64 bit vm and image for MacOSX 10.5.x Leopard?

pwl

64 bit vm and image for MacOSX 10.5.x Leopard?

pwl
Hi,

Has anyone created a 64 bit Squeak VM and image for Intel MacOSXdot5
Leopard? If so where is it? I couldn't find it at
http://squeakvm.org/squeak64.

Is the latest mac vm both 32 bit and 64 bit?

How does the mac vm get created? How is that different than creating a
unix vm or a pc vm?

Is there a 64 bit image created for each published image? If not, why
not? If not then how about putting a menu option so it's easy to
generate a 64 bit image (or 32 bit image for that matter) from the
current image? That would be cool to be able to have it transform in
both directions... and to be easy for novices without having to think
about the process... which is really only for us uber technies anyhow.

MacOSX 10.5 is now 64 bits. We need to show off the 64 bit smalltalk to
the world. Can it be done with one FAT binary or with two apps?

Thanks,

Peter

Re: 64 bit vm and image for MacOSX 10.5.x Leopard?

Mathieu SUEN
Hi,

I think your may find your answer here:
http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/faq.html

HTH

On Nov 27, 2007, at 11:19 AM, Peter William Lount wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone created a 64 bit Squeak VM and image for Intel MacOSXdot5
> Leopard? If so where is it? I couldn't find it at
> http://squeakvm.org/squeak64.
>
> Is the latest mac vm both 32 bit and 64 bit?
>
> How does the mac vm get created? How is that different than creating
> a unix vm or a pc vm?
>
> Is there a 64 bit image created for each published image? If not,
> why not? If not then how about putting a menu option so it's easy to
> generate a 64 bit image (or 32 bit image for that matter) from the
> current image? That would be cool to be able to have it transform in
> both directions... and to be easy for novices without having to
> think about the process... which is really only for us uber technies
> anyhow.
>
> MacOSX 10.5 is now 64 bits. We need to show off the 64 bit smalltalk
> to the world. Can it be done with one FAT binary or with two apps?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Peter

        Mth

pwl

Re: 64 bit vm and image for MacOSX 10.5.x Leopard?

pwl
Hi,

Thanks for the link to the page on 64 bit vms:
http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/faq.html. It's is in need of updating.
MacOSX 10.5.x Leopard needs to be added to the question: "For which
hardware/OS combinations is there a 64-bit VM?".

Now that the MacOSX 10.5.x 64 bit Leopard has been released more people
will likely want to use a 64 bit squeak. This version of MacOSX is the
first 64 bit OS that will go big time (ok there is vista too which this
also applies to).

How does the mac vm .app file get created? how does one create a 64 bit
version? Who builds the mac version?

It would be better than nice if there was an official 64 bit download
for Mac and Vista. 64 bits are becoming popular and it's important to
get on the band wagon in terms of letting people easily download it
without having to generate their own vm's and images. Can we add these
as standard builds from now on please? Who makes the standard vm builds
for the Mac and Windows?

Cheers,

Peter

Mathieu Suen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think your may find your answer here:
> http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/faq.html
>
> HTH
>
> On Nov 27, 2007, at 11:19 AM, Peter William Lount wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Has anyone created a 64 bit Squeak VM and image for Intel MacOSXdot5
>> Leopard? If so where is it? I couldn't find it at
>> http://squeakvm.org/squeak64.
>>
>> Is the latest mac vm both 32 bit and 64 bit?
>>
>> How does the mac vm get created? How is that different than creating
>> a unix vm or a pc vm?
>>
>> Is there a 64 bit image created for each published image? If not, why
>> not? If not then how about putting a menu option so it's easy to
>> generate a 64 bit image (or 32 bit image for that matter) from the
>> current image? That would be cool to be able to have it transform in
>> both directions... and to be easy for novices without having to think
>> about the process... which is really only for us uber technies anyhow.
>>
>> MacOSX 10.5 is now 64 bits. We need to show off the 64 bit smalltalk
>> to the world. Can it be done with one FAT binary or with two apps?
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Peter
>>

> Mth

Re: 64 bit vm and image for MacOSX 10.5.x Leopard?

Mathieu SUEN

Then you should ask the vm mailing-list:

Cheers

        Mth

pwl

Re: 64 bit vm and image for MacOSX 10.5.x Leopard?

pwl
Hi,

Thanks again for the link. I'll going the list.

However, what I'm wondering is how the squeak group can set it up so
it's easy for people to get into 64 bit squeak with a single download
and NO effort on their part. That's where the value is - making it easy
for the vast majority. It's why Windows beat Unix (until MacOSX that is)
- ease of use (and low cost). Squeak clearly has low cost, now it needs
ease of use in the 64 bit arena. 64 bit open croquet would also rock.

All the best,

Peter

Mathieu Suen wrote:

> Then you should ask the vm mailing-list:
>
> Cheers
>
>     Mth
>
> On Nov 27, 2007, at 12:44 PM, Peter William Lount wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for the link to the page on 64 bit vms:
>> http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/faq.html. It's is in need of updating.
>> MacOSX 10.5.x Leopard needs to be added to the question: "For which
>> hardware/OS combinations is there a 64-bit VM?".
>>
>> Now that the MacOSX 10.5.x 64 bit Leopard has been released more
>> people will likely want to use a 64 bit squeak. This version of
>> MacOSX is the first 64 bit OS that will go big time (ok there is
>> vista too which this also applies to).
>>
>> How does the mac vm .app file get created? how does one create a 64
>> bit version? Who builds the mac version?
>>
>> It would be better than nice if there was an official 64 bit download
>> for Mac and Vista. 64 bits are becoming popular and it's important to
>> get on the band wagon in terms of letting people easily download it
>> without having to generate their own vm's and images. Can we add
>> these as standard builds from now on please? Who makes the standard
>> vm builds for the Mac and Windows?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Peter
>

>> Mathieu Suen wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I think your may find your answer here:
>>> http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/faq.html
>>>
>>> HTH

>>> Mth

Re: 64 bit vm and image for MacOSX 10.5.x Leopard?

Bert Freudenberg
You should not lump together a 64 bit image and a 64 bit VM. The FAQ
actually goes to considerable length explaining the difference.

As long as nobody actually needs a 64 bit image, progress will be
slow in that department. Who's going to invest serious time just for
a bit of hype? And who is actually held off because a 32 bit image
can only grow to 4 GB? I don't really expect people flocking towards
Squeak if we just had better 64 bit support.

A 64 bit VM, yes, sure, because there are platforms who cannot easily
run 32 bit binaries. OS X fortunately is not 32 bit impaired. And in
theory, a 64 bit VM could also be faster because of less register
pressure, but no benchmarks have confirmed this yet. Looking forward
to those, Dave is doing a great job.

- Bert -

On Nov 27, 2007, at 17:27 , Peter William Lount wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks again for the link. I'll going the list.
>
> However, what I'm wondering is how the squeak group can set it up
> so it's easy for people to get into 64 bit squeak with a single
> download and NO effort on their part. That's where the value is -
> making it easy for the vast majority. It's why Windows beat Unix
> (until MacOSX that is) - ease of use (and low cost). Squeak clearly
> has low cost, now it needs ease of use in the 64 bit arena. 64 bit
> open croquet would also rock.
>
> All the best,
>
> Peter
>

> Mathieu Suen wrote:
>>
>> Then you should ask the vm mailing-list:
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>>     Mth
>>
>> On Nov 27, 2007, at 12:44 PM, Peter William Lount wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the link to the page on 64 bit vms: http://
>>> squeakvm.org/squeak64/faq.html. It's is in need of updating.
>>> MacOSX 10.5.x Leopard needs to be added to the question: "For
>>> which hardware/OS combinations is there a 64-bit VM?".
>>>
>>> Now that the MacOSX 10.5.x 64 bit Leopard has been released more
>>> people will likely want to use a 64 bit squeak. This version of
>>> MacOSX is the first 64 bit OS that will go big time (ok there is
>>> vista too which this also applies to).
>>>
>>> How does the mac vm .app file get created? how does one create a
>>> 64 bit version? Who builds the mac version?
>>>
>>> It would be better than nice if there was an official 64 bit
>>> download for Mac and Vista. 64 bits are becoming popular and it's
>>> important to get on the band wagon in terms of letting people
>>> easily download it without having to generate their own vm's and
>>> images. Can we add these as standard builds from now on please?
>>> Who makes the standard vm builds for the Mac and Windows?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Peter

Re: 64 bit vm and image for MacOSX 10.5.x Leopard?

johnmci

On Nov 27, 2007, at 3:44 AM, Peter William Lount wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the link to the page on 64 bit vms: http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/faq.html
> . It's is in need of updating. MacOSX 10.5.x Leopard needs to be
> added to the question: "For which hardware/OS combinations is there
> a 64-bit VM?".
>
> Now that the MacOSX 10.5.x 64 bit Leopard has been released more
> people will likely want to use a 64 bit squeak. This version of
> MacOSX is the first 64 bit OS that will go big time (ok there is
> vista too which this also applies to).
>
> How does the mac vm .app file get created? how does one create a 64
> bit version? Who builds the mac version?

If someone has funding, why this would happen sooner.

The unix VM is built from time to time by Ian Piumarta, the cocoa
version is unix like with nods to mac support

I build the mac carbon version from time to time, which is mac like
with nods to unix support.
This VM is based on the original code from Squeak Central out of Apple
in the 1994-96 timeframe,
however much of it has changed and the os-7.5.5.-9.x support was
dropped during the transition to MacIntel.

To transition to 64 bit, we need a pure cocoa version, all support
routines need to be check for 64 bit issues, and all the plugins
rebuilt, this is all outside of the issue
of having either the VM in 64bit mode and working with either a 32bit
or 64bit image.

David T Lewis has been looking at the plugins.

Ian and I have been lately talking about the Cocoa implementation.

Lastly I'm not sure a headless os-x VM will run in 64bit mode, I don't
know if anyone has attempted to compile it and confirmed all the
support routines specific to os-x darwin
are working as expected.

--
=
=

On Nov 27, 2007, at 8:34 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2007, at 3:44 AM, Peter William Lount wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for the link to the page on 64 bit vms: http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/faq.html
>> . It's is in need of updating. MacOSX 10.5.x Leopard needs to be
>> added to the question: "For which hardware/OS combinations is there
>> a 64-bit VM?".
>>
>> Now that the MacOSX 10.5.x 64 bit Leopard has been released more
>> people will likely want to use a 64 bit squeak. This version of
>> MacOSX is the first 64 bit OS that will go big time (ok there is
>> vista too which this also applies to).
>>
>> How does the mac vm .app file get created? how does one create a 64
>> bit version? Who builds the mac version?
>
> If someone has funding, why this would happen sooner.
>
> The unix VM is built from time to time by Ian Piumarta, the cocoa
> version is unix like with nods to mac support
>
> I build the mac carbon version from time to time, which is mac like
> with nods to unix support.
> This VM is based on the original code from Squeak Central out of
> Apple in the 1994-96 timeframe,
> however much of it has changed and the os-7.5.5.-9.x support was
> dropped during the transition to MacIntel.
>
> To transition to 64 bit, we need a pure cocoa version, all support
> routines need to be check for 64 bit issues, and all the plugins
> rebuilt, this is all outside of the issue
> of having either the VM in 64bit mode and working with either a
> 32bit or 64bit image.
>
> David T Lewis has been looking at the plugins.
>
> Ian and I have been lately talking about the Cocoa implementation.
>
> Lastly I'm not sure a headless os-x VM will run in 64bit mode, I
> don't know if anyone has attempted to compile it and confirmed all
> the support routines specific to os-x darwin
> are working as expected.

I have compiled a 64bit VM on mac intel ; a carbon version. I have
take the latest source from svn .
A had to fix a lot of methods which use int and replace it by sqInt.
But even if I manage to compile it the VM doesn't work.
When I open the image nothing happen and I am obliged to kill the
process.

> --
> =
> =