A fork in the road()

Ben Coman

Sharing an interesting paper I bumped into..
> A fork() in the road

in particular Figure 1 - fork versus spawn performance
And something I didn't realise...
> a process using, DPDK with a kernel-bypass NIC [12], or OpenCL with a GPU,
> cannot safely fork since the OS cannot duplicate the process state on the NIC/GPU.
> This appears to have been a continuing source of bafflement
> among GPU programmers for a decade at least

cheers -ben

Re: A fork in the road()

timrowledge

> On 2019-11-29, at 5:28 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Sharing an interesting paper I bumped into..
> > A fork() in the road
> > https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/uploads/prod/2019/04/fork-hotos19.pdf

That's pretty interesting stuff. I never did understand the attraction of cloning an entire running process only to dump nearly all of it immediately. On the other hand, doing pretty much that (except we don't dump stuff) with an image seems to work really well...

tim
Fractured Idiom:- PORTE-KOCHERE - Sacramental wine

Re: A fork in the road()

Nicolas Cellier

Ah, I have unstacked mails down to this one.
Good reading, thanks Tim.
Personnally, I like:

Another pattern uses fork to capture a consistent snapshot of a running process’s address space, allowing the parent to continue execution; this includes persistence support in Redis [68],

just because that's what I proposed a few years ago for our VM ;)
And it probably was a good idea to reject this proposal, since fork is not a panacea as demonstrated in the article.
The fact that an idea is shared does not make it good, I may say not completely stupid for own re-assurance ;)

Le sam. 14 déc. 2019 à 00:34, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> On 2019-11-29, at 5:28 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Sharing an interesting paper I bumped into..
> > A fork() in the road
> > https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/uploads/prod/2019/04/fork-hotos19.pdf

That's pretty interesting stuff. I never did understand the attraction of cloning an entire running process only to dump nearly all of it immediately. On the other hand, doing pretty much that (except we don't dump stuff) with an image seems to work really well...

tim
Fractured Idiom:- PORTE-KOCHERE - Sacramental wine

Re: A fork in the road()

David T. Lewis

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 09:47:49PM +0100, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> Ah, I have unstacked mails down to this one.
> Good reading, thanks Tim.

I think the paper is complete nonsense. It's like people who think
that "everything is an object" wasn't such a great idea because it
mades it too hard to implement integer arithmetic.

Fun to read though.

> Personnally, I like:
>
> Another pattern uses fork to capture a consistent snapshot of a running
> process???s address space, allowing the parent to continue execution; this
> includes persistence support in Redis [68],

And of course that's exactly what OSProcess #forkSqueak does also, so
maybe I am biased. I suppose I'll reconsider my biased view whenever
somebody figures out how to do anythhing similar to #forkSqueak with
Windows and/or the spawn() approach advocated by the authors. I'm not
holding my breath  ;-)

Dave