64 bit VM?

Michael Latta

What is the status on the 64 bit VM effort?  Is that VM ready for use?  I am considering a project that Squeak would be good for, but I need a very large image (20GB-2TB).  Can the garbage collector deal with this?  Is there enough locality for the OS virtual memory system to work?  The 64 bit Sun VM has been tested with 100s of GB of heap.  Has anything like this been done in Squeak?

Michael Latta

Re: 64 bit VM?

Stephan Rudlof
Hello Michael,

preliminary note: I'm not a person able to answer your questions. But I
have some myself...

On 23.04.2006 21:25, Michael Latta wrote:
> What is the status on the 64 bit VM effort?  Is that VM ready for use?
> I am considering a project that Squeak would be good for,

> but I need a
> very large image (20GB-2TB).

Wow!
2TB in RAM?

It would be interesting to hear more about the application...

Regards,
Stephan

> Can the garbage collector deal with this?
> Is there enough locality for the OS virtual memory system to work?  The
> 64 bit Sun VM has been tested with 100s of GB of heap.  Has anything
> like this been done in Squeak?
>

> Michael Latta

Stephan Rudlof ([hidden email])

Re: 64 bit VM?

David T. Lewis
On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 12:25:43PM -0700, Michael Latta wrote:
> What is the status on the 64 bit VM effort?  Is that VM ready for use?  I am
> considering a project that Squeak would be good for, but I need a very large
> image (20GB-2TB).  Can the garbage collector deal with this?  Is there
> enough locality for the OS virtual memory system to work?  The 64 bit Sun VM
> has been tested with 100s of GB of heap.  Has anything like this been done
> in Squeak?

The short answer would be "no, it's not ready". But it certainly could be made
ready given some motivation and a bit of work.

There was some recent mention of this topic on the vm-dev list. I don't know
if this is archived anywhere, so I'm attaching a copy of the messages.

I don't know how a large object memory will work with respect to garbage
collection etc, but I don't think that anybody has really tried it, so I
would not be inclined to bet on it for a real project just yet. And certainly
I would not expect an image of the size you are describing to be feasible
at this point.

On the other hand, this is a chicken and egg problem. In the absence of
a real project, nobody is likely to really work on 64 bit images and VMs.
So given that this is *your* project, and there are no adverse consequences
to *me* if it does not work out, I say go for it ;)

Dave

64bit (18K) Download Attachment

RE: 64 bit VM?

Michael Latta
Thanks for the follow-up.  In my earlier experience with Squeak I have
noticed that things are not generally finished more than some project
requires.

It sounds like the basic VM is in pretty good shape, but the plug-ins are in
question.  The project I am looking at is server side only so that makes it
easier.

How does Seaside support multiple users in a single OS process?  I assume
that Squeak does not have any multi-processor support yet.

Michael

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 04:57:22PM -0700, Michael Latta wrote:
> Thanks for the follow-up.  In my earlier experience with Squeak I have
> noticed that things are not generally finished more than some project
> requires.
>
> It sounds like the basic VM is in pretty good shape, but the plug-ins are in
> question.  The project I am looking at is server side only so that makes it
> easier.

Yes, that's right.

> How does Seaside support multiple users in a single OS process?  I assume
> that Squeak does not have any multi-processor support yet.

There is a Seaside mailing list with a number of folks who seem to have
experience with this.

I don't have any experience with it myself, but check out Magma also:
  http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2665
  http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5817

Dave