Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
46 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A Bounty for CMake-ifying stack/Cog vm build process

timrowledge
So, how’s the bounty Hunting going? Been a bit quiet.

I see the cleanups for the plugin code arrangement and they are good. I think. I’d really like to see the full solution to my problem sometime soon so I can send MONEY to someone. Just think of it; $1000 will get you a nice iPad Air and plenty left over to fill it with books or music or apps.

Or, if it turns out a bunch of people get together to solve the problem, I can happily split the dosh, or even make it a donation to squeak foundation or pharo foundation as appropriate.

tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
= I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [Vm-dev] [squeak-dev] A Bounty for CMake-ifying stack/Cog vm build process

Tobias Pape
On 22.11.2013, at 10:22, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> so the conclusion was the the process for the pharo-vm is not a match?

Using the pharo-vm process would be the easiest start, and the most
unifying one, to be frank.
  Tho I'd do it different, but I am not doing a thing there, I'd say
lets go for it.

Best
        -Tobias

>
> On 2013-11-22, at 04:11, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> So, how’s the bounty Hunting going? Been a bit quiet.
>>
>> I see the cleanups for the plugin code arrangement and they are good. I think. I’d really like to see the full solution to my problem sometime soon so I can send MONEY to someone. Just think of it; $1000 will get you a nice iPad Air and plenty left over to fill it with books or music or apps.
>>
>> Or, if it turns out a bunch of people get together to solve the problem, I can happily split the dosh, or even make it a donation to squeak foundation or pharo foundation as appropriate.
>>
>> tim
>> --
>> tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
>> Useful Latin Phrases:- Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
>> = I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment
tty
Reply | Threaded
|

tty
In reply to this post by Eliot Miranda-2
While upgrading my Slackware to 14.1 so I could install Bochs and re-compiling my apps I saw that esr's gpsd requires something called scons for  its build system:

http://www.scons.org

Here is an example from the docs:

Here's the famous "Hello, World!" program in C:

int       main()       {           printf("Hello, world!\n");       }    

And here's how to build it using SCons. Enter the following into a file named SConstruct:

Program('hello.c')    

This minimal configuration file gives SCons two pieces of information: what you want to build (an executable program), and the input file from which you want it built (the hello.c file). Program is a builder_method, a Python call that tells SCons that you want to build an executable program.

That's it. Now run the scons command to build the program. On a POSIX-compliant system like Linux or UNIX, you'll see something like:

% scons       scons: Reading SConscript files ...       scons: done reading SConscript files.       scons: Building targets ...       cc -o hello.o -c hello.c       cc -o hello hello.o       scons: done building targets.    

On a Windows system with the Microsoft Visual C++ compiler, you'll see something like:

C:\>scons       scons: Reading SConscript files ...       scons: done reading SConscript files.       scons: Building targets ...       cl /Fohello.obj /c hello.c /nologo       link /nologo /OUT:hello.exe hello.obj       embedManifestExeCheck(target, source, env)       scons: done building targets.    

Has anybody poked around this thing?

tty

Reply | Threaded
|

Tom Rushworth-2
I've used both scons and its re-write waf.

I consider them to be the true "next generation" build tools.  As far
ahead of all the various "make" flavors as git and hg are ahead of cvs.

They both have decent docs and user communities, but there is a bit of a
learning curve :(.

On 13-11-28 17:47 , gettimothy wrote:

> While upgrading my Slackware to 14.1 so I could install Bochs and re-compiling my apps I saw that esr's gpsd requires something called scons for  its build system:
>
> http://www.scons.org
>
> Here is an example from the docs:
>
>
>  Here's the famous "Hello, World!" program in C:
>  int main() { printf("Hello, world!\n"); }  And here's how to build it using SCons. Enter the following into a file named SConstruct:
>  Program('hello.c')  This minimal configuration file gives SCons two pieces of information: what you want to build (an executable program), and the input file from which you want it built (the hello.c file). Program is a builder_method, a Python call that tells SCons that you want to build an executable program.
>  That's it. Now run the scons command to build the program. On a POSIX-compliant system like Linux or UNIX, you'll see something like:
>  % scons scons: Reading SConscript files ... scons: done reading SConscript files. scons: Building targets ... cc -o hello.o -c hello.c cc -o hello hello.o scons: done building targets.  On a Windows system with the Microsoft Visual C++ compiler, you'll see something like:
>  C:\&gt;scons scons: Reading SConscript files ... scons: done reading SConscript files. scons: Building targets ... cl /Fohello.obj /c hello.c /nologo link /nologo /OUT:hello.exe hello.obj embedManifestExeCheck(target, source, env) scons: done building targets.  
> Has anybody poked around this thing?

Not I.  Do you have specific questions?
>
> tty
>
Regards,

--
Tom Rushworth

tty
Reply | Threaded
|

tty
Thanks, Tom

I watched a video a while ago where VisualWorks had an object for an .ini file.

I have also seen interest to move the build system into the Smalltalk environment itself.

I saw Program{'hello.c'}  and thought  "SomeAppropriatelyNamedSmalltalkClass  generateBuildSystem platform: #pdp11 ...."

I will re-adress this when I can get the Stack VM running and get a handle on the present build system.

Cordially,

tty

---- On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 11:32:56 -0800 Tom Rushworth<[hidden email]> wrote ----

I consider them to be the true "next generation" build tools. As far

> While upgrading my Slackware to 14.1 so I could install Bochs and re-compiling my apps I saw that esr's gpsd requires something called scons for its build system:
>
>
>
>
> Here's the famous "Hello, World!" program in C:
> int main() { printf("Hello, world!\n"); } And here's how to build it using SCons. Enter the following into a file named SConstruct:
> Program('hello.c') This minimal configuration file gives SCons two pieces of information: what you want to build (an executable program), and the input file from which you want it built (the hello.c file). Program is a builder_method, a Python call that tells SCons that you want to build an executable program.
> That's it. Now run the scons command to build the program. On a POSIX-compliant system like Linux or UNIX, you'll see something like:
> % scons scons: Reading SConscript files ... scons: done reading SConscript files. scons: Building targets ... cc -o hello.o -c hello.c cc -o hello hello.o scons: done building targets. On a Windows system with the Microsoft Visual C++ compiler, you'll see something like:
> C:\&gt;scons scons: Reading SConscript files ... scons: done reading SConscript files. scons: Building targets ... cl /Fohello.obj /c hello.c /nologo link /nologo /OUT:hello.exe hello.obj embedManifestExeCheck(target, source, env) scons: done building targets.

Not I. Do you have specific questions?
>
> tty
>
Regards,

--
Tom Rushworth

Reply | Threaded
|

Igor Stasenko

On 30 November 2013 00:21, gettimothy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, Tom

I watched a video a while ago where VisualWorks had an object for an .ini file.

I have also seen interest to move the build system into the Smalltalk environment itself.

I saw Program{'hello.c'}  and thought  "SomeAppropriatelyNamedSmalltalkClass  generateBuildSystem platform: #pdp11 ...."

.. yes, and we have one:

PharoVMBuilder build

:)

I will re-adress this when I can get the Stack VM running and get a handle on the present build system.

Cordially,

tty

---- On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 11:32:56 -0800 Tom Rushworth<[hidden email]> wrote ----

I consider them to be the true "next generation" build tools. As far

> While upgrading my Slackware to 14.1 so I could install Bochs and re-compiling my apps I saw that esr's gpsd requires something called scons for its build system:
>
>
>
>
> Here's the famous "Hello, World!" program in C:
> int main() { printf("Hello, world!\n"); } And here's how to build it using SCons. Enter the following into a file named SConstruct:
> Program('hello.c') This minimal configuration file gives SCons two pieces of information: what you want to build (an executable program), and the input file from which you want it built (the hello.c file). Program is a builder_method, a Python call that tells SCons that you want to build an executable program.
> That's it. Now run the scons command to build the program. On a POSIX-compliant system like Linux or UNIX, you'll see something like:
> % scons scons: Reading SConscript files ... scons: done reading SConscript files. scons: Building targets ... cc -o hello.o -c hello.c cc -o hello hello.o scons: done building targets. On a Windows system with the Microsoft Visual C++ compiler, you'll see something like:
> C:\&gt;scons scons: Reading SConscript files ... scons: done reading SConscript files. scons: Building targets ... cl /Fohello.obj /c hello.c /nologo link /nologo /OUT:hello.exe hello.obj embedManifestExeCheck(target, source, env) scons: done building targets.

Not I. Do you have specific questions?
>
> tty
>
Regards,

--
Tom Rushworth

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.