A public Croquet space on the Internet

Eric Yu-3
Is there currently a publicly accessible Croquet space on the Internet?

Re: A public Croquet space on the Internet

Karl-19
Eric Yu wrote:
> Is there currently a publicly accessible Croquet space on the Internet?

www.croquetcollaborative.org is public.

Here is a how to:

http://xaverse.blogspot.com/2007/10/quick-and-dirty-guide-to-launching.html

Karl

Re: A public Croquet space on the Internet

Bob Arning
I suspect the question was if there was a space out on the internet where one could connect and possibly find other people already hanging out. Does the example below do that or simply create a new space locally on your computer?

Cheers,
Bob

Karl-19 wrote
Eric Yu wrote:
> Is there currently a publicly accessible Croquet space on the Internet?

www.croquetcollaborative.org is public.

Here is a how to:

http://xaverse.blogspot.com/2007/10/quick-and-dirty-guide-to-launching.html

Karl

Re: A public Croquet space on the Internet

David Faught
The KAT demo space can either connect to the public server's group of
spaces or create a local space, depending on whether you accept the
server name that you get prompted with or just erase it.  I have
occasionally run into others hanging out there ...

On 10/11/07, Robert Arning <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I suspect the question was if there was a space out on the internet where one
> could connect and possibly find other people already hanging out. Does the
> example below do that or simply create a new space locally on your computer?
>
> Cheers,
> Bob
>

> Karl-19 wrote:
> >
> > Eric Yu wrote:
> >> Is there currently a publicly accessible Croquet space on the Internet?
> >>
> > www.croquetcollaborative.org is public.
> >
> > Here is a how to:
> >
> > http://xaverse.blogspot.com/2007/10/quick-and-dirty-guide-to-launching.html
> >

> > Karl

Re: A public Croquet space on the Internet

dcorking
On 10/11/07, karl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Eric Yu wrote:
> > Is there currently a publicly accessible Croquet space on the Internet?
> >
> www.croquetcollaborative.org is public.
>
> Here is a how to:
>
> http://xaverse.blogspot.com/2007/10/quick-and-dirty-guide-to-launching.html

That seems an overly complex way of launching.  The simple steps at

http://www.croquetcollaborative.org/wordpress/?page_id=5

worked fine on my Mac.  Followed by hitting the 'Press me' button, as
described in the project workspace that is open on the first screen.
Take your pick.

As David F. said, this KAT server is a nice space where you just might
meet someone else.

Re: A public Croquet space on the Internet

Bob Arning
Does anyone know if the server at www.croquetcollaborative.org is actually up at this moment? IOW, is something broken on my end or theirs?

Cheers,
Bob

David Corking wrote

meet someone else.

On 10/12/07, Robert Arning  wrote:

> Does anyone know if the server at www.croquetcollaborative.org is actually up
> at this moment? IOW, is something broken on my end or theirs?

No connection from here in the UK either.    My guess it that the KAT
demo is temporarily down.

Re: A public Croquet space on the Internet

Howard Stearns-3
Indeed it was. ok now.

On Oct 12, 2007, at 9:48 AM, David Corking wrote:

> On 10/12/07, Robert Arning  wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know if the server at www.croquetcollaborative.org is
>> actually up
>> at this moment? IOW, is something broken on my end or theirs?
>
> No connection from here in the UK either.    My guess it that the KAT
> demo is temporarily down.

Re: A public Croquet space on the Internet

Bob Arning
That's great, although it seems to have died just this minute.

Also, what are the audible clicks?

Cheers,
Bob

Howard Stearns-3 wrote

On Oct 12, 2007, at 4:19 PM, Robert Arning wrote:

> That's great, although it seems to have died just this minute.

And so it has.  Now reset, but it's pretty slow.

I'm not certain, but I think there have been a bunch of folks
connecting lately with older (e.g., SDK) images.
http://opencroquet.org/index.php/Croquet_Collaborative#Help

http://www.wetmachine.com/itf/item/685

> Cheers,
> Bob
>

> Howard Stearns-3 wrote:
>>
>> Indeed it was. ok now.

>>> No connection from here in the UK either.    My guess it that the
>>> KAT
>>> demo is temporarily down.

Re: A public Croquet space on the Internet

Bob Arning
I am using the 1.0.18.9 image downloaded from your web site. The server has gone down three times today while I was looking at it. There was another rabbit on-screen in at least two of these cases. If older software is a problem, why not disallow it or at least have the server alert the user when connecting? Or maybe add a dunce cap to their avatar. ;-)

WRT the clicks - can they also indicate a server crash is more probable? Does it make sense to do anything other than slow down mouse movement?

Cheers,
Bob

Howard Stearns-3 wrote
On Oct 12, 2007, at 4:19 PM, Robert Arning wrote:

> That's great, although it seems to have died just this minute.

And so it has.  Now reset, but it's pretty slow.

I'm not certain, but I think there have been a bunch of folks
connecting lately with older (e.g., SDK) images.
http://opencroquet.org/index.php/Croquet_Collaborative#Help

> Also, what are the audible clicks?

http://www.wetmachine.com/itf/item/685

> Cheers,
> Bob
>

> Howard Stearns-3 wrote:
>>
>> Indeed it was. ok now.

>>> No connection from here in the UK either.    My guess it that the
>>> KAT
>>> demo is temporarily down.

Re: A public Croquet space on the Internet

Bob Arning
It may be my imagination, but there seems to be quite a bit of network traffic when nothing discernable is happening.

Re: A public Croquet space on the Internet

Chris Sandow
Well, I managed to connect (for the first time ever!) last night, after
downloading the most recent version (my older version wouldn't connect at all).
It was very 'laggy', though still usable, but I didn't hear any clicks. I was
just pleased to finally get connected!

There was another rabbit avatar, but whoever it was didn't seem to be active.