Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

A LayoutPolicy for non-formulaic layouts

timrowledge
Currently there are three morphic layout polices; TableLayout, ProportionalLayout and nil. Table & Proportional do formula based laying out and nil just leaves each morph where its position put it.

For various reasons I need a policy that can be more morph specific, without wanting to go overboard with sophisticated gew-gaws. So I implemented (well honestly it’s a bit of a stretch to call a subclass with one method implementing, but there y’go) ‘DelegatedLayout’ which is a singleton class that just passes the #layout:in: message off to the morph that is the first argument by sending it  #fixUpLayoutIn: {the second argument}. My morphs (that need this policy) then just implement #layoutPolicy to return `DelegatedLayout new`, which returns the singleton instance. After that, they are integrated into the whole #fullBounds/#doLayoutIn: system of updating. I’ve had so very much fun debugging the side-effects of this change, finding an amazing number of recursions and other semantic infelicities.

One could of course go for a parameterised version where the selector is set by the user but I think that may be going too far.

If anyone is interested in the idea I’m happy to stick it into the general trunk but I thought I’d
a) see if it has any attraction
b) see if anyone has clever improvements
before just doing it.

tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Strange OpCodes: DST: Deadlock System Tables

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: A LayoutPolicy for non-formulaic layouts

Chris Muller-3
It sounds like a good candidate for the Inbox, so we can get a better
understanding of our interest.

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 7:56 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Currently there are three morphic layout polices; TableLayout, ProportionalLayout and nil. Table & Proportional do formula based laying out and nil just leaves each morph where its position put it.
>
> For various reasons I need a policy that can be more morph specific, without wanting to go overboard with sophisticated gew-gaws. So I implemented (well honestly it’s a bit of a stretch to call a subclass with one method implementing, but there y’go) ‘DelegatedLayout’ which is a singleton class that just passes the #layout:in: message off to the morph that is the first argument by sending it  #fixUpLayoutIn: {the second argument}. My morphs (that need this policy) then just implement #layoutPolicy to return `DelegatedLayout new`, which returns the singleton instance. After that, they are integrated into the whole #fullBounds/#doLayoutIn: system of updating. I’ve had so very much fun debugging the side-effects of this change, finding an amazing number of recursions and other semantic infelicities.
>
> One could of course go for a parameterised version where the selector is set by the user but I think that may be going too far.
>
> If anyone is interested in the idea I’m happy to stick it into the general trunk but I thought I’d
> a) see if it has any attraction
> b) see if anyone has clever improvements
> before just doing it.
>
> tim
> --
> tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
> Strange OpCodes: DST: Deadlock System Tables
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

marcel.taeumel (old)
In reply to this post by timrowledge
Hmmm.... Every morph can have its own layout. In the process of layouting, the policy gets the chance to access all morph properties in the call #layout:in:. As far as I understand this framework, it can be *very* morph-specific as we see with the morph flags #hResizing, #vResizing, #disableTableLayout, ...

In your case, as far as I understood it, just give all your morphs this singleton policy. Where is the problem? Do you want to propagate this layout automatically to all morphs in a submorph hierarchy?

I think that your way of delegating the layout-call from the policy to the morph breaks several assumptions about #fullBounds and #doLayoutIn:. Anyway, you need to be sure to not trigger a layout update of the morph whose submorphs you are currently layouting in the call. :) I feel that your need has to be addressed somehow differently.

Note: In my projects, I implemented parts of the TableLayout policy again in some less flexible way to avoid several problems that TableLayouts have. If, for example, I only want to layout things vertically, I subclass a VerticalLayout and just put those morphs in a column. Faster and less buggy than TableLayout. TableLayout needs way more testing and fixing. :)

Best,
Marcel
Reply | Threaded
|

Karl Ramberg

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 5:29 PM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hmmm.... Every morph can have its own layout. In the process of layouting,
the policy gets the chance to access all morph properties in the call
#layout:in:. As far as I understand this framework, it can be *very*
morph-specific as we see with the morph flags #hResizing, #vResizing,
#disableTableLayout, ...

In your case, as far as I understood it, just give all your morphs this
singleton policy. Where is the problem? Do you want to propagate this layout
automatically to all morphs in a submorph hierarchy?

I think that your way of delegating the layout-call from the policy to the
morph breaks several assumptions about #fullBounds and #doLayoutIn:. Anyway,
you need to be sure to not trigger a layout update of the morph whose
submorphs you are currently layouting in the call. :) I feel that your need
has to be addressed somehow differently.

Note: In my projects, I implemented parts of the TableLayout policy again in
some less flexible way to avoid several problems that TableLayouts have. If,
for example, I only want to layout things vertically, I subclass a
VerticalLayout and just put those morphs in a column. Faster and less buggy
than TableLayout. TableLayout needs way more testing and fixing. :)

+1

Layout is quite hard to get working right.

cheers,
Karl 

Best,
Marcel

--
View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/A-LayoutPolicy-for-non-formulaic-layouts-tp4748906p4749188.html
Sent from the Squeak - Dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge
In reply to this post by marcel.taeumel (old)

On 14-03-2014, at 9:29 AM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmmm.... Every morph can have its own layout.

Indeed - and nothing about a DelegatedLayout changes that. Since I know what I want my morphs to do I simply chose to explicitly return the policy instead of having an individual instance in the extension for each of hundreds of morphs. Space saving, I call it. If one wanted to use the extension, no problem.

> In the process of layouting,
> the policy gets the chance to access all morph properties in the call
> #layout:in:. As far as I understand this framework, it can be *very*
> morph-specific as we see with the morph flags #hResizing, #vResizing,
> #disableTableLayout, …

And nothing changes with DelegatedLayout.

>
> In your case, as far as I understood it, just give all your morphs this
> singleton policy. Where is the problem? Do you want to propagate this layout
> automatically to all morphs in a submorph hierarchy?

In this particular case there is no subclass related issue, so it doesn’t matter.

>
> I think that your way of delegating the layout-call from the policy to the
> morph breaks several assumptions about #fullBounds and #doLayoutIn:. Anyway,
> you need to be sure to not trigger a layout update of the morph whose
> submorphs you are currently layouting in the call. :) I feel that your need
> has to be addressed somehow differently.

Nothing changes from any of the currently in-system layout policies. They all have to take some care with the same things. And actually, most of the time it is perfectly ok to do something that sends #layoutChanged since the fullBounds are not re-set until after the layout has completed.  However, it is indeed very easy to make complexly recursive code that causes all sorts of problems. How do we think I noticed how annoying the interrupt key code is? Oh yes, because I screwed up and made a deep recursion that I couldn’t stop.

>
> Note: In my projects, I implemented parts of the TableLayout policy again in
> some less flexible way to avoid several problems that TableLayouts have. If,
> for example, I only want to layout things vertically, I subclass a
> VerticalLayout and just put those morphs in a column.

Yes, that sounds like a good idea. Many TableLayouts are just rows or columns and would almost certainly better handle by an explicit kind of policy. Please submit one ;-)

> Faster and less buggy
> than TableLayout. TableLayout needs way more testing and fixing. :)

It almost certainly needs some optimisation, too.

A secondary issue I’ve noticed is that the very generic #layoutChanged notification can be a pain because you have no context about what sort of change, where. A single morph deep in a tree of morphs has a tiny change that actually won’t affect any layout at all, but the notification goes all the way to the top morph and causes a lot of work that didn’t need to be done. Some better way of handling this might speed up the UI a lot. Unless I’ve misunderstood things, which is of course always a possibility.

tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Watch out for off-by-one errorss.