3D model importers

SjaakWolff
Dear Croquet developers,

I am a student at the University of Leiden and i am working on my bachelor
project. My idea was to implement an existing image/3dmodel bio-informatics
database in croquet, where several users can 'walk through' the database and
can look at the images and models that are in it, discuss, annotate and do
whatever with it.

Ive come quite far now with the implementation, however, im having difficulties
with loading 3d models into the croquet world. There is an example tutorial on
www.opencroquet.org where some .obj files are imported (they are accompanied by
.mtl files) which works fine (SanMinimum Island). But when i tried to import
some random .obj files from the internet the system hangs :(

I was hoping i could get some help/tips on how to get a working .obj / .vrml
file 3dmodel importer for croquet.

Yours sincerely,

Sjaak Wolff
([hidden email])

3D model importers

Ankh'nAton
Hey Sjaak!

You wrote:
> I was hoping i could get some help/tips on
> how to get a working .obj / .vrml file
> 3dmodel importer for croquet.

There is a working version of a VRML-Importer in the "hedgehog" monticello
respository. If your models are of VRML without PROTOs, sensors and scripts,
then chances are good to see them inside a Croquet world :)

If you like to load VRML models into "Cobalt", then there is a modificated
version of "CroquetMenuWorld->actionImport" in the Mantis bug tracker, which
let's you load VRML models with Cobalt's menu option "Things/Load from file..."

I had some nice results with coloured "materials", but couldn't get textures to
load.

Cheers...
Thomas Braun

Re: 3D model importers

RichWhite
Our kids use CBModel Pro .. export as .obj from CBModel Pro ....
Import from file into Cobalt -> select mesh -> find your  .obj file ->
select OK

Video that may help --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXGLo_P48LM

Will work with Cobalt if that is what you are using ->
http://www.opencroquet.org/index.php/Cobalt

=========