.

I assume the enhancement you intend to try to push is your namespace
solution?

Find sales, coupons, and free shipping, all in one place!  MSN Shopping
Sales & Deals
http://shopping.msn.com/content/shp/?ctid=198,ptnrid=176,ptnrdata=200639

re: 3.10 questions

Göran Krampe
Hi!

"J J" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >So the enhancement I intend to try to push would go
> >through Mantis simply.
>
> I assume the enhancement you intend to try to push is your namespace
> solution?

Nope! :)

My Namespaces solution is way too "controversial" it seems - I don't
have the energy to do the advocacy for it.

No, this is about the code that has slightly rotted and is sitting in
PackageInfo-Extras. I wrote some of it, then Ned wrote something similar
- then Ned merged it and it got a bit b0rken.

Among its most noteworthy features it adds some menu choices to the
changesorters so that you can split and send a changeset to the package
maintainers whose packages it touches. It goes through the cs and
creates new changesets ("splits") from it based on what PI the code
belongs to. Then it composes an email with both the splits and the
original cs and figures out all affected maintainers by looking at the
PI fields in SM.

I have on several occasions promised to whip it back into shape and get
it added - it would make it very, very easy for people to push patches
directly to the affected maintainers/stewards.

regards, Göran

re: 3.10 questions

J J-6
Well that sounds great.

>From: [hidden email]
>To: The general-purpose Squeak developers
>list<[hidden email]>
>Subject: re: 3.10 questions
>Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 10:30:35 +0200
>
>Hi!
>
>"J J" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >So the enhancement I intend to try to push would go
> > >through Mantis simply.
> >
> > I assume the enhancement you intend to try to push is your namespace
> > solution?
>
>Nope! :)
>
>My Namespaces solution is way too "controversial" it seems - I don't
>have the energy to do the advocacy for it.
>
>No, this is about the code that has slightly rotted and is sitting in
>PackageInfo-Extras. I wrote some of it, then Ned wrote something similar
>- then Ned merged it and it got a bit b0rken.
>
>Among its most noteworthy features it adds some menu choices to the
>changesorters so that you can split and send a changeset to the package
>maintainers whose packages it touches. It goes through the cs and
>creates new changesets ("splits") from it based on what PI the code
>belongs to. Then it composes an email with both the splits and the
>original cs and figures out all affected maintainers by looking at the
>PI fields in SM.
>
>I have on several occasions promised to whip it back into shape and get
>it added - it would make it very, very easy for people to push patches
>directly to the affected maintainers/stewards.
>
>regards, Göran

The MSN Entertainment Guide to Golden Globes is here.  Get all the scoop.
http://tv.msn.com/tv/globes2007/?icid=nctagline2