3.9 reading 3.8 .pr

Steve Linduska
I have students and teachers that have developed projects in eToys with 3.8 and are experiencing errors on every .pr file when 3.9 attempts to load.

We presumed upward migration and are unable, or unaware, of how to resolve.

Steve Linduska

Re: 3.9 reading 3.8 .pr

Bert Freudenberg
On Jan 29, 2007, at 16:16 , Steve Linduska wrote:

> I have students and teachers that have developed projects in eToys
> with 3.8 and are experiencing errors on every .pr file when 3.9
> attempts to load.
>
> We presumed upward migration and are unable, or unaware, of how to
> resolve.

You should stay with 3.8 for etoys projects. I am unaware of anyone
trying to make 3.9 support this. There has even been talk of removing
etoys in 3.10, because there are not enough community members
interested in maintaining it.

We generally recommend to use the squeakland.org version for doing
etoys, which is aimed at teachers and kids, rather than the
squeak.org version, which is focused on Smalltalk developers.

- Bert -

Re: 3.9 reading 3.8 .pr

Ralph Johnson
I have a .pr file that only contains a couple of workspaces.  In other
words, it does not use eToys.  It does not work in 3.9, either.  The
problem is that Morphic changed enough that 3.8 Morphs (and a
workspace is a Morph) will not work in 3.9.  My workspace has lots of
colored text, so I can't just save it to a text file and read it back
in again.

My guess is that this was not done on purpose, but it is still a pain
in the neck.

-Ralph Johnson

Re: 3.9 reading 3.8 .pr

Bert Freudenberg
On Jan 29, 2007, at 17:43 , Ralph Johnson wrote:

> I have a .pr file that only contains a couple of workspaces.  In other
> words, it does not use eToys.

Projects to me are a part of etoys.

>   It does not work in 3.9, either.  The
> problem is that Morphic changed enough that 3.8 Morphs (and a
> workspace is a Morph) will not work in 3.9.  My workspace has lots of
> colored text, so I can't just save it to a text file and read it back
> in again.
>
> My guess is that this was not done on purpose, but it is still a pain
> in the neck.

I think there were reports that the major thing preventing project
traits. If it is just individual classes that changed, conversion
methods can be provided that migrate instances on load.

- Bert -

Re: 3.9 reading 3.8 .pr

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 1/29/07 1:43 PM, "Ralph Johnson" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> I have a .pr file that only contains a couple of workspaces.  In other
> words, it does not use eToys.  It does not work in 3.9, either.  The
> problem is that Morphic changed enough that 3.8 Morphs (and a
> workspace is a Morph) will not work in 3.9.  My workspace has lots of
> colored text, so I can't just save it to a text file and read it back
> in again.
>
> My guess is that this was not done on purpose, but it is still a pain
> in the neck.
>
> -Ralph Johnson
The problems could be one or more classes what exists in old image and not
in new.
Sometimes references are created for classes what are not used in the
project (example if you have Keymapping in old but not in new).

As long you have the same classes, projects loads fine.
I wish know what problems you have.
Could put your project in my ftp ?
I guess also could load into 3.10 ...

Edgar

Re: 3.9 reading 3.8 .pr

Milan Zimmermann-2
Ralph,

would you have an example you could attach or make available somewhere? I know
that Projects that contain eToys scripts do not load from 3.8 to 3.9. I also
tested a few Projects without scripts, and they did work. That's not to say
all do, so I'd like to look at an example.

Thanks Milan

On 2007 January 29 11:43, Ralph Johnson wrote:

> I have a .pr file that only contains a couple of workspaces.  In other
> words, it does not use eToys.  It does not work in 3.9, either.  The
> problem is that Morphic changed enough that 3.8 Morphs (and a
> workspace is a Morph) will not work in 3.9.  My workspace has lots of
> colored text, so I can't just save it to a text file and read it back
> in again.
>
> My guess is that this was not done on purpose, but it is still a pain
> in the neck.
>
> -Ralph Johnson

Re: 3.9 reading 3.8 .pr

Milan Zimmermann-2
On 2007 January 29 23:50, you wrote:
>  http://swiki.cs.uiuc.edu/cs598rej/9
>
> I've been told that if you file in the old version of SystemWindow
> then it works.
>
> -Ralph

Thanks Ralph,

Indeed this does not work to load to 3.9. This is caused by the using of
SystemWindow in the .pr. Compared to 3.8, SystemWindow in 3.9 is missing all
3 methods with names starting with "spawn", notably:

spawnReframeHandle: event

and also their senders have changed. It appears to me, this change is to
implement resizing in 3.9  by those corner handles, as opposed to anywhere on
the Frame Border in 3.8. Not sure whether simply loading the old SystemWindow
is the way to go, it depends what one wants as desired functionality.

I  assume  this is an artifact of a broader problem, how to do project
load/unload across versions when class api has changed.

Do you mind me using your project to file a Mantis report? (Although I may try
to create a minimal example)

Thanks Milan