3D desktop

12

Re: 3D desktop, the catch.

Derek O'Connell-2
he he, I sympathise. Sounds like an interrupt problem to me. I have used Linux and nVidea/ATI cards with Linux with no problem after setting up. What type of card do you have?

On 1/8/07, Alan Grimes <[hidden email]> wrote:
The problem with 3D desktops, or any 3D functionality whatsoever, is
that I own a motherboard which, by all appearances Linux should support,
it even has a menu item in the configuration system specifically listing
my chipset, but it doesn't. instead linux crashes instantly and
completely whenever I try to do anything at all with anything even
remotely related to 3D, even the simplest diagnostics will crash my
computer. Therefore my position is that nobody should be permitted to
use, develop, or even discuss any 3D application of any kind, under
penalty of law, until my computer is restored to full operation. =|

--
|/-\|/-\|

Re: 3D desktop, the catch.

Brad Fuller-3
Derek O'Connell wrote:
> he he, I sympathise. Sounds like an interrupt problem to me. I have
> used Linux and nVidea/ATI cards with Linux with no problem after
> setting up. What type of card do you have?
and what driver are you using?

> On 1/8/07, *Alan Grimes* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     The problem with 3D desktops, or any 3D functionality whatsoever, is
>     that I own a motherboard which, by all appearances Linux should
>     support,
>     it even has a menu item in the configuration system specifically
>     listing
>     my chipset, but it doesn't. instead linux crashes instantly and
>     completely whenever I try to do anything at all with anything even
>     remotely related to 3D, even the simplest diagnostics will crash my
>     computer. Therefore my position is that nobody should be permitted to
>     use, develop, or even discuss any 3D application of any kind, under
>     penalty of law, until my computer is restored to full operation. =|
>
>     --
>     |/-\|/-\|

brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com

Re: 3D desktop, the catch.

Alan Grimes-2
Brad Fuller wrote:
> Derek O'Connell wrote:
>> he he, I sympathise. Sounds like an interrupt problem to me. I have
>> used Linux and nVidea/ATI cards with Linux with no problem after
>> setting up. What type of card do you have?

ATI R280, (9250) on a MSI board.

In discussions on the DRI list (I am using purely open source drivers),
the issue seems to have to do with the interaction between the driver
for the comparatively rare AMD 762 (Athlon MP) chipset. (Probably a bug
in the chipset driver that is triggered whenever I attempt to set up the
GART for OpenGL usage). =(

> and what driver are you using?

Open source, compiled automaticly from gentoo's portage tree.

|/-\|/-\|

Re: 3D desktop

Brad Fuller-3
stéphane ducasse wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ODskdEPnQ
> Could be cool to use Genie for that....
>
> Stef

another interface:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid271543545/bctid422563006

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com

Re: 3D desktop

Karl-19
Brad Fuller wrote:

> stéphane ducasse wrote:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ODskdEPnQ
>> Could be cool to use Genie for that....
>>
>> Stef
>>

> another interface:
>
> http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid271543545/bctid422563006

Pretty nice. I have always wanted a touch screen interface for a
computer. Interfacing with computers will change. Look at the success of
the Wii game platform. I'm not proclaiming the death of the mouse and
keyboard but I don't think they will play a major part in
the-next-computer-revolution(tm).
Karl

Re: 3D desktop

Brad Fuller-3
Karl wrote:

> Brad Fuller wrote:
>> stéphane ducasse wrote:
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ODskdEPnQ
>>> Could be cool to use Genie for that....
>>>
>>> Stef
>>>

>> another interface:
>>
>> http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid271543545/bctid422563006
>>
> Pretty nice. I have always wanted a touch screen interface for a
> computer. Interfacing with computers will change. Look at the success
> of the Wii game platform. I'm not proclaiming the death of the mouse
> and keyboard but I don't think they will play a major part in
> the-next-computer-revolution(tm).
> Karl

My first question was: "how will a croquet user navigate?" I assumed
that you would just point and drag your finger where you wanted to move.
Actually, it might be a bit easier because you wouldn't have to traverse
the landscape if you just wanted to get somewhere -- maybe just place
your finger on the destination and you're there.

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com

Re: 3D desktop

Karl-19
Brad Fuller skrev:

> Karl wrote:
>> Brad Fuller wrote:

>>> another interface:
>>>
>>> http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid271543545/bctid422563006
>>>
>> Pretty nice. I have always wanted a touch screen interface for a
>> computer. Interfacing with computers will change. Look at the success
>> of the Wii game platform. I'm not proclaiming the death of the mouse
>> and keyboard but I don't think they will play a major part in
>> the-next-computer-revolution(tm).
>> Karl
>>
> My first question was: "how will a croquet user navigate?" I assumed
> that you would just point and drag your finger where you wanted to
> move. Actually, it might be a bit easier because you wouldn't have to
> traverse the landscape if you just wanted to get somewhere -- maybe
> just place your finger on the destination and you're there.

You can do this in Croquet now when you click on the down pointing arrow
on a portal.
karl

Re: 3D desktop

Brad Fuller-3
karl wrote:

> Brad Fuller skrev:
>> Karl wrote:

>>> Pretty nice. I have always wanted a touch screen interface for a
>>> computer. Interfacing with computers will change. Look at the
>>> success of the Wii game platform. I'm not proclaiming the death of
>>> the mouse and keyboard but I don't think they will play a major part
>>> in the-next-computer-revolution(tm).
>>> Karl
>>>
>> My first question was: "how will a croquet user navigate?" I assumed
>> that you would just point and drag your finger where you wanted to
>> move. Actually, it might be a bit easier because you wouldn't have to
>> traverse the landscape if you just wanted to get somewhere -- maybe
>> just place your finger on the destination and you're there.
>>

> You can do this in Croquet now when you click on the down pointing
> arrow on a portal.

yeah, but not if you want to go to the top of a mountain, right?

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com

RE: 3D desktop

Sebastian Sastre-2

A virtual joystic can be use for that (google earth use something like that
with nice keyboard bindings)

Cheers,

Sebastian

>>> Pretty nice. I have always wanted a touch screen interface for a
>>> computer. Interfacing with computers will change. Look at the
>>> success of the Wii game platform. I'm not proclaiming the death of
>>> the mouse and keyboard but I don't think they will play a major part
>>> in the-next-computer-revolution(tm).
>>> Karl
>>>
>> My first question was: "how will a croquet user navigate?" I assumed
>> that you would just point and drag your finger where you wanted to
>> move. Actually, it might be a bit easier because you wouldn't have to
>> traverse the landscape if you just wanted to get somewhere -- maybe
>> just place your finger on the destination and you're there.
>>

> You can do this in Croquet now when you click on the down pointing
> arrow on a portal.

yeah, but not if you want to go to the top of a mountain, right?

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com
+1 (408) 799-6124

Re: 3D desktop

timrowledge

On 12-Feb-07, at 10:28 AM, Brad Fuller wrote:

> stéphane ducasse wrote:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ODskdEPnQ
>> Could be cool to use Genie for that....

I actually dislike this - the movie has been a round for a while and
it hasn't grown on me. 'messy desk' might have been a reasonable
metaphor years ago in order to get people used to the idea of
windowing computer interfaces but it isn't actually a *good* idea.
This particular version is nothing more than making a video game out
of moving stuff on your screen.

> another interface:
>
> http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid271543545/bctid422563006

This on the other hand is actually an improvement in the UI. We tried
to do a little of this multi-input stuff years ago on the ActiveBook
- at Bill Atkinson's urging I believe - but had to do it via two
quite separate input devices so it was never really very convincing.
It will of course require non-trivial changes in how we arrange our
hardware to be useful . Nobody is going to spend a day at work having
to hold fingers up to typical displays and typical portables would
need noticeable changes.

The shared aspect may turn out to be a major win as well. Imagine
traffic control systems working like the demo, where a group of
controllers can handle the traffic by moving objects around to block
or permit access to airspace, direct to holding patterns, see the
progress of all the traffic, etc etc.  Or perhaps group reviewing
code, making scribble notes, passing blocks of code/notes around. Of
course as always the real technology driver is likely to be making it
easy and convenient to sort your porn collection.

tim
Oxymorons: Clearly misunderstood

Re: 3D desktop

adrin-3

tim Rowledge napsal(a):

> On 12-Feb-07, at 10:28 AM, Brad Fuller wrote:
>
>> stéphane ducasse wrote:
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ODskdEPnQ
>>> Could be cool to use Genie for that....
>
> I actually dislike this - the movie has been a round for a while and
> it hasn't grown on me. 'messy desk' might have been a reasonable
> metaphor years ago in order to get people used to the idea of
> windowing computer interfaces but it isn't actually a *good* idea.
> This particular version is nothing more than making a video game out
> of moving stuff on your screen.
Well, I agree. But it shows something interesting in UI. I call it
live-gestures (maybe exists better name). It is different from summoning
gestures where drawing symbol call out some functions. It dynamically
shows what is happing during drawing the gestures and this gestures are
similar to touching a thing. No magic. No drawing symbols. Just
touching. I think Grail was first program that uses this kind of
gestures. No menu is needed for most actions. Menu could be there, but
gestures are shortcuts.

>> another interface:
>>
>> http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid271543545/bctid422563006
>
> This on the other hand is actually an improvement in the UI. We tried
> to do a little of this multi-input stuff years ago on the ActiveBook -
> at Bill Atkinson's urging I believe - but had to do it via two quite
> separate input devices so it was never really very convincing. It will
> of course require non-trivial changes in how we arrange our hardware
> to be useful . Nobody is going to spend a day at work having to hold
> fingers up to typical displays and typical portables would need
> noticeable changes.
>
> The shared aspect may turn out to be a major win as well. Imagine
> traffic control systems working like the demo, where a group of
> controllers can handle the traffic by moving objects around to block
> or permit access to airspace, direct to holding patterns, see the
> progress of all the traffic, etc etc.  Or perhaps group reviewing
> code, making scribble notes, passing blocks of code/notes around. Of
> course as always the real technology driver is likely to be making it
> easy and convenient to sort your porn collection.
>
> tim
> Oxymorons: Clearly misunderstood

And this one... Nothing to say. Genial. I like it :)

    Adam

12