A Monticello browser wish...

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi All,

  a useful addition to our modern lifestyle would be an efficient background visit to each repository in the full list of repositories (obtained in the Monticello browser when no package is selected), to check if any package in that repository has a package newer than those in the current image, and then to highlight the repository description in bold (that's the house style).  One could then check the list occasionally to see if repositories other than trunk had updates.  One would need a preference to limit how often the repositories were polled (once an hour might be a good default), and it should happen below user processing priority, and the background process easily discardable when the set of repositories changes, etc.

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: A Monticello browser wish...

marcel.taeumel
Hi Eliot,

such a mechanism would also allow us to efficiently check for updates in the background and inform the user when it is time to update the image. :-)

We need a new interface to source.squeak.org for that. Some simple call. A server-side check. Or maby some service in between that periodically downloads all file names and calculates possible updates from that. Then no changes to SqueakSource would be needed. But we would need an extra server. Maybe there is capacity on rackspace left? :-)

Just some thoughts.

Best,
Marcel

Am 11.03.2020 00:16:21 schrieb Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Nicolas Cellier
Hi all,
maybe a web query of the kind find -newer some_date would restrict the flow of useless data.

Le mer. 11 mars 2020 à 07:43, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> a écrit :
[...]

Tobias Pape
On Wed, 2020-03-11 at 08:19 +0100, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
> Hi all,
> maybe a web query of the kind find -newer some_date would restrict
> the flow
> of useless data.

I think one implementation of SqueakSource had that, but I'm unsure…
-t