A point a.k.a excuse to you

123

Re: A point a.k.a excuse to you

keith1y
Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
> I suggest making the socket as pluggable as possible, because I suspect we will see SSL sooner rather than later.  Call it a hunch.  Another thing that I would like to see is #readStream and #writeStream to lazily initialize appropriate streams on sockets.  Dolphin has had that for a long time, and it works very nicely.
>
> Bill

what does that give you?

Keith

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: A point a.k.a excuse to you

Michael Rueger-6
Keith Hodges wrote:

> So... would anyone out there be willing to rewrite HTTPSocket/Client
> from scratch so that it is well designed and so on from the ground up?
> Assuming that Socket will remain common between Squeak/Pharo etc, it
> could also provide an abstraction onto the Curl plugin as well. This new
> module would of course be for the benefit of all.

There are at least two clean implementations of a full HTTPClient out
there. I adapted one of them to my URI and MIME packages, next on my
list to make it work on Pharo.

I don't remember right now who did the original implementation, need to
look that up to give due credit.

Michael

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: HTTPSocket

Michael Rueger-6
Göran Krampe wrote:
> Hi!
>
> What about perhaps looking at what has already been done, like:
>
> http://map.squeak.org/package/15f42ec1-e93e-4bcf-ab2b-6746ae9d413f
> http://map.squeak.org/package/8644a5ff-923c-438f-b5b0-a281de346040

I used and adapted the second one IIRC. For reasons that I can't recall
right now I liked it better :-)

Michael

Swazoo-Lite? (was HTTPSocket)

Janko Mivšek
.. cross posted to swazoo-dev, pharo, swazoo-devel, aida, seaside.

Phil (list) pravi:
> On Mar 2, 2009, at 9:16 PM, Keith Hodges wrote:
>> So... would anyone out there be willing to rewrite HTTPSocket/Client
>> from scratch so that it is well designed and so on from the ground up?
>> Assuming that Socket will remain common between Squeak/Pharo etc, it
>> could also provide an abstraction onto the Curl plugin as well. This new
>> module would of course be for the benefit of all.

> I too am looking for a better solution but haven't found one yet.  I am
> interested in looking at anything better if it exists and am willing to
> lend a hand to helping work on such an effort as well.

> As I haven't found a solution yet, I have started to implement my own
> HTTPRequest and HTTPResponse classes which will (for now) be used as a
> front-end to a hacked up HTTPSocket.

What if we rather make a Swazoo-Lite, that is a subset of Swazoo just
with a HTTP client and a light HTTP server?

That way we will avoid yet another implementation of HTTPRequest and
Response classes , but we will reuse a proven and tested ones from Swazoo.

Swazoo currently don't have a HTTP client but this is easy to add
because  all the infrastructure is there. In Swazoo we otherwise need a
client for reverse proxy support, but this client can actually became
useful as a standalone client as well, as part of Swazoo Lite.

What do you think?

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: A point a.k.a excuse to you

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Which, pluggable sockets or streams?

> I suggest making the socket as pluggable as possible, because I suspect we will see SSL sooner rather than later.  Call it a hunch.  Another thing that I would like to see is #readStream and #writeStream to lazily initialize appropriate streams on sockets.  Dolphin has had that for a long time, and it works very nicely.
>
> Bill

what does that give you?

Keith

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: HTTPSocket

cedreek
2009/3/3 Michael Rueger <[hidden email]>:
> Göran Krampe wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> What about perhaps looking at what has already been done, like:
>>
>> http://map.squeak.org/package/15f42ec1-e93e-4bcf-ab2b-6746ae9d413f
>> http://map.squeak.org/package/8644a5ff-923c-438f-b5b0-a281de346040

As we are here, I wonder if this is related.
In the NetSqueak package [1], there is InternalSocket subclassed
InternalUDPSocket and InternalTCP socket.
It would be good the new implementation allows to load this package
(and to have an "official" network package).

Cheers

[1]  http://www.squeaksource.com/Net.html

--
Cédrick

Re: A point a.k.a excuse to you

Keith we understand your point. This is why I proposed to clean
Installer and run SmallLint on it.
and clean it again (no subclass references in superclass and other).

Now did you said the same to Croquet, Sophie, Etoy people?
why only to us? Then we have the right not to be happy with your
infrastructural choices.

Consider Pharo as insignificant and that squeak is the future. This
way you do not have to blame us
and we are happy.

Stef

On Mar 3, 2009, at 2:06 AM, Keith Hodges wrote:

> [...]
> certain method selectors. You could just call Behaviour direct. Its
> another  architectural layer, that frees up the back end to be old or
> new code as far as Sake task writers are concerned. I can write a task
> that says, "if you find this Class with a method categorised as so,
> then
> it needs to be recategorised as such", in such a way as this task
> would
> run in all images.
>
> Oh and again SystemEditor... another layer of abstraction for
> compiling
> and loading code atomically.
>
> So if you think about it, those who know about the compiler could be
> considering how to write their stuff, so that it logs to the Kernel
> Logging API (which is valid even if Logging isnt Loaded). They might
> consider connecting to SystemEditor in preference to providing a
> direct
> api, and another abstracted pluggable Module is needed to handle
> source
> code files (replacing RemoteString/ChangeSets etc), with Rio as the
> local/remote file API.
>
> Do you get the idea now?
>
> For the same treatment to be available for more significant chunks of
> squeak, we would need atomic loading to work. Now the code to provide
> atomic loading for everyone has been available for over a year, and it
> works if you dont use traits. So where is the expertise to really
> get it
> working for everyone with traits?
>
> The only difficulty with this approach is that you might need slightly
> different bits to make your NEW code load into older images. This
> problem is reasonably easily addressed with Installer-Scripts
> (LevelPlayingField+) and Sake/Packages.
>
> I fully agree with Matthew about core packages like Collections. BUT
> and
> this is the big but. If you are going to do that kind of thing, you
> need
> to think about it, plan it, and create and participate in a process
> that
> supports everyone is diverse images using and testing that package.
> From
> what I have seen there is only one person on the Pharo team that
> understands what LevelPlayingField is for, and how to use it.
>
> The biggest risk to this approach is if some other folks decide to
> fork
> some significant architectural component in a completely incompatible
> manner, without thinking about any bigger picture at all.
>
> Matthew's comment about how our tools are only just getting there isnt
> that relevant to the point that I am making. I didnt need a test and
> build server to innovate Rio for everyone rather than just for the
> image
> I am using (trouble was I was using 3 different images), all I needed
> was an inclusive attitude rather than an exclusive attitude.

Re: A point a.k.a excuse to you

keith1y
Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> Keith we understand your point. This is why I proposed to clean
> Installer and run SmallLint on it.
> and clean it again (no subclass references in superclass and other).
>
> Now did you said the same to Croquet, Sophie, Etoy people?
> why only to us? Then we have the right not to be happy with your
> infrastructural choices.

The croquet people namely (andreas) are on my case, and he clearly gets
this concept since he based his "running for the board" email on it.

The cobalt people = matthew and others, they "get it", and are using
some of the tools, and proposing common libraries.

Bertf has expressed an interest in etoys moving up to 3.10+ if the
transition can be eased.

The gjallar people use an Installer build script and are likely to be
among the third project to be using bob

So that leaves Sophie which I have no clue about.

cheers

Keith

Re: A point a.k.a excuse to you

Marcus Denker

On 03.03.2009, at 20:47, Keith Hodges wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> Keith we understand your point. This is why I proposed to clean
>> Installer and run SmallLint on it.
>> and clean it again (no subclass references in superclass and other).
>>
>> Now did you said the same to Croquet, Sophie, Etoy people?
>> why only to us? Then we have the right not to be happy with your
>> infrastructural choices.
>>
> The croquet people namely (andreas) are on my case, and he clearly
> gets
> this concept since he based his "running for the board" email on it.
>
> The cobalt people = matthew and others, they "get it", and are using
> some of the tools, and proposing common libraries.
>
> Bertf has expressed an interest in etoys moving up to 3.10+ if the
> transition can be eased.

So interestingly, all these peope never had *any* interest in
cooperating
on anything.

Etoys ignored 3.9 *completely*. (and all my activity to merge etoys
back before
that was always done not with that much enthusiasm from their side. I
got some
bit of help from Bert and Michael, but the activity always came from
my side).

Andreas disapeared for years (just to pee on us for a good laugh on
and off).

So I really wonder why they all changed their mind suddenly. Seriously.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  --  [hidden email]
http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: A point a.k.a excuse to you

Stéphane Ducasse
Fun enough I got the same feeling. Do you remember this etoy 3.8
release that should have been done fast and
last more than a couple of month and after no communication with 3.9
at all. Or the fork of Croquet.
So Marcus do not worry I can tell you that we are not paranoid and I
will not let anybody damage us.
And now we are even considered as the bad guy not wanted to merge....
I believe that people gets afraid by Pharo or have time to show us
that we are wrong (of course some may want to
really collaborate).

For now I will not discuss that point anymore on this list because we
do not make any progress and
we do not have to justify ourselves.

>>> The croquet people namely (andreas) are on my case, and he clearly
>> gets
>> this concept since he based his "running for the board" email on it.
>>
>> The cobalt people = matthew and others, they "get it", and are using
>> some of the tools, and proposing common libraries.
>>
>> Bertf has expressed an interest in etoys moving up to 3.10+ if the
>> transition can be eased.

I'm curious to see what they would gain.
And as if merging two streams would be that easy.

> So interestingly, all these peope never had *any* interest in
> cooperating on anything.
>
> Etoys ignored 3.9 *completely*. (and all my activity to merge etoys
> back before that was always done not with that much enthusiasm from
> their side. I  got some bit of help from Bert and Michael, but the
> activity always came from  my side).
>
> Andreas disapeared for years (just to pee on us for a good laugh
> on   and off).
>
> So I really wonder why they all changed their mind suddenly.
> Seriously.
>
> Marcus

Re: A point a.k.a excuse to you

cedreek
2009/3/4 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> Fun enough I got the same feeling. Do you remember this etoy 3.8
> release that should have been done fast and
> last more than a couple of month and after no communication with 3.9
> at all. Or the fork of Croquet.
> So Marcus do not worry I can tell you that we are not paranoid and I
> will not let anybody damage us.
> And now we are even considered as the bad guy not wanted to merge....
> I believe that people gets afraid by Pharo or have time to show us
> that we are wrong (of course some may want to
> really collaborate).

let's say (hope) this is a question of favorable conjecture (which you
hadn't back when you took 3.9)...

I think Matthiew and Keith... and some others, really pushed the idea
to live with forks (instead of building another image)...  After a
year or two, people start to go in their way... + people have maybe
more time to collaborate. IMO, the arrival of Igor and Eliot is also a
big win...

I think 2008 was a good smalltalk year... Pharo is a good choice
though because you offer something to developer that was simply absent
before and moreover, "people" were really reluctant to go in that
direction for squeak hence all your problems... So still, even if
there's a resurgence of squeak development collaboration, Pharo has
its place for the everyday developer  (even people like me who like to
do simple stuffs ... but in smalltalk). I see Pharo as the Smalltalk
oriented to developers, where you experience good development
practices (and invent new one) whereas squeak is more global, touch at
everything, experiment in all directions...

Pharo decision process will be anyway quicker than squeak (even with
Andreas proposal)... You can't imagine how much a little change like
the menu shrinking is important to me (and looked impossible to ask
for in squeak...). Maybe you won't totally reinvent Smalltalk but you
already provide a solid smalltalk basis for everyday work (nb: I'm
interested in first class slots ;) ).

Anyway I find the present synergy around smalltalk/squeak/pharo/gs...
really cool. Even if I understand your frustration, it might be
important to try to stay in sync as much as possible.

Keep the really good work :)

My 2 cents,

> For now I will not discuss that point anymore on this list because we
> do not make any progress and
> we do not have to justify ourselves.

>>> gets
>>> this concept since he based his "running for the board" email on it.
>>>
>>> The cobalt people = matthew and others, they "get it", and are using
>>> some of the tools, and proposing common libraries.
>>>
>>> Bertf has expressed an interest in etoys moving up to 3.10+ if the
>>> transition can be eased.
>
> I'm curious to see what they would gain.
> And as if merging two streams would be that easy.
>

>> So interestingly, all these peope never had *any* interest in
>> cooperating on anything.
>>
>> Etoys ignored 3.9 *completely*. (and all my activity to merge etoys
>> back before that was always done not with that much enthusiasm from
>> their side. I  got some bit of help from Bert and Michael, but the
>> activity always came from  my side).
>>
>> Andreas disapeared for years (just to pee on us for a good laugh
>> on   and off).
>>
>> So I really wonder why they all changed their mind suddenly.
>> Seriously.
>>
>>       Marcus

Cédrick

Re: A point a.k.a excuse to you

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

I agree that it is time to politely and unapologetically stick to the job of making Pharo a lean fast open Smalltalk with a robust IDE.  I too think that Pharo is very upsetting to some people - it is turning into a success.  You are wise to give others credit for wanting to collaborate, but finishing the cleaning seems the best approach.

Bill

Fun enough I got the same feeling. Do you remember this etoy 3.8
release that should have been done fast and
last more than a couple of month and after no communication with 3.9
at all. Or the fork of Croquet.
So Marcus do not worry I can tell you that we are not paranoid and I
will not let anybody damage us.
And now we are even considered as the bad guy not wanted to merge....
I believe that people gets afraid by Pharo or have time to show us
that we are wrong (of course some may want to
really collaborate).

For now I will not discuss that point anymore on this list because we
do not make any progress and
we do not have to justify ourselves.

>>> The croquet people namely (andreas) are on my case, and he clearly
>> gets
>> this concept since he based his "running for the board" email on it.
>>
>> The cobalt people = matthew and others, they "get it", and are using
>> some of the tools, and proposing common libraries.
>>
>> Bertf has expressed an interest in etoys moving up to 3.10+ if the
>> transition can be eased.

I'm curious to see what they would gain.
And as if merging two streams would be that easy.

> So interestingly, all these peope never had *any* interest in
> cooperating on anything.
>
> Etoys ignored 3.9 *completely*. (and all my activity to merge etoys
> back before that was always done not with that much enthusiasm from
> their side. I  got some bit of help from Bert and Michael, but the
> activity always came from  my side).
>
> Andreas disapeared for years (just to pee on us for a good laugh
> on   and off).
>
> So I really wonder why they all changed their mind suddenly.
> Seriously.
>
> Marcus

Re: A point a.k.a excuse to you

tx perl hacker :)

Stef
]
On Mar 4, 2009, at 2:56 PM, Cédrick Béler wrote:

> [...]
> important to try to stay in sync as much as possible.
>
> Keep the really good work :)
>
> My 2 cents,
>

>> For now I will not discuss that point anymore on this list because we
>> do not make any progress and
>> we do not have to justify ourselves.

>> I'm curious to see what they would gain.
>> And as if merging two streams would be that easy.
>>

>>> So interestingly, all these peope never had *any* interest in
>>> cooperating on anything.
>>>
>>> Etoys ignored 3.9 *completely*. (and all my activity to merge etoys
>>> back before that was always done not with that much enthusiasm from
>>> their side. I  got some bit of help from Bert and Michael, but the
>>> activity always came from  my side).
>>>
>>> Andreas disapeared for years (just to pee on us for a good laugh
>>> on   and off).
>>>
>>> So I really wonder why they all changed their mind suddenly.

Re: A point a.k.a excuse to you

Schwab,Wilhelm K
It strikes me (disagree if you feel the need) that Pharo can do all of the fun-goofy-crazy stuff that people want to protect (at cost) in Squeak.  I forget who it was, but one Squeaker essentially said to me "don't break our toy."  All I wanted was what Pharo is rapidly becoming: a robust system with good tools and themed feel.  You want focus jumping all over - fine, just make it optional so my users don't have to live with it.  Pharo is doing just that and more.

This will really stir the pudding in some minds: I think the best thing that could happen is that Squeak 6.0 == Pharo 3.0 plus packages to do whatever Squeak needs that Pharo does not provide.  I certainly do not want to break anyone's toy - I want to put a good GUI and toolset underneath it.

Thanks to all for the great work!

Bill

> [...]

>>> transition can be eased.
>
> I'm curious to see what they would gain.
> And as if merging two streams would be that easy.
>

>> So interestingly, all these peope never had *any* interest in
>> cooperating on anything.
>>
>> Etoys ignored 3.9 *completely*. (and all my activity to merge etoys
>> back before that was always done not with that much enthusiasm from
>> their side. I  got some bit of help from Bert and Michael, but the
>> activity always came from  my side).
>>
>> Andreas disapeared for years (just to pee on us for a good laugh
>> on   and off).
>>
>> So I really wonder why they all changed their mind suddenly.
>> Seriously.
>>
>>       Marcus

Cédrick

Re: A point a.k.a excuse to you

cedreek
2009/3/4 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

actually, I did only 2 weeks of Perl and I'm back to Pharo since... :)

Thanks to smalltalk, the very good point is I've nearly finished
something that is due in june !!! (I mean minus the 20% that takes
most of the time plus all the fancy stuffs I'd like to do around
diagrams).

I think I did the main skeleton in a week :) (it a planer prototype)
whereas my supervisor asked me for a class diagram... I just did in st
and used OB to draw the diagram... and two days later it was nearly
working :)   I think that's just impossible in another language (with
the same developer ;) ).

2 bad points though...

- people let me do it but nobody even look at the code :(
- don't know yet how to deploy ... Here I'd really like a micro
image... I might do with Pavel image or even think to use gnu-st...
Last solution is to port in perl mainly for people to maintain it if I
leave. Still don't know but I'll come back with question when
necessary...

See you,

Cédrick

Re: A point a.k.a excuse to you

Ramon Leon-5
>  I forget who it was, but one Squeaker essentially said to me "don't break our toy.

That's the attitude that infuriates me about Squeak, "toy" name, "toy" UI, and "toy" attitude.  I'm so glad Pharo was started so I can work with something that isn't a "toy" but a real professional "tool" who's name can be spoken aloud.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: A point a.k.a excuse to you

keith1y

> I think Matthiew and Keith... and some others, really pushed the idea
> to live with forks (instead of building another image)...  After a
> year or two, people start to go in their way... + people have maybe
> more time to collaborate. IMO, the arrival of Igor and Eliot is also a
> big win...0

But note Igor and Elliot are folks thinking in an inclusive manner.
Neither are they simply squeak/pharo focused.
> I think 2008 was a good smalltalk year... Pharo is a good choice
> though because you offer something to developer that was simply absent
> before and moreover, "people" were really reluctant to go in that
> direction for squeak hence all your problems... So still, even if

Actually no, I did not see any reluctance to go in that direction at
all. In fact the tabled proposals for 3.11+ had identical goals to
pharo's but a different way of getting there. The Pharo team required
that they have full control, whereas the 3.11 team assumes that they
dont have control, they are facilitating through tools.

> there's a resurgence of squeak development collaboration, Pharo has
> its place for the everyday developer  (even people like me who like to
> do simple stuffs ... but in smalltalk). I see Pharo as the Smalltalk
> oriented to developers, where you experience good development
> practices (and invent new one) whereas squeak is more global, touch at
> everything, experiment in all directions...
>
> Pharo decision process will be anyway quicker than squeak (even with
> Andreas proposal)... You can't imagine how much a little change like
> the menu shrinking is important to me (and looked impossible to ask
> for in squeak...).
Why? We have had a mechanism for proposing and loading such changes for
3 years. If you wanted to try new menus you could submit the changeset
to mantis and make that available for everyone. You didnt have to ask
anyone. I would happily use such a contribution.

What we have been lacking is the build infrastructure for testing and
harnessing such contributions. This was on the road map for 3.10 but
never happened, because the 3.10 team continued to be focussed on the
image as a deliverable rather than the process.

Keith

Re: A point a.k.a excuse to you

keith1y
Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
> It strikes me (disagree if you feel the need) that Pharo can do all of the fun-goofy-crazy stuff that people want to protect (at cost) in Squeak.  I forget who it was, but one Squeaker essentially said to me "don't break our toy."  All I wanted was what Pharo is rapidly becoming: a robust system with good tools and themed feel.  You want focus jumping all over - fine, just make it optional so my users don't have to live with it.  Pharo is doing just that and more.
>
> This will really stir the pudding in some minds: I think the best thing that could happen is that Squeak 6.0 == Pharo 3.0 plus packages to do whatever Squeak needs that
Where do you get this Squeak6.0 =Pharo3.0 + packages.

The vision for moving squeak forward has been Squeak Small Kernel +
Packages for several years now.

If Squeak6.0 (kernel) + packges = Pharo3.0 + packages then I will be a
happy person.

The problem with it is that Pharo will have a Pharo package system, a
Pharo SUinit, a Pharo Compiler, and a Pharo GUI, and none of the
packages will work between squeak and pharo.

Keith

Re: A point a.k.a excuse to you

Lukas Renggli
> The problem with it is that Pharo will have a Pharo package system, a
> Pharo SUinit, a Pharo Compiler, and a Pharo GUI, and none of the
> packages will work between squeak and pharo.

Why should it run on Squeak, if I have all my code running in Pharo?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: A point a.k.a excuse to you

cedreek
>> I think Matthiew and Keith... and some others, really pushed the idea
>> to live with forks (instead of building another image)...  After a
>> year or two, people start to go in their way... + people have maybe
>> more time to collaborate. IMO, the arrival of Igor and Eliot is also a
>> big win...0
>>
> But note Igor and Elliot are folks thinking in an inclusive manner.
> Neither are they simply squeak/pharo focused.

of course I've noticed ;)

>> I think 2008 was a good smalltalk year... Pharo is a good choice
>> though because you offer something to developer that was simply absent
>> before and moreover, "people" were really reluctant to go in that
>> direction for squeak hence all your problems... So still, even if
>>
> Actually no, I did not see any reluctance to go in that direction at
> all.

there were...

> In fact the tabled proposals for 3.11+ had identical goals to
> pharo's but a different way of getting there. The Pharo team required
> that they have full control, whereas the 3.11 team assumes that they
> dont have control, they are facilitating through tools.

there something true...  squeak decision process is democratic... but
with so many people having different interest  it's hard to converge.
Pharo is not democratic... but this is therefore quick to respond..

I find the tools orientation very clever ;)

>> there's a resurgence of squeak development collaboration, Pharo has
>> its place for the everyday developer  (even people like me who like to
>> do simple stuffs ... but in smalltalk). I see Pharo as the Smalltalk
>> oriented to developers, where you experience good development
>> practices (and invent new one) whereas squeak is more global, touch at
>> everything, experiment in all directions...
>>
>> Pharo decision process will be anyway quicker than squeak (even with
>> Andreas proposal)... You can't imagine how much a little change like
>> the menu shrinking is important to me (and looked impossible to ask
>> for in squeak...).
> Why? We have had a mechanism for proposing and loading such changes for
> 3 years. If you wanted to try new menus you could submit the changeset
> to mantis and make that available for everyone. You didnt have to ask
> anyone. I would happily use such a contribution.

I reckon whereas I find the idea of installer cool, I'm just puzzled
on how to use it...plus sometimes, before trying to do something, you
just ask... (i did not clean the menu).
I asked some maybe naive question/request on dev list and lots were
simply never answered... I know it's a whole process to write and sen
the right email... but here, I'm pretty sure I'll get a response.

This is also to me an example of a difficulty with your
mechanism/compared to Pharo decision process... because even just
cleaning the menu involves others changes... In pharo the decision was
taken to do it... so it's integrated... and adapted... I'm pretty sure
this is not obvious in squeak... harder because nearly on its own to
do it... and with big chances of not beeing integrated.

and another exemple of positive synergy...  Let's say it's robust and
cool in Pharo, then it can be brought back to squeak ;)

> What we have been lacking is the build infrastructure for testing and
> harnessing such contributions. This was on the road map for 3.10 but
> never happened, because the 3.10 team continued to be focussed on the
> image as a deliverable rather than the process.

new board will favorize that harvest process and as far as I
understand bob/sake and friends are the architecture... so it's cool !
Push it ;)

> Keith

Cédrick

123