A new experimental version of OLPC image for non-XO environments

A new experimental version of OLPC image for non-XO environments

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
  Hello,

  While ago, we made an experimental version of Etoys image based on
the OLPC code base but for non-XO environments.  We made another
iteration of it and upload it to:

http://tinlizzie.org/olpc/OLPC-Etoys080211.zip

  The image is based on the latest Etoys image, the suggestions from
Subbu about fonts and README wordings are incorporated, and OggPlugin
is included.  We may still change the initial screen (what do you
think if we should start with a screen with clouds or a blank screen?)
but the code should be almost in good shape.

  Hopefully, this will be the basis for the new version of Squeakland.

  For non-English version, the translation need to catch up as we have
been changing code in the image, but we can't wait for translations
too long.  The current plan is that the packages for other languages
are made gradually, and in one way or another (replace the file on the
squeakland.org or make a web server dedicated for different language
community and put the package for it on the server) they will be
accessible to the user.

-- Yoshiki

Re: [Etoys] A new experimental version of OLPC image for non-XO environments

Hilaire Fernandes-4
2008/2/18, Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]>:

>   The image is based on the latest Etoys image, the suggestions from
> Subbu about fonts and README wordings are incorporated, and OggPlugin
> is included.  We may still change the initial screen (what do you

OggPlugin Sound interesting :)

Do you have plan to include Ogg/Theora for video. I think it will be
terribly useful as the MPEG video plugin is really limited in what you
can play.
Now Ogg/Theora is becoming default standard in Linux with many tools
capable to record or convert to this format.
In the other hand, I very often have difficulties to produce MPEG
video playable in the Squeak image.

Hilaire

RE : A new experimental version of OLPC image for non-XOenvironments

Dreyfuss Pierre-André (EDUM)
I'm trying this image with windows.

How to get the menu for choosing sorting options while loading a project ?

With right clic we get halo as well as with alt /clic

regards

RE : A new experimental version of OLPC image for non-XOenvironments

Dreyfuss Pierre-André (EDUM)

If I start just clicking on the image, that to say the squeak.exe VM, things are working fine and right button give the menu for sorting but if I drop the image on the etoy.exe, the right button is giving halo.

regards

Re: A new experimental version of OLPC image for non-XOenvironments

Bert Freudenberg
This certainly is the "3 button mouse" VM setting (from the F2 menu).

For Etoys, having the halo available immediately is rather useful,
whereas context menus are almost unused. So that is why this setting
is used.

- Bert -

On Feb 18, 2008, at 20:28 , Dreyfuss Pierre-André (EDU) wrote:

> Hi,
>

> If I start just clicking on the image, that to say the squeak.exe
> VM, things are working fine and right button give the menu for
> sorting but if I drop the image on the etoy.exe, the right button
> is giving halo.
>
> regards

K. K. Subramaniam
On Monday 18 February 2008 12:00:11 pm Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
>   Hello,
>
>   While ago, we made an experimental version of Etoys image based on
> the OLPC code base but for non-XO environments.  We made another
> iteration of it and upload it to:
>
> http://tinlizzie.org/olpc/OLPC-Etoys080211.zip
The 3.9-12/squeak binary gives me a "Floating point exception" error on Debian
(Etch). A trace showed the fault occuring while loading libc.so.6. Is the
code compiled to work only for a specific version of libc6?

VM 3.9-8 (from Squeak-3.9-8.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz) works fine on the same
box.

Anyone else face this error?

Subbu

Re: RE : A new experimental version of OLPC image for non-XOenvironments

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
  Pierre-André,

> How to get the menu for choosing sorting options while loading a project ?

  I'm not sure which menu.

> With right clic we get halo as well as with alt /clic

  As Bert wrote, it is intentional.  For example, take a look at the
DemonCastle1 tutorial.  It says "to get halo, press the right button".
We would keep the behavior similar across the platforms.

  Thank you for the comment!

-- Yoshiki

Re: [Etoys] A new experimental version of OLPC image for non-XO environments

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
At Tue, 19 Feb 2008 12:54:50 +0530,
K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

> On Monday 18 February 2008 12:00:11 pm Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
> >   Hello,
> >
> >   While ago, we made an experimental version of Etoys image based on
> > the OLPC code base but for non-XO environments.  We made another
> > iteration of it and upload it to:
> >
> > http://tinlizzie.org/olpc/OLPC-Etoys080211.zip
> The 3.9-12/squeak binary gives me a "Floating point exception" error on Debian
> (Etch). A trace showed the fault occuring while loading libc.so.6. Is the
> code compiled to work only for a specific version of libc6?
>
> VM 3.9-8 (from Squeak-3.9-8.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz) works fine on the same
> box.
>
> Anyone else face this error?

  Subbu.  Sorry, you reported it once before but I just put some
wishful thinking and the problem goes away; so it still happens.

  A few enhancement since 3.9-8 is nice to have.  If the problem is
only libc, we might be able to have different versions compiled
differently, but this is something we would like to avoid.  Hmm.

-- Yoshiki

Re: [Etoys] A new experimental version of OLPC image for non-XO environments

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
At Mon, 18 Feb 2008 08:54:58 +0100,
Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> 2008/2/18, Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]>:
>
> >   The image is based on the latest Etoys image, the suggestions from
> > Subbu about fonts and README wordings are incorporated, and OggPlugin
> > is included.  We may still change the initial screen (what do you
>
> OggPlugin Sound interesting :)
>
> Do you have plan to include Ogg/Theora for video. I think it will be
> terribly useful as the MPEG video plugin is really limited in what you
> can play.
> Now Ogg/Theora is becoming default standard in Linux with many tools
> capable to record or convert to this format.
> In the other hand, I very often have difficulties to produce MPEG
> video playable in the Squeak image.

  As previously written, gstreamer would be a better way to go.  In the
current time frame, we would not put Theora right away, but it is in
general a good idea.

-- Yoshiki