5.2alpha "Squeak cannot write to the changes file named /private/var/folders/..." on macOS Sierra

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
bpi
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

5.2alpha "Squeak cannot write to the changes file named /private/var/folders/..." on macOS Sierra

bpi
Dear all,

I downloaded http://files.squeak.org/5.2alpha/Squeak5.2alpha-18019-64bit/Squeak5.2alpha-18019-64bit-201804030952-macOS.zip, extracted it and double-clicked it. The Squeak window opens but an error message appears:

"Squeak cannot write to the changes file named /private/var/folders/.../Squeak5.2alpha-18019-64bit.changes.
Please check you have write permission for this file.
You won't be able to save this image correctly until you fix this."

I am on on macOS Sierra Version 10.12.6 (16G1314).

I can reproduce it every time. When I move the extracted .app to another folder before double-clicking it, the error does not happen. However, I only found that out by chance. Real newbies might not be so lucky.

This should work, i.e. the copying to a different folder should not be necessary, right?

Thank you for giving me something to test. ;-)

Cheers,
Bernhard

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 5.2alpha "Squeak cannot write to the changes file named /private/var/folders/..." on macOS Sierra

fniephaus
Hi Bernhard,

I'm afraid this is known macOS sandboxing behavior. The correct way to fix this is to provide a dmg instead of a zip file which forces users to move the app bundle. We should make the macOS-only bundle only available as dmg. But we can't really do that for the AIO bundle because dmgs are not supported on Windows/Linux.

I'll take care of the dmg packaging in the next couple of days.

Best,
Fabio

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 7:22 PM Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear all,

I downloaded http://files.squeak.org/5.2alpha/Squeak5.2alpha-18019-64bit/Squeak5.2alpha-18019-64bit-201804030952-macOS.zip, extracted it and double-clicked it. The Squeak window opens but an error message appears:

"Squeak cannot write to the changes file named /private/var/folders/.../Squeak5.2alpha-18019-64bit.changes.
Please check you have write permission for this file.
You won't be able to save this image correctly until you fix this."

I am on on macOS Sierra Version 10.12.6 (16G1314).

I can reproduce it every time. When I move the extracted .app to another folder before double-clicking it, the error does not happen. However, I only found that out by chance. Real newbies might not be so lucky.

This should work, i.e. the copying to a different folder should not be necessary, right?

Thank you for giving me something to test. ;-)

Cheers,
Bernhard

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 5.2alpha "Squeak cannot write to the changes file named /private/var/folders/..." on macOS Sierra

Edgar De Cleene
In reply to this post by bpi
You should move the app to Application folder

Sent from my iPhone

> On 26 May 2018, at 14:22, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> I downloaded http://files.squeak.org/5.2alpha/Squeak5.2alpha-18019-64bit/Squeak5.2alpha-18019-64bit-201804030952-macOS.zip, extracted it and double-clicked it. The Squeak window opens but an error message appears:
>
> "Squeak cannot write to the changes file named /private/var/folders/.../Squeak5.2alpha-18019-64bit.changes.
> Please check you have write permission for this file.
> You won't be able to save this image correctly until you fix this."
>
> I am on on macOS Sierra Version 10.12.6 (16G1314).
>
> I can reproduce it every time. When I move the extracted .app to another folder before double-clicking it, the error does not happen. However, I only found that out by chance. Real newbies might not be so lucky.
>
> This should work, i.e. the copying to a different folder should not be necessary, right?
>
> Thank you for giving me something to test. ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> Bernhard
>
>
>