3.9a-7006: ":=" replaced by "_"

Nicolas MELIN

Hi,

in the latest alpha, ":=" are automatically replaced by "_" when saving code in a System Browser.
Is that the new default behaviour ?

Re: 3.9a-7006: ":=" replaced by "_"

Marcus Denker

On 08.03.2006, at 09:10, Nicolas Melin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in the latest alpha, ":=" are automatically replaced by "_" when
> saving code in a System Browser.
> Is that the new default behaviour ?

Not in my image. Do you have pretty printing turned on? Ar you using
Shout?

Pretty printing for now does _ , it should be :=, though (will fix
that), as that's the new
standard.

Before 3.9 goes beta, we will have relaced all the _ by :=, and
everything will be fine.

       Marcus

Re: 3.9a-7006: ":=" replaced by "_"

Nicolas MELIN

Oh sorry, I'm actually using Shout... this does not actually happen in the base image.

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:25:12 +0100, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08.03.2006, at 09:10, Nicolas Melin wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> in the latest alpha, ":=" are automatically replaced by "_" when
>> saving code in a System Browser.
>> Is that the new default behaviour ?
>
> Not in my image. Do you have pretty printing turned on? Ar you using
> Shout?
>
> Pretty printing for now does _ , it should be :=, though (will fix
> that), as that's the new
> standard.
>
> Before 3.9 goes beta, we will have relaced all the _ by :=, and
> everything will be fine.
>
>        Marcus

Re: 3.9a-7006: ":=" replaced by "_"

Dan Corneanu
Marcus Denker wrote:

> Before 3.9 goes beta, we will have relaced all the _ by :=, and
> everything will be fine.
>
>       Marcus

What happend with '<-' ? I kind of liked it more than ':=' or '_'.

Re: 3.9a-7006: ":=" replaced by "_"

Marcus Denker

On 08.03.2006, at 09:38, Dan Corneanu wrote:

> Marcus Denker wrote:
>

>> Before 3.9 goes beta, we will have relaced all the _ by :=, and
>> everything will be fine.
>>
>>       Marcus
>>
> What happend with '<-' ? I kind of liked it more than ':=' or '_'.

There is no backarrow on my keyboard, and there is no backarrow
in the ASCII font. Especially, it is *extremely* strange to just co-opt
the underscore. What if I want to use an underscore? What
about copy and paste? Ever tried to read an email containing Squeak
code?

So the re-defined _ was clearly a bug, and thus we fixed it.

Now _ looks very strange for assignment, so it's better to use :=.

Another reason: Most changesets that I integrated came with :=
over the last years, as people use Shout which silently replaces
_ with := by default, or use Squeak's pretty printer which printed
:= by default, too.

Now all this does not mean that I think that ASCII is the best
way to display code. But if we want to move forward on that
regard, let's do it for real, not with this strange _ thing.

I for one would like to have a system that does not save text
at all but has a higher-level representation and a very powerful
pretty-printer.

        Marcus

Re: 3.9a-7006: ":=" replaced by "_"

Damien Cassou-3

> I for one would like to have a system that does not save text
> at all but has a higher-level representation and a very powerful
> pretty-printer.

Like a tree ?

Re: 3.9a-7006: ":=" replaced by "_"

Dan Corneanu
Marcus Denker wrote:

> On 08.03.2006, at 09:38, Dan Corneanu wrote:
>
>> Marcus Denker wrote:
>>

>>> Before 3.9 goes beta, we will have relaced all the _ by :=, and
>>> everything will be fine.
>>>
>>>       Marcus
>>>
>> What happend with '<-' ? I kind of liked it more than ':=' or '_'.
>>

> There is no backarrow on my keyboard, and there is no backarrow
> in the ASCII font. Especially, it is *extremely* strange to just co-opt
> the underscore. What if I want to use an underscore? What
> about copy and paste? Ever tried to read an email containing Squeak
> code?
Yes, you're right.

Re: 3.9a-7006: ":=" replaced by "_"

Gilrandir
Dan Corneanu wrote:

> Marcus Denker wrote:
>

>>Before 3.9 goes beta, we will have relaced all the _ by :=, and
>>everything will be fine.
>>
>>      Marcus
>>

> What happend with '<-' ? I kind of liked it more than ':=' or '_'.

actually, i too would like to see '<-' as an alternative to ':=', it's
non-ansi, but looks more 'smalltalkish'... some votes?

Re: 3.9a-7006: ":=" replaced by "_"

Klaus D. Witzel
Hi Viktor, you <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dan Corneanu wrote:
>> Marcus Denker wrote:
>>
>>> Before 3.9 goes beta, we will have relaced all the _ by :=, and
>>> everything will be fine.
>>>
>>>      Marcus
>>>
>>  What happend with '<-' ? I kind of liked it more than ':=' or '_'.
>>
> actually, i too would like to see '<-' as an alternative to ':=', it's
> non-ansi, but looks more 'smalltalkish'... some votes?

Just in case it was not mentioned before: I suggest a set of TWO compiler
(parser) related preferences

        [] := is assignment
        [] <- is assignment

Then, if both boxes are not checked, _ is the (good old fashioned)
assignment (and, of course, newbees have something to ask for ;)

/Klaus

Re: 3.9a-7006: ":=" replaced by "_"

Bert Freudenberg-3

Am 08.03.2006 um 11:46 schrieb Viktor Svub:

> Dan Corneanu wrote:
>> Marcus Denker wrote:
>>> Before 3.9 goes beta, we will have relaced all the _ by :=, and
>>> everything will be fine.
>>>
>>>      Marcus
>>>
>> What happend with '<-' ? I kind of liked it more than ':=' or '_'.
> actually, i too would like to see '<-' as an alternative to ':=',
> it's non-ansi, but looks more 'smalltalkish'... some votes?

I liked the idea that was floating about that we always use ':='
internally (and presumably externally, like files or clipboard, too),
but we render it in the browser however the user likes, and we insert
it on whatever keyboard binding the user chose. Best of all worlds :)

- Bert -

Re: 3.9a-7006: ":=" replaced by "_"

Donald Major
I'd rather keep the back arrow, too, even if I had to learn a new multi-key
combination to enter it.

As for source text versus something "higher level", I'll take source, though I
have no objection to a Unicode format, as opposed to straight ASCII.  Of
course changing the image to be so totally non-ASCII might be problematic...

To see a need and wait to be asked, is to already refuse.

Re: 3.9a-7006: ":=" replaced by "_"

Hans-Martin Mosner
Marcus Denker wrote:

> On 08.03.2006, at 09:38, Dan Corneanu wrote:
>
>> Marcus Denker wrote:
>>

>>> Before 3.9 goes beta, we will have relaced all the _ by :=, and
>>> everything will be fine.
>>>
>>>       Marcus
>>>
>> What happend with '<-' ? I kind of liked it more than ':=' or '_'.
>>

> There is no backarrow on my keyboard, and there is no backarrow
> in the ASCII font. Especially, it is *extremely* strange to just co-opt
> the underscore.

Actually, it's the other way round... early versions of ASCII (1963) had
the left and up arrow symbols. Only later (1967) they morphed into
underscore and circumflex accent (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII). Looks like the early Smalltalk
implementors had an ASCII-1963 manual floating around, or they were
printing out source code on older printers with those glyphs...
My first "real" computer (a TRS-80) also had left arrow and up arrow
symbols in its character ROM (and no lowercase letters until I soldered
an additional memory chip onto the 7-bit screen memory...), so it seemed
very natural to me when I was introduced to Smalltalk a number of years
later.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin

Re: 3.9a-7006: ":=" replaced by "_"

Alan Grimes
> Actually, it's the other way round... early versions of ASCII (1963) had
> the left and up arrow symbols. Only later (1967) they morphed into
> underscore and circumflex accent (see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII). Looks like the early Smalltalk
> implementors had an ASCII-1963 manual floating around, or they were
> printing out source code on older printers with those glyphs...
> My first "real" computer (a TRS-80) also had left arrow and up arrow
> symbols in its character ROM (and no lowercase letters until I soldered
> an additional memory chip onto the 7-bit screen memory...), so it seemed
> very natural to me when I was introduced to Smalltalk a number of years
> later.

/me turns to a tattered and faded page of a disintegrating DOS manual
and reads from the holy text.

 "The number of the left arrow shalt be 27."
                -- the Gospel according to DOS, page 437.

/me powers on 486

/me makes exactly 6 keystrokes, counting the boot menu.

A left pointing appeareth on my screen.

A smalltalk source file encoded with a char 27 will display correctly in
a DOS text editor. (hold ALT then type "27" on the neumeric keypad, then
release the ALT key)

Okay, okay, Dos does everything faster... Most people can barely type
their user name on linux in 6 keystrokes much less hit the enter...

Because linux sucks, it cannot display this charactor, instead it will
be interpreted as a control charactor and lead to all kinds of mayhem. =(
(all code pages are inferior to 437).

--
Don't let your schoolwork get in the way of your learning.

http://users.rcn.com/alangrimes/

Re: 3.9a-7006: ":=" replaced by "_"

Göran Krampe
Hi all!

Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I liked the idea that was floating about that we always use ':='
> internally (and presumably externally, like files or clipboard, too),
> but we render it in the browser however the user likes, and we insert
> it on whatever keyboard binding the user chose. Best of all worlds :)
>
> - Bert -

Which makes me recall my Namespaces code which also relied on
"rendering" source code instead of showing it verbatim.
I intend to make a presentation on it yet again down in Brussels btw. :)

Anyway, I agree with you Bert.

regards, Göran

Re: 3.9a-7006: ":=" replaced by "_"

Juan Vuletich
Yes! Mi first machine was also a TRS-80, but a CoCo (Color Computer). It had
left arrow and up arrow glyphs too.

To have lowercase, I wrote a character generator that worked in graphics
mode. Instead of just 32x16 upper case, I could do 51x24, 64x24 and 85x24 in
upper and lower case. Oh, those good old times when you could understand the
whole computer...

Cheers,
Juan

> Actually, it's the other way round... early versions of ASCII (1963) had
> the left and up arrow symbols. Only later (1967) they morphed into
> underscore and circumflex accent (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII).
> Looks like the early Smalltalk implementors had an ASCII-1963 manual
> floating around, or they were printing out source code on older printers
> with those glyphs...
> My first "real" computer (a TRS-80) also had left arrow and up arrow
> symbols in its character ROM (and no lowercase letters until I soldered an
> additional memory chip onto the 7-bit screen memory...), so it seemed very
> natural to me when I was introduced to Smalltalk a number of years later.
>
> Cheers,
> Hans-Martin

Re: 3.9a-7006: ":=" replaced by "_"

Chris Muller-2
I thought there was a fix to make underscore "_" and
left-arrow assignment distinct.

Will replacing all left-arrow assignment with := cause
hundreds of methods to lose their original
timestamp/author information?  If so, is that worth
this cosmetic change?

Thanks,
  Chris

> Message: 12
> Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:25:12 +0100
> From: Marcus Denker <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: 3.9a-7006: ":=" replaced by "_"
> To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list
> <[hidden email]>
> delsp=yes; format=flowed
>

> On 08.03.2006, at 09:10, Nicolas Melin wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > in the latest alpha, ":=" are automatically
> replaced by "_" when
> > saving code in a System Browser.
> > Is that the new default behaviour ?
>
> Not in my image. Do you have pretty printing turned
> on? Ar you using
> Shout?
>
> Pretty printing for now does _ , it should be :=,
> though (will fix
> that), as that's the new
> standard.
>
> Before 3.9 goes beta, we will have relaced all the _
> by :=, and
> everything will be fine.
>
>        Marcus

Re: 3.9a-7006: ":=" replaced by "_"

Wolfgang Helbig-2
Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08.03.2006, at 09:38, Dan Corneanu wrote:
>
> > Marcus Denker wrote:
> >

> >> Before 3.9 goes beta, we will have relaced all the _ by :=, and
> >> everything will be fine.
> >>
> >>       Marcus
> >>
> > What happend with '<-' ? I kind of liked it more than ':=' or '_'.
> >

> There is no backarrow on my keyboard, and there is no backarrow
> in the ASCII font. Especially, it is *extremely* strange to just co-opt
> the underscore. What if I want to use an underscore? What
> about copy and paste? Ever tried to read an email containing Squeak
> code?

It looks fine. I'm using celeste.

> So the re-defined _ was clearly a bug, and thus we fixed it.

Hmm, I believe you broke it.

I fixed the squeak scanner so it only accepts the back arrow for
assignment, thus making it more like the original ST-80 scanner. This
simplifies the grammar a little, removes complexity and thus adds beauty
to the system as a whole.

Furthermore, the back arrow expresses the assignment much better than
"=" or ":=", the latter being easily mispronounced as "equals" instead
of "becomes".

I really love the back arrow -- and a three button mouse, even if it
does not comply to current expectations or hardware.

Regards,

Wolfgang Helbig

Re: 3.9a-7006: ":=" replaced by "_"

Alan Grimes
Lets just use 0x1b for back-arrow and demand everyone start using
Codepage 437 again. =))))

Alan Grimes wrote:

>Lets just use 0x1b for back-arrow and demand everyone start using
>Codepage 437 again. =))))

I strongly object :-)
CP 437 is much younger and therefore less mature than ASCII-1963.
And obviously it has been created by stealing and putting together parts
of other character sets (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codepage_437),
whereas ASCII-1963 seems to be a design-by-committee thing, which is
inherently better ;-P

Cheers,
Hans-Martin

Re: 3.9a-7006: ":=" replaced by "_"

Bert Freudenberg-3
Am 09.03.2006 um 18:49 schrieb Chris Muller:

> I thought there was a fix to make underscore "_" and
> left-arrow assignment distinct.

It is, and the left-arrow glyph is still in the fonts. It's just not
used anymore.

> Will replacing all left-arrow assignment with := cause
> hundreds of methods to lose their original
> timestamp/author information?  If so, is that worth
> this cosmetic change?

It would be pretty trivial to preserve the timestamps when patching
the methods. But my FixUnderscores package currently does not.