A little 4.1 press coverage

12

Re: A little 4.1 press coverage

Ross Boylan
On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 17:40 -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:
> I'm missing something here. If we have already what we're looking
> for,
> then what is this discussion about? I read it as people saying that
> we
> don't have a "one-click-solution" (whatever that's considered to be)
> and
> need one. Which is fine by me, just make one and we'll put it up.
Having tried the Windows and Linux downloads, I'd call the former
one-click and the latter not even close.  Some of the confusion may be
from different experiences on different platforms.
Ross

Re: A little 4.1 press coverage

Bert Freudenberg
On 29.04.2010, at 00:05, Ian Trudel wrote:

>>> That caught my eye. How do people actually develop with "one-click
>>> images"? I mean, I came up with that concept in the first place, but it was
>>> meant for deploying applications, not for development. You can't even save
>>> the image under a different name. So while I see the appeal to people giving
>>> it a casual look, do you really think that should be the default download?
>>> - Bert -
>
> Bert, saving an image under a different name in the installed
> directory will result into opening a dialog box to select an image.

Nope. Saving under a different name creates a copy. Next time you run, it will use the former image, the name of which is known to the VM. It's listed in Info.plist for Mac, squeak.ini for Windows, and squeak.sh for Linux/*nix.

> There is something to be clear about the whole thing, having to
> download a VM, an image and source files separately is newcomers
> unfriendly.

Agreed. Let's build it. But Amazon marketing be damned, please don't call it "1-click". Makes me cringe every time.

Actually ... I just made one. Only tested on Mac and Linux-i686, but chances are it works on Windows, too:

http://ftp.squeak.org/Experiments/Squeak-4.1-All-in-One.zip

- Bert -

Re: A little 4.1 press coverage

LawsonEnglish
Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>> Bert, saving an image under a different name in the installed
>> directory will result into opening a dialog box to select an image.
>>

> Nope. Saving under a different name creates a copy. Next time you run, it will use the former image, the name of which is known to the VM. It's listed in Info.plist for Mac, squeak.ini for Windows, and squeak.sh for Linux/*nix.
>

>> There is something to be clear about the whole thing, having to
>> download a VM, an image and source files separately is newcomers
>> unfriendly.
>>

> Agreed. Let's build it. But Amazon marketing be damned, please don't call it "1-click". Makes me cringe every time.
>
> Actually ... I just made one. Only tested on Mac and Linux-i686, but chances are it works on Windows, too:
>
> http://ftp.squeak.org/Experiments/Squeak-4.1-All-in-One.zip
>
> - Bert -

This works with Mac OS X and the Pharo 1-click to provide a selection of
images kept in the .app directory.

tell application "Finder"
    set myAlias to folder "Resources" of folder "Contents" of
application file "Pharo-1.0.app" of folder "Desktop" of folder
"lawsonenglish" of folder "Users" of startup disk
    open (choose file of type "image" default location myAlias as alias)
end tell

Re: A little 4.1 press coverage

Michael Davies-2
On 29 April 2010 02:40, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm missing something here. If we have already what we're looking for, then what is this discussion about? I read it as people saying that we don't have a "one-click-solution" (whatever that's considered to be) and need one. Which is fine by me, just make one and we'll put it up.

I was thinking of the value of "All-in-One" (to adopt Bert's term) files is that they allow you to get something into people's hands very quickly without a page of instructions to follow. Because I know there's some limitations (eg saving new versions), I'm not sure that the base "All-in-One" build should be of interest to anyone except for Squeak developers who want to use it to create their own All-in-One file to demonstrate their code. Perhaps if those problems were overcome, the "All-in-One" could be the default download that new users get directed to?

12