A question for Eliot

EstebanLM

Hi list, Eliot

I just updated my xcode, and everything stops working... but that's not my question (I'm trying to fix it myself before ask anything). The question is more about something I thought while updating: apple is slowly replacing GCC compiler with LLVM... what will happen with Cog when that process is finished and I did not count with GCC for apple?
(of course, I suppose gnu people will maintain gcc working, but we cannot know :( )

cheers,
Esteban

Re: A question for Eliot

Eliot Miranda-2

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi list, Eliot

I just updated my xcode, and everything stops working... but that's not my question (I'm trying to fix it myself before ask anything). The question is more about something I thought while updating: apple is slowly replacing GCC compiler with LLVM... what will happen with Cog when that process is finished and I did not count with GCC for apple?

Cog should continue to work if LLVM is correct.  At Qwaq/Teleplace we used the Intel C compiler on Mac and it worked well.  So Cog *should* work with any C compiler.  I have at least built Cog with LLVM.  The -O2 production VM crashes (in trying to create the Closed PIC prototype on initializing the JIT). But the -O1 assert and -O0 debug VMs do work.  So I think long-term we will be able to move to LLVM.  It's clearly not ready for prime time yet.

--
best,
Eliot