4.5 Release Notes (1st draft)

Chris Muller-3
Hi all, here is a first-draft of release notes for 4.5.  I combed
through every MC version of every package since 4.4 release to
identify everything we've accomplished.

   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6193

Quite a list huh?  4.5 has turned out to be a great release!

If I missed anything, please feel free to add it.

Re: 4.5 Release Notes (1st draft)

Tobias Pape

On 07.01.2014, at 18:33, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all, here is a first-draft of release notes for 4.5.  I combed
> through every MC version of every package since 4.4 release to
> identify everything we've accomplished.
>
>   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6193
>
> Quite a list huh?  4.5 has turned out to be a great release!
>
> If I missed anything, please feel free to add it.
>

>> Networking:
>> • Enable handling of HTTP redirects in HTTPSocket.

Note that this is only a hot fix by me so that Metacello works.
It is not actually a Standard-conforming HTTP-301 handling, it does
not work for relative urls.
  We should sort this out...

Best
        -Tobias

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: 4.5 Release Notes (1st draft)

Chris Muller-3
Ok, I took that section out.  If it gets sorted before release we can
put it back.

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 11:41 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 07.01.2014, at 18:33, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all, here is a first-draft of release notes for 4.5.  I combed
>> through every MC version of every package since 4.4 release to
>> identify everything we've accomplished.
>>
>>   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6193
>>
>> Quite a list huh?  4.5 has turned out to be a great release!
>>
>> If I missed anything, please feel free to add it.
>>

>>> Networking:
>>>      • Enable handling of HTTP redirects in HTTPSocket.
>
> Note that this is only a hot fix by me so that Metacello works.
> It is not actually a Standard-conforming HTTP-301 handling, it does
> not work for relative urls.
>   We should sort this out...
>
> Best
>         -Tobias

Re: 4.5 Release Notes (1st draft)

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Chris Muller-3 wrote
Quite a list huh?  4.5 has turned out to be a great release!
Very nice!
Cheers,
Sean

Re: 4.5 Release Notes (1st draft)

Casey Ransberger-2
Beat me to the punch. Drat. Looks good Chris!

> On Jan 7, 2014, at 9:33 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all, here is a first-draft of release notes for 4.5.  I combed
> through every MC version of every package since 4.4 release to
> identify everything we've accomplished.
>
>   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6193
>
> Quite a list huh?  4.5 has turned out to be a great release!
>
> If I missed anything, please feel free to add it.

Re: 4.5 Release Notes (1st draft)

Chris Muller-3
I hope I didn't step on your toes.  :)  Please feel free to make refinements.

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Casey Ransberger
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Beat me to the punch. Drat. Looks good Chris!
>
>> On Jan 7, 2014, at 9:33 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all, here is a first-draft of release notes for 4.5.  I combed
>> through every MC version of every package since 4.4 release to
>> identify everything we've accomplished.
>>
>>   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6193
>>
>> Quite a list huh?  4.5 has turned out to be a great release!
>>
>> If I missed anything, please feel free to add it.

Re: 4.5 Release Notes (1st draft)

Casey Ransberger-2
No worries, man! I've been crazy busy the last few days anyhow. Thanks for getting it done:)

> On Jan 8, 2014, at 11:42 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I hope I didn't step on your toes.  :)  Please feel free to make refinements.
>
> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Casey Ransberger
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Beat me to the punch. Drat. Looks good Chris!
>>
>>> On Jan 7, 2014, at 9:33 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all, here is a first-draft of release notes for 4.5.  I combed
>>> through every MC version of every package since 4.4 release to
>>> identify everything we've accomplished.
>>>
>>>  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6193
>>>
>>> Quite a list huh?  4.5 has turned out to be a great release!
>>>
>>> If I missed anything, please feel free to add it.

Re: 4.5 Release Notes (1st draft)

Frank Shearar-3
On 8 January 2014 23:13, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> No worries, man! I've been crazy busy the last few days anyhow. Thanks for getting it done:)

Seconded - it's a whole pile of work to try summarise hundreds of
commit messages. Tiresome, and underappreciated. Thanks, Chris!

frank

>> I hope I didn't step on your toes.  :)  Please feel free to make refinements.

Re: 4.5 Release Notes (1st draft)

Chris Muller-3
:-)   Thanks guys and I want to say, "thanks" back to Colin and most
everyone else over the last week+ for how we've really put getting 4.5
done, into our focus.  Let's see if we can sprint to the finish by
31-Jan!