A Lisper asks, "Am I supposed to like Smalltalk?"

1234

Re: Technology of the technologies (WAS: A Lisper asks, "Am I supposed to like Smalltalk?")

timrowledge

On 18-May-06, at 12:26 PM, Bryce Kampjes wrote:

> I could do something interesting with Exupery for a mere 100K Euros or
> so. Anything less isn't enough to give up the day job for a year or
> so. More money would of course buy more features and a larger
> team. ;-)
Of course, if someone gave me E1m you would get the 100k to be part
of the team, like several others.

tim
Useful random insult:- Mind like a steel sieve.

Re: Technology of the technologies (WAS: A Lisper asks, "Am I supposed to like Smalltalk?")

timrowledge

> Hans-Martin Mosner writes:
>> Doable, but not really a good way to implement Smalltalk.
>> You'd lose the binary portability and in turn gain a lot of weight,
>> since bytecodes are so much more compact than machine language.
>> IIRC, Peter Deutsch stated that dynamic compilation of bytecodes to
>> machine language is actually faster than paging pre-compiled machine
>> code into memory.

This is one of those things that varies over time as the relative
performance of disk, main memory, cpu and cache (and its size of
course) develop. In the 84-90 timeframe when LPD was doing this work
discs were sloooooo     oooow  ww and
caches were tiny and main memory wasn't hugely slower than cache.
These days, caches are huge but still grossly inadequate to cope with
the bloated obscenities that are claimed to be 'modern operating
systems', cpus are massively faster than main memory and even more so
if actual random access of data is considered. Set against that, we
tend to have our little silicon servants doing many more things at
once and so if compiled code were being paged in whilst some other
useful work gets done it might seem like the total system is better.
How aggressively one compiles will affect the equation as well; PS &
HPS do fairly simplistic optimisation because the aim is to get a
usable answer *right now*. Exupery is being more painstaking AIUI.
On a machine with multiple cpus available (including a cluster of
machines of course) one could imagine having a somewhat Spoon-like
arrangement where a separate image running somewhere else does the
careful optimised compile and provides the result to clients, rather
than simply passing the method back. You'd need to make it work
asynchronously to some extent I guess rather than blocking. Hell,
extend Spoon a bit and have a compiler service for fee!

tim
My computer NEVER cras

Re: A Lisper asks, "Am I supposed to like Smalltalk?"

Bert Freudenberg-3
Well, this function actually defines all of LISP, so literally, this
is "one function to do everything". It's a kernel even smaller than
Smalltalk's (and preceding it by decades).

- Bert -

Am 18.05.2006 um 01:48 schrieb Ron Teitelbaum:

> Andreas,
>
> Ok now it's my turn to byte.  So while I'm sitting here looking up
> the Lisp
> 1.5 manual I'm thinking to myself I hope this joke is better then
> mine.
> When I got there this is what I found:
>
> evalquote is defined by using two main functions, called eval and
> apply.
> apply
> handles a function and its arguments, while eval handles forms.
> Each of
> these functions
> also has another argument that is used as an association list for
> storing
> the values
> of bound variables and f unction names.
> where
> apply [fn;x; a] =
> [atom[fn] - [ e q [ f n ; ~ ~ ~ ] - caar[x];
> e q [ f n ; ~ ~ ~ ] -- cdar[x];
> eq[fn; CONS] -- cons[car[x]; cadr[x]];
> e q [ f n ; ~ ~ ~ ~ ] -- atom[car[x]];
> eq[fn; EQ] - eq[car[x]; cadr[x]];
> T - apply[eval[fn;a];x;a]];
> eq[car[fn]; LAMBDA] -- eval[caddr [fn]; pairlis[cadr[fn];x;a]];
> eq[car [fn]; LABEL] - apply [caddr [fn]; x; cons [cons[cadr [fn];
> c addr [f n]]; a]]]
> eval[e;a] = [atom[e] - cdr[assoc[e;a]];
> atom[car[e]] -
> [eq[car QUOTE] - cadr [el;
> eq[car[e]; COND] - evcon[cdr [el; a];
> T -- apply[car [el; evlis[cdr [el; a]; a]];
> T - apply[car [el; evlis [cdr [el; a]; a]]
> pairlis and assoc have been previously defined.
> evcon[c; a] = [eval[caar [c]; a] -- eval[cadar [c]; a];
> T -- evcon[cdr [c];a]]
> and
> evlis[m;a] = [null[m] - NIL;
> T - cons [eval[car [m];a];evlis[cdr [m];a]]]
>
> So other then an offhanded joke about Elvis I have to admit I don't
> get it!
>
> :^D
>
> Ron

Ron Teitelbaum
Thanks Bert!

Ron

Sebastián Sastre
[...
> I could do something interesting with Exupery for a mere 100K
> Euros or so. Anything less isn't enough to give up the day
> job for a year or so. More money would of course buy more
> features and a larger team. ;-)
>
> Bryce

It gives to me arround 300 euros from 300 investors. I don't think is too
much money for an heatly organization (even non profit). If the volunteers
can hold the organization of the event (nothing that smalltalk can do for
them) the people will come. That will be a transparent way to get that
ammount of money that the organization could invest on is main object of
interest.

A big event with that finality could certainly do that. Get together key
people, key persons who can give some light on this regard, the consecuences
of the project and today's interesting subjects. Their reunion in a
positive/constructive environment will certainly atract interest. The model
could be 3 days (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) in some hotel with acceptable
structure in an attactive city (Tip: change in southamerica makes more easy
to find a good hotel by less $$ and there is a lot of cultural attractive
cities). The event could have laboratories, seminars, panels and other
expositions wich represent the investigations and foundings from people of
this comunity.

The key for the success of an  event like that will be the volunteers's hard
work.

Cheers,

Sebastian
PD: "If you build it, he will come..."
(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097351/)

Re: Technology of the technologies (WAS: A Lisper asks, "Am I supposed to like Smalltalk?")

SmallSqueak
"Sebastián Sastre" wrote:

> [...
> > I could do something interesting with Exupery for a mere 100K
> > Euros or so. Anything less isn't enough to give up the day
> > job for a year or so. More money would of course buy more
> > features and a larger team. ;-)
> >
> > Bryce
> >

> It gives to me arround 300 euros from 300 investors. I don't think is too
> much money for an heatly organization (even non profit). If the volunteers
> can hold the organization of the event (nothing that smalltalk can do for
> them) the people will come. That will be a transparent way to get that
> ammount of money that the organization could invest on is main object of
> interest.
>
> A big event with that finality could certainly do that. Get together key
> people, key persons who can give some light on this regard, the
consecuences
> of the project and today's interesting subjects. Their reunion in a
> positive/constructive environment will certainly atract interest. The
model
> could be 3 days (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) in some hotel with
acceptable
> structure in an attactive city (Tip: change in southamerica makes more
easy
> to find a good hotel by less $$ and there is a lot of cultural attractive
> cities). The event could have laboratories, seminars, panels and other
> expositions wich represent the investigations and foundings from people of
> this comunity.
>
> The key for the success of an  event like that will be the volunteers's
hard
> work.

    This is an excellent idea.

    The fine print is that all participants must pay all expenses.
    (Unless The Squeak Foundation decides to spend few million
    Euros for the event ;-)

    The good news is that, I think, the expenses is not more than $50.

    Some don't even have to pay this $50, because they already had it,
    the webcam.

    Cheers,

    PhiHo

On 18-May-06, at 1:08 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Well, this function actually defines all of LISP, so literally,
> this is "one function to do everything". It's a kernel even smaller
> than Smalltalk's (and preceding it by decades).

It's also a startling example of the wisdom of the old saying
"simplify as much as possible - and no further".

tim
Strange OpCodes: SDR: Shift Disk Right

Re: Technology of the technologies (WAS: A Lisper asks, "Am I supposed to like Smalltalk?")

Edgar J. De Cleene
Hans-Martin Mosner puso en su mail :

> It's the VisualWorks VM. I'm running it on a PPC Mac with Debian Linux,
> but MacOS is also supported :-)
> You can have it with the VisualWorks noncommercial download, however,
> the VM source code is not included (as a commercial customer you can
> have that, too).
>
> Cheers,
> Hans-Martin
Very thanks, Hans
I have it , but never know the fact

>>HPS compiles Smalltalk to bytecodes and then the VM converts those to
>>quite well optimised machine code at need; it was a JIT many years
>>before the javanauts made the term popular.

On this VM.

1GB gratis, Antivirus y Antispam
http://correo.yahoo.com.ar

Re: A Lisper asks, "Am I supposed to like Smalltalk?"

Mitchell L Model-2
Re: A Lisper asks, "Am I supposed to like Smalltalk?"
I've used Smalltalk extensively for 20 years, after 10 earlier years where I used it sporadically.  I was introduced to Smalltalk as a graduate student doing my research at Xerox PARC 1975-78.  My main language in those days was Interlisp, and I was the first user of Interlisp-D -- it's display version -- as Warren Teitelman developed it.

When I returned East I worked in both Interlisp-D and Symbolics Lisp Machine Lisp.  The paradigm of the former is like Smalltalk's: edit in the image then, for secondary purpoes, occasionally file out to text (or to a code repository such as ENVY).  (It is no accident that Interlisp-D was developed in the same time and place as Smalltalk.)  The paradigm of the latter was the usual edit an external textual representation and occasionally load the file into the image.  So, the distinction between the two approaches is not actually between Smalltalk and other languages (Lisp or Java or C++), but rather the working style encouraged (better supported) by the development environment.  You can work in either style in either kind of environment -- you can edit a fileout and file it back in in Smalltalk or Interlisp-D, and you can edit and redefine individual functions in Emacs and other file-based environments.  In fact, there is a GNU implementation of Smalltalk that is independent of any development environment.  (By the way, it has some very intriguing features for interacting with the external modern world -- I recommend that ou take a quick look at the Table of Contents of the GNU Smalltalk User's Guide to get an idea of what this is all about.)

I came to refer to this distinction as West Coast vs. East Coast style. I discovered a similar distinctions in Continental approaches to software development -- Algol/Pascal/Modula, Simula, Prolog, etc., and a rigorous mathematical style of software construction that rarely said anything at all about development environments. I have encountered fundamentally different Continental, East Coast, and West Coast styles  in many things I've been involved in, even recreational activities.  For instance, in the days of wood tennis racquets there were even three  grips called, yes, Continental, Eastern, and Western.  Bidding systems in Bridge exhibit a similar division.  And so on. There are, of course, many facets of this, and these are extremes in a space of possibilities in which specific approaches are located, but very loosely speaking I would categorize Continental as abstract, Eastern as technological, and Western as cognitive, terms which correspond to broad sociological stereotypes in many ways.

 These approaches affect a lot more than the development environment, but though that is where their differences are most obvious.  (The effects of the differences often extend to applications GUI developers tend to provide their users with interfaces that are a lot like those in their development environment, in part -- to be fair -- because it is easier to reuse the various frameworks and components used for the development environment than to build something from scratch or using an external GUI package.)  There are many profound differences in between, for instance, Interlisp-D's tools and those in Lisp Machine Lisp, most having to do with the theme of lots of windows with easily accessible menu actions vs. relatively few windows with elaborate menu structures.  (Typically a Lisp Machine user would have one Emacs window open in which to do all editing, one File Browser, etc.)  I remember hearing many jeers from Lisp Machine folks about all the stupid support facilities in Interlisp -- things like spelling correction and history list -- coming largely from the macho real-hackers-don't-use-tools attitude, revealed by comments such as "By the time the DWIM facility figures out an alternative, asks me to confirm it, and waits for my response, I could have just retyped the input myself.".

For the past 20+ years I have been teaching, mentoring, and providing technical support to students and developers in object technologies (among other activities). As someone who came to technical maturity in Interlisp-D and Smalltalk -- West Coast software development -- but ended up working with students and developers accustomed to more traditional East Coast approaches to software development it took me a very long time to get past an arrogant disbelief that people just didn't see the Light when introduced to the fabulous new world of West Coast tool-based software development, as embodied in Interlisp-D and Smalltalk.

I have also worked extensively in Pascal, C, C++, Objective-C, Java, Perl, Python, JavaScript (which actually is a very cool instance-based object-oriented language much like self),  and undoubtedly a few I'm forgetting at the moment.  I have used different implementations of Lisp and Smalltalk and their development environments.  I have worked on just about every kind of platform, except for embedded systems: card-punch batch mainframes, teletype and glass-tty timesharing systems, intelligent terminals on Unix systems, Lisp workstations, Unix workstations, Macs (which are currently the best Unix machines around, by the way), and even Windows (when I absolutely can't avoid it). I have worked with a wide variety of development environments, and I even still use Emacs extensively.  I have gleaned ideas, tricks, techniques, inspiration, etc. from all of these.  Much of my arrogance has been tempered by all this cross-cultural travel -- it has morphed into condescension ;-) .

I believe I have acquired a deep understanding of many social, psychological, and cognitive factors that cause people to resist change in general and to feel more comfortable with the more concrete nature of text files even though they work less efficiently and creatively than is possible in more "enlightened" environments.  Some people I work with still use vi instead of Emacs, which in some ways is a similar difference.  This all gets very, very complicated.  It is affected by institutional requirements (as some have pointed out in this thread), by shared technological cultures, by substantial variations in personality and cognitive stle, and (as has also been discussed in this thread) how we teach people about the wonderful New World to which we migrated (or for those less encrusted with age than I, perhaps even born in!).

I still grumble, rant, and rave when working outside of Lisp, Smalltalk, or Python (which is really Smalltalk with a different, and cognitively effective, syntax -- try it, you'll love it -- it's to Perl what Smalltalk is to C++).  I'm still frustrated with more mundane development environments.  I am still astounded at the obtuseness and resistance of all the techie types I work with. However, I long ago came to terms with the less enlightened, people, languages, and environments -- I pretty much just write Lisp or Smalltalk style code no matter what procedural language I'm working in ;-).

(I'm certainly not alone in my insistence on a Lisp/Smalltalk/Python style of development and coding.  Perhaps the most extreme example I've encountered was a project I consulted to at an enormous Boston-based financial institution.  It was developing a very cool workstation-based trading system in Smalltalk when the company decided to standardize on C++.  Told that they couldn't deliver a Smalltalk application, they just shrugged and a compiler wizard who happened to be working on the project wrote a C++ code generator that processed their Smalltalk code, while they continued to happily work in VisualWorks.)

I also spend a lot of time extending and customizing environments (especially Emacs) that don't provide the facilities I require.  (Emacs isn't too bad because it is so strongly Lisp oriented in both its implementation and its tools, and it is so entirely flexible given its Lisp extension language and rich array of programmable functionality.)  Of course given a choice I'd still rather work in Smalltalk, Lisp, or Python.  (There is an excellent development environment for Python that I am happy using.)  And I have hopes that rapidly multiplying and evolving Open Source development tools and environments for traditional languages (which I mean to include C++ and Java) will ultimately provide their users with something very much like the Smalltalk development environment.

Incidentally, the distinction between source code edited in the image and source code edited externally is a lot like that of the so-called "compiled" vs. "interpreted" language distinction.  Languages by themselves are neither compiled nor interpreted.  Instead, it is a question of environment -- are you working with a compiler that forces you to into a coarse-grained edit-compile-execute cycle or are you working with an interpreter that allows you not only to make fine-grained changes that take effect immediately -- even within executing code -- but also to enter and execute arbitrary bits of code.  (And what exactly are you doing inside an interactive debugger in a traditional sort of environment in which programs are externally executed then compiled and loaded?) Besides, the byte-code world that Smalltalk popularized has made that distinction moot.  Witness Java and Python or, more interestingly, Jython which is a Java engine implementation of Python that allows Java code to call Python code and vice versa.

So there.  I started this as a quick note to point out from my unusually long and cross-cultural perspective and especially from my extensive experience with multiple Lisp environments I can see that the issue of internal vs. external source code editing is not one of language but of development environment.  But this is all entangled in so many other related aspects of the difference between what we do in Smalltalk and what people do in traditional environments that I found I couldn't just leave it at that.  I hope you found this worth slogging through.  I particularly hope you find it useful in explaining our world to both Lispers and traditionalists.
--
        Mitchell L Model, Ph.D.        MLM Consulting
        [hidden email]                    42 Oxbow Road

        ~~ Mentoring, training, & tool building for
           object, knowledge, & web technologies
        ~~ Representation, processing, and display of
           complex information & knowledge, esp. scientific
        ~~ Interface design, usability evaluation, &
           productivity enhancement
        ~~ Commited to effective agile software development
        ~~ Specializing in bioinformatics, web technologies,
           knowledge representation/management, and ontologies
        ~~ Expert in object-oriented design, programming, &
           languages (Lisp, Smalltalk, Python, Java, C++, etc.)
        ~~ Experienced in distributed architectures
           (CORBA, Zope, J2EE, OODBs, socket-based, etc.)
        ~~ Collaboration methods and technologies (Wiki uses &
           customizations, eXtreme Programming, IDE's, etc.)

Re[2]: A Lisper asks, "Am I supposed to like Smalltalk?"

Herbert König
Hello Zulq,

ZA> Herbert König wrote:
>> Really try the TracingMessagesBrowser, it needs magma base additions
>> and magma exceptions (don't have an image handy for correct names),
>> all on SM.

this was a source of confusion. Sorry for that. To clear it up:
Ma base additions and Ma exception handling are not parts of Magma.

I's a single install not directly via SM but via a HTTP MC repository.
Or you manually download the three files and install TMB.

ZA> I second Duncan's suggestion for putting it in the default 3.9 image and
ZA> if you like I can try and help but bear in mind I am still learning.

And I'm not the one to offer help to. Chris Muller is the author!

Sorry for the confusion!

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Technology of the technologies (WAS: A Lisper asks, "Am I supposed to like Smalltalk?")

tblanchard
Of course, now that Macs are based on Intel as well - this should
make the whole thing lots easier - just support intel.

On 21-May-06, at 5:36 PM, Todd Blanchard wrote:

> Of course, now that Macs are based on Intel as well - this should
> make the whole thing lots easier - just support intel.

Sadly this is almost true and I wonder how much damage a monoculture
is going to cause in the long term.  I don't think there has ever
been a case where catastrophe didn't follow.

Sort of good news is that the remaining major architecture is ARM,
which utterly dominates non-desktop systems. Last year approximately
1.6*billion* ARMs were sold. I'm fairly sure that is a good bit more
than sales of x86 units. Now if only we could do a decent job of
using a load of ARMs instead of one or two x86. We'd save a lot of
power but we'd have to start doing a better job of using multiple
cpus effectively; but then we need to do that anyway.

tim
Useful random insult:- Looks for the "Any" key.

Re: Technology of the technologies (WAS: A Lisper asks, "Am I supposed to like Smalltalk?")

Alan Grimes-2
> Sort of good news is that the remaining major architecture is ARM,
> which utterly dominates non-desktop systems. Last year approximately
> 1.6*billion* ARMs were sold. I'm fairly sure that is a good bit more
> than sales of x86 units. Now if only we could do a decent job of  using
> a load of ARMs instead of one or two x86. We'd save a lot of  power but
> we'd have to start doing a better job of using multiple  cpus
> effectively; but then we need to do that anyway.

I want an ARM workstation.

I am being lead, inextricably, towards a vast conspiracy theory
regarding all RISC workstations... =(

--
Don't let your schoolwork get in the way of your learning.

### NEW E-MAIL: [hidden email] ###

Re: Technology of the technologies (WAS: A Lisper asks, "Am I supposed to like Smalltalk?")

Edgar J. De Cleene
tim Rowledge puso en su mail :

> Sadly this is almost true and I wonder how much damage a monoculture
> is going to cause in the long term.  I don't think there has ever
> been a case where catastrophe didn't follow.
>
> Sort of good news is that the remaining major architecture is ARM,
> which utterly dominates non-desktop systems. Last year approximately
> 1.6*billion* ARMs were sold. I'm fairly sure that is a good bit more
> than sales of x86 units. Now if only we could do a decent job of
> using a load of ARMs instead of one or two x86. We'd save a lot of
> power but we'd have to start doing a better job of using multiple
> cpus effectively; but then we need to do that anyway.
I feel the same without your knowledge.
What think about X360 chip ? Could Microsoft go to some different what X86
in a future ?

Edgar

Horóscopos, Salud y belleza, Chistes, Consejos de amor:
el contenido más divertido para tu celular está en Yahoo! Móvil.
Obtenelo en http://movil.yahoo.com.ar

Re: Technology of the technologies

Klaus D. Witzel
On Mon, 22 May 2006 11:39:06 +0200, Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> What think about X360 chip ? Could Microsoft go to some different what
> X86 in a future ?
>
> Edgar

What is a x360 chip? I learned and used IBM/360 assembler in the early 70'
of the previous century, does x360 have anything to do with IBM's /360
series ? <grin> ;-)

/Klaus

Re: Technology of the technologies

Edgar J. De Cleene
Klaus D. Witzel puso en su mail :

> What is a x360 chip? I learned and used IBM/360 assembler in the early 70'
> of the previous century, does x360 have anything to do with IBM's /360
> series ? <grin> ;-)
>
> /Klaus
I mean the chip what IBM build for Microsoft Xbox 360 Game Console and what
have 3 cores and could be a "super PowerPC" of super power.

Life is odd if Apple go Intel and Microsoft to IBM chips, don't you think ?

Maybe in a while Microsoft build computers with a decent OS on this chip (or
some derivative)

I support Big Endian and refuse break eggs ohterwise !! :=)

Edgar

Esa persona especial te espera en Yahoo! Encuentros.
¡Dejate encontrar!
http://ar.encuentros.yahoo.com/

Re: Technology of the technologies (WAS: A Lisper asks, "Am I supposed to like Smalltalk?")

Stephan Rudlof
On 18.05.2006 21:42, tim Rowledge wrote:
> On 18-May-06, at 12:26 PM, Bryce Kampjes wrote:
>> I could do something interesting with Exupery for a mere 100K Euros or
>> so. Anything less isn't enough to give up the day job for a year or
>> so. More money would of course buy more features and a larger
>> team. ;-)

> Of course, if someone gave me E1m you would get the 100k to be part
> of the team, like several others.

It would be a honour to work in such a team!
But there is not just the technical task to get it work: it also would
have to be made mature... (to get more millions ;-) , not just a joke!)

Regards,
Stephan

> tim
> Useful random insult:- Mind like a steel sieve.

--
Stephan Rudlof ([hidden email])

1234