4.0 to the squeak.org

Janko Mivšek
Hi guys,

I want to change links to 4.0 on http://www.squeak.org, but 4.0 is
packaged differently, that is, there is not one .zip ot tar.gz per
platform consisting both VM and image, as it is the case with current
3.10. Can you guys package 4.0 that way too?

Best regards
Janko
WebTeam

Re: 4.0 to the squeak.org

Casey Ransberger
Hmm... AFAIK, I built the files I the 4.0 directory just like the 3.10
directory. The UNIX VMs didn't have a VM packaged with the image.

Casey Ransberger

Re: 4.0 to the squeak.org

Andreas.Raab
On 3/16/2010 10:29 AM, Janko Mivšek wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I want to change links to 4.0 on http://www.squeak.org, but 4.0 is
> packaged differently, that is, there is not one .zip ot tar.gz per
> platform consisting both VM and image, as it is the case with current
> 3.10. Can you guys package 4.0 that way too?

The equivalent links are here:

Windows:
http://ftp.squeak.org/4.0/win/Squeak4.0-win32.zip

Mac:
http://ftp.squeak.org/4.0/mac/Squeak4.0-mac.zip

Linux:
http://ftp.squeak.org/4.0/unix-linux/Squeak-3.10-6.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: 4.0 to the squeak.org

Janko Mivšek
Done!

Only problem is a Linux link, which points to the VM instalation only,
without images. Shall we package that one as kind of one-click installation?

Janko

Casey Ransberger

Re: 4.0 to the squeak.org

Casey Ransberger
AFAIK, even in 3.10, the unix VM was not packaged with the rest. Image
and changes are in the unix directory as Squeak4.0-basic.zip

Casey Ransberger

Re: 4.0 to the squeak.org

Janko Mivšek
Hi Casey,
Another issue, http://ftp.squeak.org/4.0/KNOWNISSUES is still refering
to 3.10.2. It should be reset to 'There are not known issues' or
something, IMHO

Janko

On 16. 03. 2010 19:42, Casey Ransberger wrote:

> Hmm... AFAIK, I built the files I the 4.0 directory just like the 3.10
> directory. The UNIX VMs didn't have a VM packaged with the image.
>
> On Tuesday, March 16, 2010, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I want to change links to 4.0 on http://www.squeak.org, but 4.0 is
>> packaged differently, that is, there is not one .zip ot tar.gz per
>> platform consisting both VM and image, as it is the case with current
>> 3.10. Can you guys package 4.0 that way too?
>>
>> Best regards
>> Janko
>> WebTeam

Re: 4.0 to the squeak.org

Randal L. Schwartz

Janko> Another issue, http://ftp.squeak.org/4.0/KNOWNISSUES is still refering
Janko> to 3.10.2. It should be reset to 'There are not known issues' or
Janko> something, IMHO

Well, there are plenty of known issues, exactly equal to what 3.10.2 had.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: 4.0 to the squeak.org

Göran Krampe
Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Janko> Another issue, http://ftp.squeak.org/4.0/KNOWNISSUES is still refering
> Janko> to 3.10.2. It should be reset to 'There are not known issues' or
> Janko> something, IMHO
>
> Well, there are plenty of known issues, exactly equal to what 3.10.2 had.

Yeah! Please write something saying there are TONS of issues and MOST of
them are already fixed in trunk and will be released as part of 4.1. And
yet again explain that this is a "legal release".

Perhaps in retrospect a version number like "3.99" would have been nice,
but hey too late now. :)

regards, Göran

Re: 4.0 to the squeak.org

Casey Ransberger
I left that files as is precisely because it's the same set of known issues.

Casey Ransberger

Re: 4.0 to the squeak.org

Randal L. Schwartz

Göran> Perhaps in retrospect a version number like "3.99" would have been
Göran> nice, but hey too late now. :)

3.99 wouldn't have let us "condense sources" without a really really
confusing mapping of sources to images.  Lest ye quickly forget
the 3.9 fiasco. :)

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: 4.0 to the squeak.org

Randal L. Schwartz

Casey> I left that files as is precisely because it's the same set of known issues.

I do agree with Göran's comment though.

Can we edit that file to say at the beginning:

    THIS IS RELEASE 4.0.

    There are *no* functional changes between this release
    and 3.10.2 of mmm-dd-yyyy.

    THIS RELEASE MERELY SATISIFIES LEGAL REQUIREMENTS FOR RELICENSING.

    We expect an updated better/faster/cheaper Squeak 4.1 release
    shortly.

    The following text appeared in this file in 3.10.2, and still applies:

Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Göran> Perhaps in retrospect a version number like "3.99" would have been
> Göran> nice, but hey too late now. :)
>
> 3.99 wouldn't have let us "condense sources" without a really really
> confusing mapping of sources to images.  Lest ye quickly forget
> the 3.9 fiasco. :)

Ah, ok!

regards, Göran

Re: 4.0 to the squeak.org

Josh Gargus

On Mar 16, 2010, at 2:50 PM, Göran Krampe wrote:

>> Janko> Another issue, http://ftp.squeak.org/4.0/KNOWNISSUES is still refering
>> Janko> to 3.10.2. It should be reset to 'There are not known issues' or
>> Janko> something, IMHO
>> Well, there are plenty of known issues, exactly equal to what 3.10.2 had.
>
> Yeah! Please write something saying there are TONS of issues and MOST of them are already fixed in trunk and will be released as part of 4.1. And yet again explain that this is a "legal release".

Agreed.  This should be emphasized until we're confident that nobody new to Squeak (or returning from a hiatus) can be unaware of it.

Also, we should start a discussion about how to wrap up 4.1 ASAP.  I think Bert described it well in another thread:
        - decide which bugs need to be fixed for 4.1
        - declare a feature-freeze
        - iterate between fixing the bugs and producing release-candidates
        - push the release out so that trunk can again be open to new development

If we could do this within, say, a month, then we could push out announcements to Slashdot, etc. for 4.0 and 4.1 at the same time... this would make a bigger splash than two separate announcements.

Cheers,
Josh

> Perhaps in retrospect a version number like "3.99" would have been nice, but hey too late now. :)
>
> regards, Göran

Re: 4.0 to the squeak.org

Casey Ransberger
All right, y'all win with yer sensibility:) I'll deal with it when I get home.

Casey Ransberger

Re: 4.0 to the squeak.org

Casey Ransberger
Someone beat me to it:)