A morph for doing 2D plots

Mateusz Grotek
I have created a morph for doing 2D plots.
It is still in the pre-alpha stage, but might be useful for someone.
It is my first public smalltalk project. :-)
No tests and no documentation yet.
If anyone has any useful advice, please share it with me.
Thank you!

Re: A morph for doing 2D plots

Mateusz Grotek
Mateusz Grotek pisze:
> I have created a morph for doing 2D plots.
> It is still in the pre-alpha stage, but might be useful for someone.
> It is my first public smalltalk project. :-)
> No tests and no documentation yet.
> If anyone has any useful advice, please share it with me.
> Thank you!

Oops, here is the link:
http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/MGPlotting.html

Re: A morph for doing 2D plots

David T. Lewis
On Fri, Dec 06, 2013 at 11:16:09PM +0100, Mateusz Grotek wrote:
> Mateusz Grotek pisze:
> > I have created a morph for doing 2D plots.
> > It is still in the pre-alpha stage, but might be useful for someone.
> > It is my first public smalltalk project. :-)

Excellent! Good to see new projects like this.

> > No tests and no documentation yet.
> > If anyone has any useful advice, please share it with me.
> > Thank you!

Don't forget to add class comments as you go. It's a lot easier than
trying to write them later on. Just write quick a line or two of comment
when you first create the class, more or less as a note to yourself
explaining what you are going to do. That automatically captures your
original design intent. I think a lot of people get writers block when
they want to document an existing class, so if you just write it down
in 20 words or less before you get started, the problem is solved. You
can always go back and document some of the details later on if you
want to :-)

Dave

Mateusz Grotek pisze:

> Mateusz Grotek pisze:
>> I have created a morph for doing 2D plots.
>> It is still in the pre-alpha stage, but might be useful for someone.
>> It is my first public smalltalk project. :-)
>> No tests and no documentation yet.
>> If anyone has any useful advice, please share it with me.
>> Thank you!
>
> Oops, here is the link:
> http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/MGPlotting.html

Re: [SPAM] Re: [Newbies] A morph for doing 2D plots

Mateusz Grotek

On Sat, Dec 07, 2013 at 03:42:59PM +0100, Mateusz Grotek wrote:

> Mateusz Grotek pisze:
> > Mateusz Grotek pisze:
> >> I have created a morph for doing 2D plots.
> >> It is still in the pre-alpha stage, but might be useful for someone.
> >> It is my first public smalltalk project. :-)
> >> No tests and no documentation yet.
> >> If anyone has any useful advice, please share it with me.
> >> Thank you!
> >
> > Oops, here is the link:
> > http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/MGPlotting.html
> >

> Documentation is now included (class and method comments).

Very nice! Thanks.

Dave

Re: A morph for doing 2D plots

Herbert König
Hi Mateusz,

it will be helpful for a user if you had some class side methods to
create some examples.

I wanted to try your code and didn't know where to start.  I rolled my
own in 2007 (for plotting frequency responses), didn't use it since then
and when the need arose this May I could use it by just starting from
those examples. I assume you had something different in mind and for
your plotting purposes your class and method names are perfectly natural :-)

This is no criticism, its just to show you how a person interested in
your code may be completely confused because his view is clouded by his
own preconceptions which are different from yours.

Cheers

Herbert

Am 06.12.2013 23:14, schrieb Mateusz Grotek:

> I have created a morph for doing 2D plots.
> It is still in the pre-alpha stage, but might be useful for someone.
> It is my first public smalltalk project. :-)
> No tests and no documentation yet.
> If anyone has any useful advice, please share it with me.
> Thank you!

Re: A morph for doing 2D plots

Herbert König
aahh, now I saw the code in the class comment.

I copied it into a workspace like this:

|mgRelation|
mgRelation := MGRelationOnLeftToRightBlock new.
     mgRelation block: [:x|x squared].
     mgPlotMorph addRelation: mgRelation.

and it raises a debugger.

First it should be possible to run it from the browser. My example
methods usually have "self example1" in the method comment.
Secondly the example should work after just loading the code :-))

At least now I understand that you had a function plotter in mind. Now
MGRelation starts to make some sense.

Ok, reading the whole comment I did:

|mgRelation mgPlotMorph|
mgPlotMorph := MGPlotMorph new.
     mgPlotMorph openInWorld.
mgRelation := MGRelationOnLeftToRightBlock new.
     mgRelation block: [:x|x squared].
     mgPlotMorph addRelation: mgRelation.

See how stupid your users are :-))

Cheers

Herbert

Am 07.12.2013 19:59, schrieb Herbert König:

> Hi Mateusz,
>
> it will be helpful for a user if you had some class side methods to
> create some examples.
>
> I wanted to try your code and didn't know where to start.  I rolled my
> own in 2007 (for plotting frequency responses), didn't use it since
> then and when the need arose this May I could use it by just starting
> from those examples. I assume you had something different in mind and
> for your plotting purposes your class and method names are perfectly
> natural :-)
>
> This is no criticism, its just to show you how a person interested in
> your code may be completely confused because his view is clouded by
> his own preconceptions which are different from yours.
>

> Cheers
>
> Herbert
>
> Am 06.12.2013 23:14, schrieb Mateusz Grotek:
>> I have created a morph for doing 2D plots.
>> It is still in the pre-alpha stage, but might be useful for someone.
>> It is my first public smalltalk project. :-)
>> No tests and no documentation yet.
>> If anyone has any useful advice, please share it with me.
>> Thank you!

Re: A morph for doing 2D plots

Herbert König
Hi Mateusz,

you also might want to enter ScaleMorph example4 into a workspace,
resize it with the yellow halo button for smooth resizing. Also that
author made the numbers submorphs while the tickmarks where no objects
of their own.

Don't know his reasons but I copied this and the lines on my plots were
Morphs so I could drag them as part of the UI.

Cheers

Herbert

Am 07.12.2013 20:15, schrieb Herbert König:

> aahh, now I saw the code in the class comment.
>
> I copied it into a workspace like this:
>
> |mgRelation|
> mgRelation := MGRelationOnLeftToRightBlock new.
>     mgRelation block: [:x|x squared].
>     mgPlotMorph addRelation: mgRelation.
>
> and it raises a debugger.
>
> First it should be possible to run it from the browser. My example
> methods usually have "self example1" in the method comment.
> Secondly the example should work after just loading the code :-))
>
> At least now I understand that you had a function plotter in mind. Now
> MGRelation starts to make some sense.
>
> Ok, reading the whole comment I did:
>
> |mgRelation mgPlotMorph|
> mgPlotMorph := MGPlotMorph new.
>     mgPlotMorph openInWorld.
> mgRelation := MGRelationOnLeftToRightBlock new.
>     mgRelation block: [:x|x squared].
>     mgPlotMorph addRelation: mgRelation.
>
> See how stupid your users are :-))
>

> Cheers
>
> Herbert
>
> Am 07.12.2013 19:59, schrieb Herbert König:
>> Hi Mateusz,
>>
>> it will be helpful for a user if you had some class side methods to
>> create some examples.
>>
>> I wanted to try your code and didn't know where to start.  I rolled
>> my own in 2007 (for plotting frequency responses), didn't use it
>> since then and when the need arose this May I could use it by just
>> starting from those examples. I assume you had something different in
>> mind and for your plotting purposes your class and method names are
>> perfectly natural :-)
>>
>> This is no criticism, its just to show you how a person interested in
>> your code may be completely confused because his view is clouded by
>> his own preconceptions which are different from yours.
>>

>> Cheers
>>
>> Herbert
>>
>> Am 06.12.2013 23:14, schrieb Mateusz Grotek:
>>> I have created a morph for doing 2D plots.
>>> It is still in the pre-alpha stage, but might be useful for someone.
>>> It is my first public smalltalk project. :-)
>>> No tests and no documentation yet.
>>> If anyone has any useful advice, please share it with me.
>>> Thank you!

Re: A morph for doing 2D plots

Mateusz Grotek
Herbert König pisze:

> Hi Mateusz,
>
> you also might want to enter ScaleMorph example4 into a workspace,
> resize it with the yellow halo button for smooth resizing. Also that
> author made the numbers submorphs while the tickmarks where no objects
> of their own.
>
> Don't know his reasons but I copied this and the lines on my plots were
> Morphs so I could drag them as part of the UI.
>
> Cheers
>
> Herbert
>
> Am 07.12.2013 20:15, schrieb Herbert König:
>> aahh, now I saw the code in the class comment.
>>
>> I copied it into a workspace like this:
>>
>> |mgRelation|
>> mgRelation := MGRelationOnLeftToRightBlock new.
>>     mgRelation block: [:x|x squared].
>>     mgPlotMorph addRelation: mgRelation.
>>
>> and it raises a debugger.
>>
>> First it should be possible to run it from the browser. My example
>> methods usually have "self example1" in the method comment.
>> Secondly the example should work after just loading the code :-))
>>
>> At least now I understand that you had a function plotter in mind. Now
>> MGRelation starts to make some sense.
>>
>> Ok, reading the whole comment I did:
>>
>> |mgRelation mgPlotMorph|
>> mgPlotMorph := MGPlotMorph new.
>>     mgPlotMorph openInWorld.
>> mgRelation := MGRelationOnLeftToRightBlock new.
>>     mgRelation block: [:x|x squared].
>>     mgPlotMorph addRelation: mgRelation.
>>
>> See how stupid your users are :-))
>>

>> Cheers
>>
>> Herbert
>>
>> Am 07.12.2013 19:59, schrieb Herbert König:
>>> Hi Mateusz,
>>>
>>> it will be helpful for a user if you had some class side methods to
>>> create some examples.
>>>
>>> I wanted to try your code and didn't know where to start.  I rolled
>>> my own in 2007 (for plotting frequency responses), didn't use it
>>> since then and when the need arose this May I could use it by just
>>> starting from those examples. I assume you had something different in
>>> mind and for your plotting purposes your class and method names are
>>> perfectly natural :-)
>>>
>>> This is no criticism, its just to show you how a person interested in
>>> your code may be completely confused because his view is clouded by
>>> his own preconceptions which are different from yours.
>>>

>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Herbert

Thank you for all your advice.