64Bit image on Squeak Cocoa 5.7.4 VM

Tobias Pape

Hi —

I've just traced my first 64bit image
using the SystemTracer.

The ckformat utility reports the Version
number as 68002 (i.e. really a 64bit image).

As far as I know, the 5.7.4 Cocoa Vm is
a Combined (or how to call it) 32bit/64bit vm,
but it tells me:

This interpreter (vers. 0) cannot read image file (vers. 68002).
Press CR to quit...

which is a bit dissapointing. Did I misinterpret
the line in the Menu bar that says
‘Squeak VM Host 64/32bits’?

So Long,
        -Tobias

Re: 64Bit image on Squeak Cocoa 5.7.4 VM

Henrik Sperre Johansen

On 13.04.2011 22:35, Tobias Pape wrote:

> Hi —
>
> I've just traced my first 64bit image
> using the SystemTracer.
>
> The ckformat utility reports the Version
> number as 68002 (i.e. really a 64bit image).
>
> As far as I know, the 5.7.4 Cocoa Vm is
> a Combined (or how to call it) 32bit/64bit vm,
> but it tells me:
>
> This interpreter (vers. 0) cannot read image file (vers. 68002).
> Press CR to quit...
>
> which is a bit dissapointing. Did I misinterpret
> the line in the Menu bar that says
> ‘Squeak VM Host 64/32bits’?
>
> So Long,
> -Tobias
It means the VM internally is 64bit, while it runs 32bit images.
You'd need a 64/64bits VM to run your image.

I'm pretty certain you can find one for download by searching the list.
If not, it (was at least) one of the targets in the XCode project you
can find in iOS platform in trunk. (10.5 SDK iirc)
Not quite sure which version of VMMaker you'd need to use to generate
sources though.

Cheers,
Henry

Re: 64Bit image on Squeak Cocoa 5.7.4 VM

David T. Lewis

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 01:16:42AM +0200, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:

> On 13.04.2011 22:35, Tobias Pape wrote:
> >
> >Hi ?
> >
> >I've just traced my first 64bit image
> >using the SystemTracer.
> >
> >The ckformat utility reports the Version
> >number as 68002 (i.e. really a 64bit image).
> >
> >As far as I know, the 5.7.4 Cocoa Vm is
> >a Combined (or how to call it) 32bit/64bit vm,
> >but it tells me:
> >
> >This interpreter (vers. 0) cannot read image file (vers. 68002).
> >Press CR to quit...
> >
> >which is a bit dissapointing. Did I misinterpret
> >the line in the Menu bar that says
> >?Squeak VM Host 64/32bits??
> >
> >So Long,
> > -Tobias
> It means the VM internally is 64bit, while it runs 32bit images.
> You'd need a 64/64bits VM to run your image.
>
> I'm pretty certain you can find one for download by searching the list.
> If not, it (was at least) one of the targets in the XCode project you
> can find in iOS platform in trunk. (10.5 SDK iirc)
> Not quite sure which version of VMMaker you'd need to use to generate
> sources though.

Any recent VMMaker (trunk version, not oscog) will do. For that matter,
the source distributions on squeakvm.org/unix would work because it's
just a compile time option, but some of the plugins are not updated
to work when compiled 64-bit so it's a lot easier to generate the
sources you want out of VMMaker.

Dave