A new Squeak release

12

Re: A new Squeak release

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Stéphane,

On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 6:17 AM, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can't even get that far. How did you get from the link mentioned before to the file you think might be the correct one?

On 3/4/18 6:03 AM, Stéphane Rollandin wrote:
Le 04/03/2018 à 11:44, H. Hirzel a écrit :
http://squeak.org/downloads/

should lead you to the correct place.

Under the heading 'Virtual machines' there is a link

https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/_latestVersion#files

Ok, then I assume the current one for a 4.6 image is cog_win32x86_squeak.cog.v3_201608171728

I used the first link...

now from the second I just found squeak.cog.v3_win32x86_201803032041 which is more recent, but still with the same outcome: 3D primitives are missing.>

and if you put "B3DXUsesOpenGL=0" in Squeak.ini what happens then?  AFAICT all the 3D support is included in the VM as it ever was.  I'm sorry, but I'm not very familiar with the 3D support on Windows.  I do know that Ronie got the OpenGL example working on Mac OS in 32 and 64 bits late last year.  And I think we tested all platforms and found it worked.  What that implies for the B3DAcceleratorPlugin on win32 I don't know.

> Stef

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: A new Squeak release

Bert Freudenberg
On 4 March 2018 at 19:16, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Stéphane,

On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 6:17 AM, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can't even get that far. How did you get from the link mentioned before to the file you think might be the correct one?

On 3/4/18 6:03 AM, Stéphane Rollandin wrote:
Le 04/03/2018 à 11:44, H. Hirzel a écrit :
http://squeak.org/downloads/

should lead you to the correct place.

Under the heading 'Virtual machines' there is a link

https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/_latestVersion#files

Ok, then I assume the current one for a 4.6 image is cog_win32x86_squeak.cog.v3_201608171728

I used the first link...

now from the second I just found squeak.cog.v3_win32x86_201803032041 which is more recent, but still with the same outcome: 3D primitives are missing.>

and if you put "B3DXUsesOpenGL=0" in Squeak.ini what happens then?  AFAICT all the 3D support is included in the VM as it ever was.  I'm sorry, but I'm not very familiar with the 3D support on Windows.  I do know that Ronie got the OpenGL example working on Mac OS in 32 and 64 bits late last year.  And I think we tested all platforms and found it worked.  What that implies for the B3DAcceleratorPlugin on win32 I don't know.

> Stef

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

​Is the ​Squeak3D plugin included as well? I think that's the one Stef wants, in addition to B3DAcceleratorPlugin.

​- Bert -​

Re: A new Squeak release

garduino
Edgar J. De Cleene-3 wrote
> On 01/03/2018, 23:17, "David T. Lewis" &lt;

> lewis@.msen

> &gt; wrote:
>

> I'm could be that person.
>
> Edgar
> @morplenauta

Go Edgar Go !

The Release process (was: Re: A new Squeak release)

Levente Uzonyi
Hi All,

I was looking for the written summary of what the current Release process
looks like, but I couldn't find any.
So, I was wondering what the current Release process looks like, and what
the role of the Release manager is.
I have a vague idea about these, but it would be nice to have a checklist
at least.

Levente

On Thu, 1 Mar 2018, David T. Lewis wrote:

> [...]
> on a 32 bit platform.
>
> Dave
>
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2018 at 09:57:52AM -0800, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>>     we're moving close to a new Squeak release.  There are some issues to
>> discuss before we decide  exactly what and when to release.  I have two
>> issues that I would like people's opinions on.
>>
>> 1. the VM can be compiled with support for read-only objects, and indeed
>> Pharo is already doing this.  Were we to enable read-only object support we
>> could introduce read-only bindings.  I have this code ready to go, but the
>> current Squeak VM does not include read-only object support.  We could go
>> ahead and release without read-only object support or enable read-only
>> object support in the VM, push the new VMs out and enable read-only
>> literals.  It would then take a few days for everyone to test their code
>> and fix issues with read-only literals.  For example, code such as
>>
>> a := { 'one ' . 'two ' . 'three ' }.
>> a do: [:e | e at: e size put: (Character value: 0)].
>>
>> must be rewritten, e.g. as
>>
>> a := #('one ' 'two ' 'three ' ) collect: [:ea| ea copyReplaceAll: Character
>> space asString with: Character null asString].
>>
>> and the classic
>>
>> '' writeStream
>>
>> as
>>
>> '' copy writeStream
>>
>> i.e. literals are read-only but copies of literals are not.
>>
>> 2. the current VM, Monticello and the ClassBuilder has full support for
>> ephemerons, which provide instance based finalization. For example, if a
>> file that is the key of some ephemeron in a registration dictionary, then,
>> with a suitable finalization process, the VM will arrange that the
>> ephemeron gets sent finalize when the file is only referenced from
>> ephemeris, and then the ephemeron can finalize the file itself, flushing
>> any buffered characters and closing the file's descriptor. What we have now
>> is a copy of the file in a weak registry, which means we finalize the copy
>> not the actual file. This limits our ability to write clean file
>> implementations. The same applies to several other uses of weak registries.
>> Again Pharo is using the facility (and hence we can use their finalization
>> process and some of their code).
>>
>> So the question is should we hold up the release for these features or
>> should we go ahead and somehow arrange that we do address these (and
>> other?) issues promptly in a subsequent release?
>>
>> Let me make a proposal. We go ahead and make a release with what we have,
>> calling it Squeak 5.5, and then follow a plan to provide read-only object
>> support, read-only literals, and as mush of the finalizationsystem
>> rewritten to use ephemeron (where appropriate) as we can manage by, say,
>> September 1. This will be Squeak 6. And the trunk process would update to
>> requiring a rad-only-object enabled VM immediately after the 5.5 release.

Re: The Release process (was: Re: A new Squeak release)

marcel.taeumel
Hi, there.

the release manager has to update the release notes [1], our Website [2], and our CI infrastructure [3][4].

The release-specific in-image code can be found here:
ReleaseBuilder class >> #setPreferences
ReleaseBuilder class >> #configureDesktop
ReleaseBuilder class >> #configureTools
ReleaseBuilder class >> #releaseRepositoryName (! read only !)

You can tell the community about the different steps in the release process by running step1*-step3* messages in ReleaseBuilder (see category "manual -steps"). This basically changes the system version, which you have to communicate in a changed "ReleaseBuilder class >> #initialize" method to be committed to the Trunk repository.

Finally, after you updated the CI to produce release images automatically, reset the Trunk version again via "ReleaseBuilder class >> #step0AssureAlpha". Make up some new version like "6.5" or "7.0" ... which will be the current Alpha Trunk version from that point on. Or return to "6.0" if this release would be "5.2".

Most of the other stuff you find in the ReleaseBuilder is for local try-outs only. You can also take a look at the full Smalltalk CI script [5].

Best regards,
Marcel

Am 06.03.2018 16:25:25 schrieb Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:

> [...]

>> Again Pharo is using the facility (and hence we can use their finalization
>> process and some of their code).
>>
>> So the question is should we hold up the release for these features or
>> should we go ahead and somehow arrange that we do address these (and
>> other?) issues promptly in a subsequent release?
>>
>> Let me make a proposal. We go ahead and make a release with what we have,
>> calling it Squeak 5.5, and then follow a plan to provide read-only object
>> support, read-only literals, and as mush of the finalizationsystem
>> rewritten to use ephemeron (where appropriate) as we can manage by, say,
>> September 1. This will be Squeak 6. And the trunk process would update to
>> requiring a rad-only-object enabled VM immediately after the 5.5 release.
>>
>> _,,,^..^,,,_
>> best, Eliot

Re: The Release process (was: Re: A new Squeak release)

Edgar De Cleene
Re: [squeak-dev] The Release process (was: Re: A new Squeak release) Resuming mail exchange with Marcel and my view about a release.

Beside administrative task, the person in charge should do.

Run the test for the Squeak X.y .image on and inform this to list.
Use the image and try to do elemental task a average user do.
Report any Debugger Window showing and put relevant info in Mantis.
Try to found methods which could be the problem and inform to person if posible.

Board must set a date for things was done.
In ten minutes I found three odd debugger windows running the test

Copy paste here some I send to Marcel

>This was the third, in the middle another escape me for picture
>But at this early point we have

>4465 run, 4384 passes, 34 expected failures, 34 failures, 13 errors, 0 unexpected passes
I>’m afraid this could not go out

We all wish a good release or not ?
Edgar
@morplenauta

On 06/03/2018, 12:29, "Marcel Taeumel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

[1] https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak-app/tree/squeak-trunk/release-notes
[2
] https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak.org
[3] https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak-app/blob/squeak-trunk/.travis.yml
[4
] http://files.squeak.org/base/
[5] https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak-app/blob/squeak-trunk/prepare_image.st

> [...]

>> implementations. The same applies to several other uses of weak registries.
>> Again Pharo is using the facility (and hence we can use their finalization
>> process and some of their code).
>>
>> So the question is should we hold up the release for these features or
>> should we go ahead and somehow arrange that we do address these (and
>> other?) issues promptly in a subsequent release?
>>
>> Let me make a proposal. We go ahead and make a release with what we have,
>> calling it Squeak 5.5, and then follow a plan to provide read-only object
>> support, read-only literals, and as mush of the finalizationsystem
>> rewritten to use ephemeron (where appropriate) as we can manage by, say,
>> September 1. This will be Squeak 6. And the trunk process would update to
>> requiring a rad-only-object enabled VM immediately after the 5.5 release.

Re: A new Squeak release

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Fabio,

   forgive me for not replying sooner.  The felt more than a little foolish.  Perhaps we could catch up on skype or google chat to discuss getting the release done.  Clément has done a major merge of his recent work and we have to iron out those issues plus I want to enable read-only object support in the Squeak VMs.  Hopefully there are only a few days work necessary.

_,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)

On Mar 2, 2018, at 4:13 AM, Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 11:30 AM K K Subbu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there a plan to spin out Squeak (the ST VM) from Squeak (the image)
in this (or subsequent) release cycle? or will the two releases go
hand-in-hand forever?

I always thought it was clear that with OpenSmalltalk release, I meant the VMs and not a new Squeak release. But it looks like people thought I was talking about a new Squeak release, thus Eliot's email I guess. Sorry for the confusion, my bad!
I do agree that there should be a new Squeak release rather sooner than later, but I am still interested in having a new checkpoint for the VMs soon. This helps us to find out how stable current Squeak VMs are and it's also useful for things like CI.

Now that the same VM is used by multiple (image) projects like Scratch,
Etoys, Pharo, Cuis and with binary variants like 32bit/64bit, cog/spur
etc. putting the VM on a separate cycle may be easier than linking it
with Squeak project releases. The VM may continue ship with a built-in
image for bootstrapping other images or for VMMaker but that need not be
linked with the latest Squeak release.

Those are some reasons why I think it would make sense to decouple the release processes for both the vm and the image. Why couple a new vm release to a Squeak or Pharo release if we could independently make new vm releases and then dialects can use the version they want or need. Maybe, this way we can fix VMs bugs without having to prepare a new image release: treat image and vm versions independently and only say "Squeak-5.x" needs "OpenSmalltalkVM Y or later" (assuming Squeak releases happen before breaking vm changes, such as Spur support).

Best,
Fabio

Regards .. Subbu

On Thursday 01 March 2018 11:27 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>      we're moving close to a new Squeak release.  There are some issues
> to discuss before we decide  exactly what and when to release.  I have
> two issues that I would like people's opinions on.
>
> 1. the VM can be compiled with support for read-only objects, and indeed
> Pharo is already doing this.  Were we to enable read-only object support
> we could introduce read-only bindings.  I have this code ready to go,
> but the current Squeak VM does not include read-only object support.  We
> could go ahead and release without read-only object support or enable
> read-only object support in the VM, push the new VMs out and enable
> read-only literals.  It would then take a few days for everyone to test
> their code and fix issues with read-only literals.  For example, code
> such as
>
> a := { 'one ' . 'two ' . 'three ' }.
> a do: [:e | e at: e size put: (Character value: 0)].
>
> must be rewritten, e.g. as
>
> a := #('one ' 'two ' 'three ' ) collect: [:ea| ea copyReplaceAll:
> Character space asString with: Character null asString].
>
> and the classic
>
> '' writeStream
>
> as
>
> '' copy writeStream
>
> i.e. literals are read-only but copies of literals are not.
>
> 2. the current VM, Monticello and the ClassBuilder has full support for
> ephemerons, which provide instance based finalization. For example, if a
> file that is the key of some ephemeron in a registration dictionary,
> then, with a suitable finalization process, the VM will arrange that the
> ephemeron gets sent finalize when the file is only referenced from
> ephemeris, and then the ephemeron can finalize the file itself, flushing
> any buffered characters and closing the file's descriptor. What we have
> now is a copy of the file in a weak registry, which means we finalize
> the copy not the actual file. This limits our ability to write clean
> file implementations. The same applies to several other uses of weak
> registries. Again Pharo is using the facility (and hence we can use
> their finalization process and some of their code).
>
> So the question is should we hold up the release for these features or
> should we go ahead and somehow arrange that we do address these (and
> other?) issues promptly in a subsequent release?
>
> Let me make a proposal. We go ahead and make a release with what we
> have, calling it Squeak 5.5, and then follow a plan to provide read-only
> object support, read-only literals, and as mush of the
> finalizationsystem rewritten to use ephemeron (where appropriate) as we
> can manage by, say, September 1. This will be Squeak 6. And the trunk
> process would update to requiring a rad-only-object enabled VM
> immediately after the 5.5 release.
>
> _,,,^..^,,,_
> best, Eliot

Re: A new Squeak release

Stéphane Rollandin
About the next Squeak release:

May I push yet another call to include the 3D plugin in current VMs?

 From where I am it does not seem that Eliot's call for checking what
happened to 3D support has been answered.

Re: A new Squeak release

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Edgar J. De Cleene-3 wrote
> The las FunSqueak was here
> http://squeakros.org/FunSqueak4.6/ScreenSnapz.jpg
> http://squeakros.org/FunSqueak4.6/FunSqueak4dot.6.zip

Is this still the most recent FunSqueak? If so, what VM does it work with? I
flopped around between the available VMs from the Downloads page
(cog/spur/stack/v3/etc), but couldn't find the magic combination! Thanks :)

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: A new Squeak release

Edgar De Cleene
Is 4.6 so any Cog (no Cog Spur) should work well
If you just don't'sure, download the official 4.6 All in one ,
Once you unzip , navigate inside folders (in Mac as me should right click
and show Package Contents)
Inside you found the folders with the appropiate VMs.
Select yours, do a copy and paste where appropiate for your OS.
Application folders for Mac, where also a copy of appropiate .sources should
(4.6 in FunSqueaqk)/
Locate also info.plist and edit some like this to FunSqueak

<key>SqueakImageName</key>
    <string>Squeak6.0alpha-17606-32bit.image</string>

On Windows you could put all in Documents folder (or in a Squeak folder) and
the trick launch your ,image.

Appreciate some on Linux give us the necessary tricks for have the right VM
in the right place.

Edgar
@morplenauta

On 01/04/2018, 23:26, "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is this still the most recent FunSqueak? If so, what VM does it work with?
flopped around between the available VMs from the Downloads
> page
(cog/spur/stack/v3/etc), but couldn't find the magic combination! Thanks
> :)

Re: A new Squeak release

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Edgar J. De Cleene-3 wrote
> Is 4.6 so any Cog (no Cog Spur) should work well

I navigated from the DL page to the OpenSmalltalk VMs [1] and tried four
combinations starting with "cog_macos32x86_squeak". Nothing seemed to work
:/

Edgar J. De Cleene-3 wrote
> download the official 4.6 All in one…

That worked! I'm in business. Thanks :)

1.
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/releases/tag/201608171728

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: A new Squeak release

David T. Lewis
Hi Edgar,

The Squeak oversight board has been discussing the upcoming release in our
last few meetings, and we would be very happy if you would agree to be the
Release Manager for the next Squeak release.

Overall we are thinking that a new Squeak 5.2 release would make sense if it
can be done in the next two or three months, so this should be our target.

There are also many advances happening in the VM that may lead to a Squeak 6
release some time later, but right now we have a lot of great improvements
in Squeak that deserve to be officially released soon.

Are you still interested and willing to be the release manager for Squeak 5.2?

Thanks in advance,

Dave, on behalf of the Squeak Oversight Board

On Fri, Mar 02, 2018 at 07:27:15AM -0800, Chris Cunningham wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 4:57 AM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > identify a person to serve as release manager to make it happen. I expect
> > > we will discuss this in our board meeting next week, but input (and volunteers
> > > or nominations) from anyone in the community would certainly be welcome
> > >
> > > I'm could be that person.
> > >
> > > Edgar
> > > @morplenauta
> > >

> > Cool! Thanks Edgar :-)
> >
> > To be honest the board has not paid enough attention to planning an
> > upcoming release, so I think it's going to be on the top of our agenda
> > this week.
> >
> > Thanks a lot for volunteering, I have always admired the work that you
> > do with FunSqueak.
> >
> Hear Hear! Definitely.
> -cbc
>

> > Dave

Re: A new Squeak release

David T. Lewis
That is great, thank you Edgar!

Yes of course we will help and be advisors.

Also, our next board meeting will be Wednesday, March 2 at 2:00pm in
your time zone. If you are available, you are invited to join us to
discuss the upcoming release. It is a Google Hangouts meeting, so one
of us will send you a link before the meeting.

I am CC'ing the board, but let's keep follow up discussion on the main
squeak-dev list.

Dave