4.4 ready?

12

Re: 4.4 ready?

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 04:08:29PM +0000, Frank Shearar wrote:

> On 31 December 2012 15:22, Herbert K?nig <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Am 31.12.2012 15:30, schrieb Frank Shearar:
> >
> >> Regarding the All-in-One, is it sufficient to take the 4.3 one and replace
> >> the Cog and image/changes file in it to produce a new one? frank
> >
> > yes, at least that's what I always do. Replacing all Cog VM's needs some
> > extra care in Linux as to remove all scripts which still point to the old
> > VM. At least from a Windows point of view this is complicated.
>
> Mm, it's not just that: there are bits of VM and plugins scattered all
> over the place.

The 4.3 All-in-One package is using a standard interpreter VM. I think we'll
need some follow up discussion as to which VMs to include in the All-in-One
package for 4.4.

My initial suggestion would be to do the package by replacing only the
image and changes files, which should produce a known-working configuration
for existing platforms.

There are newer intepreter VMs on squeakvm.org, but I am aware of one issue
for the Linux build that might make it inappropriate for the All-in-One
package. The VM is compiled on a relatively new Linux distribution, and
will not run on some older distributions because of a Linux library compatibility
issue.

We may also be able to use Cog VMs at this point, I'm not really sure
which would be best.

Dave

Re: 4.4 ready?

Hannes Hirzel
On 12/31/12, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 04:08:29PM +0000, Frank Shearar wrote:

>> > yes, at least that's what I always do. Replacing all Cog VM's needs
>> > some
>> > extra care in Linux as to remove all scripts which still point to the
>> > old
>> > VM. At least from a Windows point of view this is complicated.
>>
>> Mm, it's not just that: there are bits of VM and plugins scattered all
>> over the place.
>
> The 4.3 All-in-One package is using a standard interpreter VM. I think
> we'll
> need some follow up discussion as to which VMs to include in the All-in-One
> package for 4.4.
>
> My initial suggestion would be to do the package by replacing only the
> image and changes files, which should produce a known-working configuration
> for existing platforms.

+1

> There are newer intepreter VMs on squeakvm.org, but I am aware of one issue
> for the Linux build that might make it inappropriate for the All-in-One
> package. The VM is compiled on a relatively new Linux distribution, and
> will not run on some older distributions because of a Linux library
> compatibility
> issue.
>
> We may also be able to use Cog VMs at this point, I'm not really sure
> which would be best.
>
> Dave

Re: 4.4 ready?

Herbert König
Am 31.12.2012 17:28, schrieb David T. Lewis:
> yes, at least that's what I always do. Replacing all Cog VM's needs some
> extra care in Linux as to remove all scripts which still point to the old
> VM. At least from a Windows point of view this is complicated.
>> Mm, it's not just that: there are bits of VM and plugins scattered all
>> over the place.

I have an all in one derived image running on (not quite recent) Cog on
Linux and Windows. I can replace the two VM's with current Cog but I
usually neglect (delete) Mac as I don't have one.  Not sure if I can do
it before midnight though.

> We may also be able to use Cog VMs at this point, I'm not really sure
> which would be best. Dave

Yes, I assumed that.

Herbert

Re: 4.4 ready?

Frank Shearar-3
On 31 December 2012 18:02, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 31.12.2012 17:28, schrieb David T. Lewis:
>
>> yes, at least that's what I always do. Replacing all Cog VM's needs some
>> extra care in Linux as to remove all scripts which still point to the old
>> VM. At least from a Windows point of view this is complicated.
>>>
>>> Mm, it's not just that: there are bits of VM and plugins scattered all
>>> over the place.
>

> I have an all in one derived image running on (not quite recent) Cog on
> Linux and Windows. I can replace the two VM's with current Cog but I usually
> neglect (delete) Mac as I don't have one.  Not sure if I can do it before
> midnight though.

That's fine. I'm quite happy to declare victory with 12327 (now up on
the ftp server) and wrap up 4.4 (populating its repository & such),
leaving creating follow-on artifacts like the All-in-One for tomorrow.

frank

>> We may also be able to use Cog VMs at this point, I'm not really sure
>> which would be best. Dave
>

> Yes, I assumed that.
>
> Herbert

4.4 ready

glenpaling
Thanks for all you hard work Frank! Happy New Year.

Glen

Re: 4.4 ready

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 12:13:46PM -0800, glenpaling wrote:
> Thanks for all you hard work Frank! Happy New Year.
>
> Glen

+1000

Well done Frank, and a happy new year to all!

Dave

Re: 4.4 ready

Frank Shearar-3
On 31 December 2012 20:36, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 12:13:46PM -0800, glenpaling wrote:
>> Thanks for all you hard work Frank! Happy New Year.
>>
>> Glen
>
> +1000
>
> Well done Frank, and a happy new year to all!
>
> Dave

Thank you very much. I'm rather happy with the automation work I've
added. But mainly, it's thanks to the Squeak community for pitching
in: loads of people have done loads of testing, both those advertising
their contributions on list as well as folks approaching me off-list
to help out.

Also, I should note I've just populated the squeak44 update stream so
things SHOULD now be finished for 4.4 (except for the All-for-One).

frank

Re: 4.4 ready

Chris Cunnington
On 2012-12-31 3:42 PM, Frank Shearar wrote:
> On 31 December 2012 20:36, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 12:13:46PM -0800, glenpaling wrote:
>>> Thanks for all you hard work Frank! Happy New Year.
>>>
>>> Glen
>> +1000
>>
>> Well done Frank, and a happy new year to all!
+1

>> Dave
> Thank you very much. I'm rather happy with the automation work I've
> added.
It's the automation work that really impresses me. I looked at the CI
recently server and was happy to see a proliferation of scripts of
depth. You've really set the template there for future Squeak releases.
Great job. Have some scrumpy. :)

Chris

> But mainly, it's thanks to the Squeak community for pitching
> in: loads of people have done loads of testing, both those advertising
> their contributions on list as well as folks approaching me off-list
> to help out.
>
> Also, I should note I've just populated the squeak44 update stream so
> things SHOULD now be finished for 4.4 (except for the All-for-One).
>
> frank

Re: 4.4 ready

Hannes Hirzel
Happy New Year 2012 and thank you, in particular Frank Shearar for
your immense work in 2012. The integration server is a big step
forward and the automation of of producing releases. Maybe we can have
two or three this year. (an 'unstable' 4.5 release with FileSystem,
Minimal image and Environments and a 'stable' 4.6 release)

I now see the Squeak 4.4-12327 artifact in

http://ftp.squeak.org/4.4/Squeak4.4-12327.zip

This is the 4.4 release?

--Hannes

On 12/31/12, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2012-12-31 3:42 PM, Frank Shearar wrote:

>>> +1000
>>>
>>> Well done Frank, and a happy new year to all!
> +1
>>>
>>> Dave
>> Thank you very much. I'm rather happy with the automation work I've
>> added.
> It's the automation work that really impresses me. I looked at the CI
> recently server and was happy to see a proliferation of scripts of
> depth. You've really set the template there for future Squeak releases.
> Great job. Have some scrumpy. :)
>
> Chris
>> But mainly, it's thanks to the Squeak community for pitching
>> in: loads of people have done loads of testing, both those advertising
>> their contributions on list as well as folks approaching me off-list
>> to help out.
>>
>> Also, I should note I've just populated the squeak44 update stream so
>> things SHOULD now be finished for 4.4 (except for the All-for-One).
>>
>> frank

Re: 4.4 ready?

Herbert König
> Thanks! System-fbs.506 contains the fix. And I beat the
> ReleaseSqueakTrunk job into submission:
> http://squeakci.org/job/ReleaseSqueakTrunk/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/target/Squeak4.4-12326.zip

wanted to start on an allInOne by replacing my images and changes and
the above link doesn't work. All I can get from Jenkins is #12333.

OK I start with putting in the latest Cog VM's, 2640 0f 20-Dec-2012.

Cheers,

Herbert

Re: 4.4 ready?

Frank Shearar-3
On 1 January 2013 18:21, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Thanks! System-fbs.506 contains the fix. And I beat the
>> ReleaseSqueakTrunk job into submission:
>>
>> http://squeakci.org/job/ReleaseSqueakTrunk/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/target/Squeak4.4-12326.zip
>>

> wanted to start on an allInOne by replacing my images and changes and the
> above link doesn't work. All I can get from Jenkins is #12333.

I see.... that's very weird, given that
http://squeakci.org/job/ReleaseSqueakTrunk/30/ has in its artifact
link a 12328.

Which reminds me... I need to bump the Squeak version now!

frank

> OK I start with putting in the latest Cog VM's, 2640 0f 20-Dec-2012.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Herbert

Re: 4.4 ready?

Frank Shearar-3
On 1 January 2013 20:07, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1 January 2013 18:21, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Thanks! System-fbs.506 contains the fix. And I beat the
>>> ReleaseSqueakTrunk job into submission:
>>>
>>> http://squeakci.org/job/ReleaseSqueakTrunk/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/target/Squeak4.4-12326.zip
>>>

>> wanted to start on an allInOne by replacing my images and changes and the
>> above link doesn't work. All I can get from Jenkins is #12333.
>
> I see.... that's very weird, given that
> http://squeakci.org/job/ReleaseSqueakTrunk/30/ has in its artifact
> link a 12328.

Oh dear. Last I checked, 12333 > 12328. The confusion here is that
ReleaseSqueakTrunk should have released something called
Squeak4.5-12333.zip. I'm busy fixing that.

frank

> Which reminds me... I need to bump the Squeak version now!
>
> frank
>
>> OK I start with putting in the latest Cog VM's, 2640 0f 20-Dec-2012.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Herbert

Re: 4.4 ready?

Frank Shearar-3
On 1 January 2013 20:28, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1 January 2013 20:07, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 1 January 2013 18:21, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> wanted to start on an allInOne by replacing my images and changes and the
>>> above link doesn't work. All I can get from Jenkins is #12333.
>>
>> I see.... that's very weird, given that
>> http://squeakci.org/job/ReleaseSqueakTrunk/30/ has in its artifact
>> link a 12328.
>
> Oh dear. Last I checked, 12333 > 12328. The confusion here is that
> ReleaseSqueakTrunk should have released something called
> Squeak4.5-12333.zip. I'm busy fixing that.

http://squeakci.org/job/ReleaseSqueakTrunk/34/artifact/target/Squeak4.5-12334.zip

Thanks for the report!

> frank
>
>> Which reminds me... I need to bump the Squeak version now!
>>
>> frank
>>
>>> OK I start with putting in the latest Cog VM's, 2640 0f 20-Dec-2012.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Herbert

12