3dot9, can somebody say where we are in the release process?

3dot9, can somebody say where we are in the release process?

Jerome Peace
Can somebody say where we are in the release process
of 3dot9?

As far as I can see we are somewhere near the finish
of 3dot9 except:

1) There are reports of the sources being corrupted.

2) The need for some really big changes are coming out
of the woodwork.
-- ffi removal and the consequences of that.
-- source file limitations

3) Some problems with condensed sources have become
apparent to some. (see 1)
-- how are these affecting the release?

4) What is the method/process for accepting the final
3dot9?

Accepting is a customer function rather than a
developer function.

-- Who is playing the customer here?

I figure:

1) 3dot9 is done and I am just not aware of it.

2) Its not done but the resources for the doing of it
have been exausted.

3) Its some where near done.

4) We've just discovered what the real problems are.
There will be a considerable delay in its doneness.

----

and either:

1) Its acceptable.

2) Its not acceptable.

So what's the official word(s)?

Yours in service and curiosity, -- Jerome Peace

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: 3dot9, can somebody say where we are in the release process?

Andreas.Raab
Peace Jerome wrote:
> 1) There are reports of the sources being corrupted.

I don't know where this stands but I would recommend just issuing
another update that fixes those methods that are broken instead of
redoing the entire condenseSources process.

> 2) The need for some really big changes are coming out
> of the woodwork.

Not sure what you mean by that.

> -- ffi removal and the consequences of that.

The only consequence is that packages who need it will have to ensure
that the FFI is loaded first. If there are any other issues I'm unaware
of them.

> -- source file limitations

Not sure what these limitations are - one of the reasons for making a
new sources file was precisely to address some of these issues before
they become a problem.

> 3) Some problems with condensed sources have become
> apparent to some. (see 1)
> -- how are these affecting the release?

It seems to me that there may be a problem in condenseSources but since
we can simply reissue an updated with the methods in question fixed,
this is by no means a show-stopper.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: 3dot9, can somebody say where we are in the release process?

stéphane ducasse-2
We are trying to fix the condenseChanges bugs but this is not easy.
I spent some times to try to arrive to a smaller test fixture that
would show the problem.
But so far I have been too busy (esug is approaching and the academic
year too).

I thought that it would be better to ship 3.9 without the bug but I
will discuss with adrian
since he should be back from the military service to see. What we do.

On 27 août 06, at 00:17, Peace Jerome wrote:

> Can somebody say where we are in the release process
> of 3dot9?
>
> As far as I can see we are somewhere near the finish
> of 3dot9 except:
>
> 1) There are reports of the sources being corrupted.

yes

> 2) The need for some really big changes are coming out
> of the woodwork.
> -- ffi removal and the consequences of that.
> -- source file limitations

FFI has been removed
There is no source file limitation since we condenseChanges and
condenseSources in 7054

> 3) Some problems with condensed sources have become
> apparent to some. (see 1)
> -- how are these affecting the release?

See above

> 4) What is the method/process for accepting the final
> 3dot9?

Normally for us we will either find the bug and fix it and ship
or ship 3.9

> Accepting is a customer function rather than a
> developer function.

?
sorry but where is the money of the customer?

> -- Who is playing the customer here?
>

> I figure:
>
> 1) 3dot9 is done and I am just not aware of it.

you have 7054 which is gamma

> 2) Its not done but the resources for the doing of it
> have been exausted.

Not totally but nearly

> 3) Its some where near done.
>
> 4) We've just discovered what the real problems are.
> There will be a considerable delay in its doneness.

Stef