A $140 pc for running Squeak

timrowledge
I just got my pi-top CEED (don’t ask me what that stands for…) and after a few minutes setup - inserting the SD card into the provided Pi3, connecting up a couple of cables, inserting the little plastic-magnet ‘feet’ etc - I was up and running.

What on earth is a pi-top CEED you ask? Well, think of a small iMac all-in-one with a quite decent 14” lcd and a pi3 inside. Add your own spare mouse/kbd, plug together, insert power plug (psu provided) and press  the Magic Button. A moment later you have … what? Err, this is a bit odd looking… ah, escape to a normal desktop and all is well. Run some updating to get stuff sorted out a little (the Scratch version definitely needs updating for example) and all is well.

It’s a Pi3 in a nice case with a nice display, a beefy power supply, a neat way of providing space for some add-ons, a proper power switch and a slightly odd OS wrapper. See www.pi-top.com for more details.

For US$140! OK, so maybe you have to spend $20 on a mouse & keyboard too. And perhaps you want their speaker unit for another $20. You can get just the lcd/case/pus for $99 if you already have a spare Pi. Given that the Pi 7” touch lcd is $70 on its own, this seems a steal to me.

I’m planning to use my three in Scratch classes over the summer.

tim
All the simple programs have been written, and all the good names taken.

Re: A $140 pc for running Squeak

Ben Coman
On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 7:32 AM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just got my pi-top CEED (don’t ask me what that stands for…) and after a few minutes setup - inserting the SD card into the provided Pi3, connecting up a couple of cables, inserting the little plastic-magnet ‘feet’ etc - I was up and running.
>
> What on earth is a pi-top CEED you ask? Well, think of a small iMac all-in-one with a quite decent 14” lcd and a pi3 inside. Add your own spare mouse/kbd, plug together, insert power plug (psu provided) and press  the Magic Button. A moment later you have … what? Err, this is a bit odd looking… ah, escape to a normal desktop and all is well. Run some updating to get stuff sorted out a little (the Scratch version definitely needs updating for example) and all is well.
>
> It’s a Pi3 in a nice case with a nice display, a beefy power supply, a neat way of providing space for some add-ons, a proper power switch and a slightly odd OS wrapper. See www.pi-top.com for more details.
>
> For US$140! OK, so maybe you have to spend $20 on a mouse & keyboard too. And perhaps you want their speaker unit for another $20. You can get just the lcd/case/pus for $99 if you already have a spare Pi. Given that the Pi 7” touch lcd is $70 on its own, this seems a steal to me.
>
> I’m planning to use my three in Scratch classes over the summer.

Nice. I'd been interested in the pi-to before. First time seeing this,
and a bit cheaper.  Though I liked the picture of a pi-top showing a
breadboard rather than a protoboard.  What age group are you working
with?

cheers -ben

A $140 pc for running Squeak

Kjell Godo
that's very nice

personally i want just a small
pocket sized box with more RAM +
HDMI , USB , Ethernet , power
like a pocket Linux PC

is there a link for that ?

 i didn't find it yet
it must be on Amazon next to the
pocket Windows 10 PCs
i like pocket

On Thursday, June 30, 2016, tim Rowledge <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;tim@rowledge.org&#39;);" target="_blank">tim@...> wrote:
[...]

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Tim,

Thanks for posting this.  Do you know if there is any software that would run on this and work
well that can convert speech to text and display it in large type on the screen?  My dad is 100
years old (really) and his hearing is all but gone and his vision is poor.  If we could speak
into a device like this, he could read it and I think he would be able to understand what we
are saying.  We aren't looking to have long conversations, just get him to understand when we
need to tell him something.  I think we could do this with an iPad but it is substantially more
money.

Lou

--
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.

Re: A $140 pc for running Squeak

timrowledge

> On 01-07-2016, at 6:14 AM, Louis LaBrunda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Do you know if there is any software that would run on this and work
> well that can convert speech to text and display it in large type on the screen?

There is a fair bit of text to speech and vice versa on the Pi. I have no direct experience with any of them  and the nearest I’ve got is pondering using something like www.festvox.org stuff to add actual speech to Scratch. Some googling for ‘raspberrypi text to speech’ offers quite a few interesting looking options - ‘Jasper’ has been highlighted on the pi blog a couple of times.

I can imagine running something like that and using it to provide the text for Squeak to display. A Pi has plenty of power these days, and with 4 cores at 1.2GHz we really can’t complain.

tim
"Bother!" said Pooh, searching for the $10m winning lottery ticket.

Re: A $140 pc for running Squeak

timrowledge

> On 30-06-2016, at 11:13 PM, Kjell Godo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> that's very nice
>
> personally i want just a small
> pocket sized box with more RAM +
> HDMI , USB , Ethernet , power
> like a pocket Linux PC

I think we call them ‘cellphones’ these days?

tim
I am still waiting for the advent of the computer science groupie.

A $140 pc for running Squeak

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the response.  What we really need is speech to text, kind of like what people do
when they talk to Siri and the text is typed into a file.  If we could get short sentences
displayed in large text my dad could read it and know what we are talking about.  We try to
write things down for him but it is hard to write not too big, not too small and not too skinny
so he can read it.  We have tried typing on a cheap tablet (too old and slow for speech to
text) and he can read it but it takes too long to type things.  I think an iPad would work (a
lady at the VA tried it on a smart phone which got the text right but it was too small for him
to read) so if the Raspberry 3 is fast enough to convert speech to text, that would be great.

Thanks again, Lou

--
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon

Re: A $140 pc for running Squeak

timrowledge
I managed to be pretty unclear about what Jasper is - which is to say a speech input system.

https://jasperproject.github.io

tim
No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood

A $140 pc for running Squeak

Louis LaBrunda
Thanks Tim, I will check it out.

Lou

--
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon

Re: A $140 pc for running Squeak

Kjell Godo
Yes

tim Rowledge; <a href="javascript:;" onclick="_e(event, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;tim@rowledge.org&#39;)">tim@...; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
I am still waiting for the advent of the computer science groupie.

Re: A $140 pc for running Squeak

Kjell Godo
i have a Windows 10 PC
that is the size of a cellphone actually it's smaller
but heavier     and runs hot
it has WIFI HDMI Ethernet and USB
it's the only one with Ethernet i could find

i haven't looked for a Linux one yet

if i could get one with the 3 ports
HDMI  Ethernet  USB

if it could be a rasberry pi with Squeak and Scratch
that could be nice    would that be nice?
or would just straight Linux be best
i guess i could just stick Linux on the Windows 10 device
And squeak and scratch or anything else
so I've got the ports i like
HDMI Ethernet USB
in this device
and i can stick Linux squeak scratch on there
lots of different ways
so i guess you just get the ports you like
and then you can stick anything else on there you want
it doesn't have to remain Windows 10

i would like to make a tomatoe growing robot
that hanging tomato growing unit
has been sitting there for a decade     unopened
we don't have enough sunlight to make it work        grow light
i guess just a rasberry pi in a plastic box
would work for that

if that could connect to a
HDMI Ethernet USB device via Ethernet
could that work?  would that be good?
is there some other way?  that people use
can squeak/scratch talk to squeak/scratch via Ethernet ? wifi?

so i guess i could use one of these $140 piTops
to run the tomatoe robot

but i kind of think i would rather have a pocket
pi Linux running a monitor and keyboard
and just run the Ethernet cable over there
to the robot
every now and again
or wifi to it i guess         but we seem to get a lot of wifi interference

probably connecting piTop to a pocket Linux or
even a pocket Windows
via wifi or USB or Ethernet using sockets would be easiest
yes
it's the communication part i have never tried yet
sockets?
and it would be so cool

maybe i could even get my wife in on it
she did Smalltalk in college before she entered into the dark side

i don't know the mechanics
but i guess i have access to a kid who knows that

so basically it's just a failure to communicate
that stops it

On Friday, July 1, 2016, Kjell Godo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes

On Friday, July 1, 2016, tim Rowledge <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;tim@rowledge.org&#39;);" target="_blank">tim@...> wrote:

> On 30-06-2016, at 11:13 PM, Kjell Godo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> that's very nice
>
> personally i want just a small
> pocket sized box with more RAM +
> HDMI , USB , Ethernet , power
> like a pocket Linux PC

I think we call them ‘cellphones’ these days?

tim
I am still waiting for the advent of the computer science groupie.

Re: A $140 pc for running Squeak

timrowledge
Err, Kjell, you know that you can buy *just* a Pi for US$35 right? And that it has hdmi/usb*4/ethernet/wifi/bt ? And Raspbian is a version of Debian, with Scratch provided and Squeak supported within the All-in-One package?

The Pi-top is a nice box-with-display to put it in, that’s all. You can get a nice 7” lcd screen for it if you want a local display that is smaller. And many, many cases are on the market. And you can use xrdp etc to have it headless with the UI on another machine.

I’m fairly sure I’ve seen a setup like you seem to want described on the www.raspberrypi.org site. Take a look.

tim
Strange OpCodes: PIC: Permute Instruction Codes

Re: A $140 pc for running Squeak

Ben Coman
On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 3:58 AM, Louis LaBrunda
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> Thanks for the response.  What we really need is speech to text, kind of like what people do
> when they talk to Siri and the text is typed into a file.  If we could get short sentences
> displayed in large text my dad could read it and know what we are talking about.  We try to
> write things down for him but it is hard to write not too big, not too small and not too skinny
> so he can read it.  We have tried typing on a cheap tablet (too old and slow for speech to
> text) and he can read it but it takes too long to type things.  I think an iPad would work

> (a lady at the VA tried it on a smart phone which got the text right but it was too small for him
> to read)

Have you tried connecting such a smart phone to larger screen via
hdmi?  Then you could also use the build in camera for things like
this...
http://www.assistireland.ie/eng/Information/Information_Sheets/Apps_for_People_with_Disabilities_and_Older_People.html#Apps
for People with Visual Impairments

cheers -ben

> so if the Raspberry 3 is fast enough to convert speech to text, that would be great.
>
> Thanks again, Lou
>

>>> On 01-07-2016, at 6:14 AM, Louis LaBrunda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>  Do you know if there is any software that would run on this and work
>>> well that can convert speech to text and display it in large type on the screen?
>>
>>There is a fair bit of text to speech and vice versa on the Pi. I have no direct experience with any of them  and the nearest I’ve got is pondering using something like www.festvox.org stuff to add actual speech to Scratch. Some googling for ‘raspberrypi text to speech’ offers quite a few interesting looking options - ‘Jasper’ has been highlighted on the pi blog a couple of times.
>>
>>I can imagine running something like that and using it to provide the text for Squeak to display. A Pi has plenty of power these days, and with 4 cores at 1.2GHz we really can’t complain.
>>
>>tim
> --
> Louis LaBrunda
> Keystone Software Corp.
> SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon

A $140 pc for running Squeak

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately no one in the household has a smart phone capable of
doing the speech to text part.  It was a nurse at the veterans administration that gave that a
try.  I think an iPad would work but cost is part of the equation.  I'm exploring options to
find the least expensive solution that will work.

Lou

--
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon

Re: A $140 pc for running Squeak

timrowledge

> On 30-06-2016, at 9:04 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
{snip}
>   What age group are you working

Sorry, forgot to answer this; we’re setting up  kids summer camp deal aimed at 12-16 range. Classes in Scratch, robotics, 3d printing, alternative energy, simple electrics and electronics, skynet programming and global revolution planning. See https://makerspacenanaimo.org/stemosity/ for a still rather undeveloped website. In particular the “how to bring down your nation with a stupid referendum” section needs work.

We’ve done quite a few events and one-time classes up here in the wilds of the Great White North and it seems to be popular.

tim
Useful random insult:- People around her are at risk of second hand idiocy.

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 12:31 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 30-06-2016, at 9:04 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> {snip}
>>   What age group are you working
>
> Sorry, forgot to answer this; we’re setting up  kids summer camp deal aimed at 12-16 range. Classes in Scratch, robotics, 3d printing, alternative energy, simple electrics and electronics, skynet programming and global revolution planning. See https://makerspacenanaimo.org/stemosity/ for a still rather undeveloped website. In particular the “how to bring down your nation with a stupid referendum” section needs work.
>
> We’ve done quite a few events and one-time classes up here in the wilds of the Great White North and it seems to be popular.

Thanks for the link. Looks like a nice setup.
My daughters are 6 & 8, so I like to keep tabs on stuff being done
with different age groups.  Need to get my girls into Scratch soon.
cheers -ben