A question of Squeak

luisalejan1308
Hello people!!!!!

I'm doing a proyect on Squeak, and I need your help with a images. I need to convert a image on file extension in PNG to file extension FRM.. How can I do it??? Please!!! What program can I use??

Thankss!!!

Re: A question of Squeak

dcorking
On 10/18/07, luisalejan1308  wrote:

> I'm doing a proyect on Squeak, and I need your help with a images. I need to
> convert a image on file extension in PNG to file extension FRM.. How can I
> do it??? Please!!! What program can I use??

What is FRM?  A google search shows me Megalux Frame, PhotoFrame,
Visual Basic Form and others.

Which class uses the FRM format that you want to make?

add method from Workspace?

Don McLane

How can I add a method to a class from the workspace?  Adding a class is
easy, just send a message to the superclass.  FileIn does it all the
time, but I can't seem to do it with any variation of the format in a
.st file.

For the curious: the reason I want to do this is to make a classroom
demonstration go more smoothly.

Thanks,
Don McLane

Re: add method from Workspace?

Travis Kay
Don,

Open the message names browser and search for compile: . You'll most
likely find the methods compile: , compile:classified: and
compile:in:classified: most interesting. As a quick example, execute the
code below in a workspace, it will add the instances method myMethod to
the String class in the category 'complie-example'.

String compile: ' myMethod ^ ''testing'' ' classified: 'compile-example' .

Note that you will have to escape quotes... I hope this helps.

Travis

Don McLane wrote:

> How can I add a method to a class from the workspace?  Adding a class is
> easy, just send a message to the superclass.  FileIn does it all the
> time, but I can't seem to do it with any variation of the format in a
> .st file.
>
> For the curious: the reason I want to do this is to make a classroom
> demonstration go more smoothly.
>
> Thanks,
> Don McLane

how to get form with font

Don McLane

This is probably easy, but I can't seem to figure it out.  How can I get
a Form that has a font bitmap--preferably big and monospaced?  I just
want to demonstrate some elementary BitBlt operations.

Thanks,
Don

Don McLane
University of Washington Tacoma

Re: how to get form with font

Bert Freudenberg

On Oct 22, 2007, at 19:22 , Don McLane wrote:

> This is probably easy, but I can't seem to figure it out.  How can
> I get
> a Form that has a font bitmap--preferably big and monospaced?  I just
> want to demonstrate some elementary BitBlt operations.

(Text string: 'Hello World'  attribute: (TextFontReference toFont:
((TextStyle named: 'Accumon') fontOfPointSize: 12))) asParagraph asForm

- Bert -

Re: how to get form with font

Don McLane
Thanks.  That works--almost.  If I do:

myForm := (Text string: 'Hello World'  attribute: (TextFontReference
toFont: ((TextStyle named: 'Accumon') fontOfPointSize: 12))) asParagraph
asForm.

myForm display.

The result is an all black rectangle in the upper left corner.  But if I do:

myForm bitEdit.

Then I see the bitmap that I expect.  Is it a Morphic-MVC thing?

Thanks,
Don

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2007, at 19:22 , Don McLane wrote:
>

>> This is probably easy, but I can't seem to figure it out.  How can I get
>> a Form that has a font bitmap--preferably big and monospaced?  I just
>> want to demonstrate some elementary BitBlt operations.
>
> (Text string: 'Hello World'  attribute: (TextFontReference toFont:
> ((TextStyle named: 'Accumon') fontOfPointSize: 12))) asParagraph asForm
>
> - Bert -

Re: A question of Squeak

luisalejan1308
Hello!!!! If you remember I talked to you about the extension "Frm", Frm is the necessary extent to pass one imagen to squeak and only I found the extention of PNG, so that process is wrong. I want that a robot looks like image that I import as FRM extention, but I used the all images on PNG extention. (Because the Squeak Book says that It needs a image in FRM Extention to use in the program with robots). How can I convert the  formats images???

If you can help us to say how can I solve that problem!!! I would thank you!!

How to pick any image format and convert to Morph (was Re: A question of Squeak)

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 10/23/07 6:31 PM, "luisalejan1308" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Hello!!!! If you remember I talked to you about the extension "Frm", Frm is
> the necessary extent to pass one imagen to squeak and only I found the
> extention of PNG, so that process is wrong. I want that a robot looks like
> image that I import as FRM extention, but I used the all images on PNG
> extention. (Because the Squeak Book says that It needs a image in FRM
> Extention to use in the program with robots). How can I convert the  formats
> images???
>
> If you can help us to say how can I solve that problem!!! I would thank
> you!!

| aDir oldDir menu |
aDir := FileList2 modalFolderSelector "Select the directory with your
favourite graphics files".
oldDir := FileDirectory default. "Saving for later return to default"
FileDirectory setDefaultDirectory: aDir pathName.
menu :=TheWorldMenu new.
menu adaptToWorld: World.
menu readMorphFromAFile. "Here I advise you must follow with debugIt, you
are rewarded with deep secrets on how Squeak do things "
FileDirectory setDefaultDirectory: oldDir pathName

Hope this helps and show 3dot10 release team care of all you.

Edgar

Re: A question of Squeak

dcorking
On 10/23/07, luisalejan1308  wrote:

> Hello!!!! If you remember I talked to you about the extension "Frm", Frm is
> the necessary extent to pass one imagen to squeak and only I found the
> extention of PNG, so that process is wrong. I want that a robot looks like
> image that I import as FRM extention, but I used the all images on PNG
> extention. (Because the Squeak Book says that It needs a image in FRM
> Extention to use in the program with robots). How can I convert the  formats
> images???

Aha!  You mean Stephane Ducasse's book 'Squeak: Learn programming with robots'.

I found pages 69 and 70 with google books,

http://books.google.com/books?id=Zjp4t0qafZoC&pg=PA70&lpg=PA70&dq=squeak+robots+frm+image+extension&source=web&ots=EQMIWaUgqn&sig=E_QDdiy6Z9vydosjNCaMN_aPn2o#PPA70,M1

So I downloaded BotsInc:

http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/botsinc/download/

Like you I am a newbie - but it seems the 'FRM' format of the turtle
and spider image is the native Squeak 'Form' class:

http://www.oldenbuettel.de/squeak-doku/Graphics-Display%20Objects/Form.html

Unfortunately, I browsed that class, and I can't find a method for
converting PNG files into FRM format.

Perhaps there is a way to make a Bot wear a PNG graphic as a costume
(you can drag them into BotsInc easily, and they become a Sketch
Morph.  The halo menu has a 'Keep as bot costume' entry  )  But, I
don't have the whole Robots book, so I can't help any further.  Sorry.

Instead, is there a paint tool in BotsInc for making new costumes?

Re: A question of Squeak

Karl-19
David Corking wrote:

> On 10/23/07, luisalejan1308  wrote:
>
>> Hello!!!! If you remember I talked to you about the extension "Frm", Frm is
>> the necessary extent to pass one imagen to squeak and only I found the
>> extention of PNG, so that process is wrong. I want that a robot looks like
>> image that I import as FRM extention, but I used the all images on PNG
>> extention. (Because the Squeak Book says that It needs a image in FRM
>> Extention to use in the program with robots). How can I convert the  formats
>> images???
>>

> Aha!  You mean Stephane Ducasse's book 'Squeak: Learn programming with robots'.
>
> I found pages 69 and 70 with google books,
>
> http://books.google.com/books?id=Zjp4t0qafZoC&pg=PA70&lpg=PA70&dq=squeak+robots+frm+image+extension&source=web&ots=EQMIWaUgqn&sig=E_QDdiy6Z9vydosjNCaMN_aPn2o#PPA70,M1
>
> So I downloaded BotsInc:
>
> http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/botsinc/download/
>
> Like you I am a newbie - but it seems the 'FRM' format of the turtle
> and spider image is the native Squeak 'Form' class:
>
> http://www.oldenbuettel.de/squeak-doku/Graphics-Display%20Objects/Form.html
>
> Unfortunately, I browsed that class, and I can't find a method for
> converting PNG files into FRM format.
>
> Perhaps there is a way to make a Bot wear a PNG graphic as a costume
> (you can drag them into BotsInc easily, and they become a Sketch
> Morph.  The halo menu has a 'Keep as bot costume' entry  )  But, I
> don't have the whole Robots book, so I can't help any further.  Sorry.
>
> Instead, is there a paint tool in BotsInc for making new costumes?
Once a png image is filed into Squeak it is a form.
Karl

Re: A question of Squeak

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas

Hi All and thanks Edgar, David and Karl for your answers,

The person who made the question is one of my students. I invited him to
ask here because I believe that becoming part of a community of practice
is the best way to learn (well was nice to know that this "intuition" is
deeply studied in the book Communities of Practice by Etienne Wenger).

With your help we finally found our way to make the Bots look like
anything we want. The idea is that we made the dress for the Bot in an
external program (inkscape, to have a freely scalable image), export to
png and after that this code make the conversion the work:

| unaForma prueba |
unaForma := ImageReadWriter formFromFileNamed: 'cactus.png'.
prueba := FileStream newFileNamed: 'cactus', '.frm'.
unaForma storeOn: prueba.

We are, as always, creating our organic memory in Eduwiki:

http://eduwiki.info/Dramabotica/Escenarios
http://eduwiki.info/Dramabotica/Dialogos

So, with dressing and dialogs, dramabotics, looks advancing in good shape.

Cheers,

Offray

Pdt: Is nice to know that Bots Inc is in Google Books. Do you know if
there is some organization which we can contact to support the
liberation of this book and, for example, made Spanish freely
distributable translations and even get some licensing scheme similar to
the excellent Squeak by example?

karl wrote:

> David Corking wrote:
>> On 10/23/07, luisalejan1308  wrote:
>>
>>> Hello!!!! If you remember I talked to you about the extension "Frm",
>>> Frm is
>>> the necessary extent to pass one imagen to squeak and only I found the
>>> extention of PNG, so that process is wrong. I want that a robot looks
>>> like
>>> image that I import as FRM extention, but I used the all images on PNG
>>> extention. (Because the Squeak Book says that It needs a image in FRM
>>> Extention to use in the program with robots). How can I convert the
>>> formats
>>> images???
>>>

>> Aha!  You mean Stephane Ducasse's book 'Squeak: Learn programming with
>> robots'.
>>
>> I found pages 69 and 70 with google books,
>>
>> http://books.google.com/books?id=Zjp4t0qafZoC&pg=PA70&lpg=PA70&dq=squeak+robots+frm+image+extension&source=web&ots=EQMIWaUgqn&sig=E_QDdiy6Z9vydosjNCaMN_aPn2o#PPA70,M1
>>

>> So I downloaded BotsInc:
>>
>> http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/botsinc/download/
>>
>> Like you I am a newbie - but it seems the 'FRM' format of the turtle
>> and spider image is the native Squeak 'Form' class:
>>
>> http://www.oldenbuettel.de/squeak-doku/Graphics-Display%20Objects/Form.html
>>

>> Unfortunately, I browsed that class, and I can't find a method for
>> converting PNG files into FRM format.
>>
>> Perhaps there is a way to make a Bot wear a PNG graphic as a costume
>> (you can drag them into BotsInc easily, and they become a Sketch
>> Morph.  The halo menu has a 'Keep as bot costume' entry  )  But, I
>> don't have the whole Robots book, so I can't help any further.  Sorry.
>>
>> Instead, is there a paint tool in BotsInc for making new costumes?
> Once a png image is filed into Squeak it is a form.
> Karl

Re: A question of Squeak

dcorking
On 10/27/07, Offray Vladimir Luna Cardenas wrote:

> Hi All and thanks Edgar, David and Karl for your answers,

Edgar must have replied privately - I didn't see it.

> The person who made the question is one of my students. I invited him to
> ask here because I believe that becoming part of a community of practice
> is the best way to learn (well was nice to know that this "intuition" is
> deeply studied in the book Communities of Practice by Etienne Wenger).

Some people don't like to answer schoolwork questions on mailing
lists, but as long as it is encouraged by the teacher it is ok with
me.

Luis - Next time it might help if you explain more detail about your
project in the first mail.  But don't worry, I think this is what the
Newbies mailing list is for.

There is a BotsInc mailing list at:

http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/botsinc/community/

> With your help we finally found our way to make the Bots look like
> anything we want. The idea is that we made the dress for the Bot in an
> external program (inkscape, to have a freely scalable image), export to
> png and after that this code make the conversion the work:
>

> | unaForma prueba |
> unaForma := ImageReadWriter formFromFileNamed: 'cactus.png'.
> prueba := FileStream newFileNamed: 'cactus', '.frm'.
> unaForma storeOn: prueba.

Thanks for sharing your code.  It doesn't work for me - but I will
play with it as a learning exercise.
I think 'costume' is a better English word than 'dress' :)

> We are, as always, creating our organic memory in Eduwiki:
>
> http://eduwiki.info/Dramabotica/Escenarios
> http://eduwiki.info/Dramabotica/Dialogos

Good - I wish I could read Spanish!

> Pdt: Is nice to know that Bots Inc is in Google Books.

It is searchable, but you can't read the whole book ;)

> Do you know if
> there is some organization which we can contact to support the
> liberation of this book and, for example, made Spanish freely
> distributable translations and even get some licensing scheme similar to
> the excellent Squeak by example?

You could always ask the author - Stephane - it was his idea to make
'Squeak by Example' free, as far as I know.  But the Robots book is
still in print, so I expect his publisher won't let him make it free.
(I think Apress publish one or two freely distributable books - but I
think that is negotiated before publication.)

Did you start translating 'Squeak by Example'?

David Corking wrote:

> On 10/27/07, Offray Vladimir Luna Cardenas wrote:
>
>> Hi All and thanks Edgar, David and Karl for your answers,
>
> Edgar must have replied privately - I didn't see it.
>
>> The person who made the question is one of my students. I invited him to
>> ask here because I believe that becoming part of a community of practice
>> is the best way to learn (well was nice to know that this "intuition" is
>> deeply studied in the book Communities of Practice by Etienne Wenger).
>
> Some people don't like to answer schoolwork questions on mailing
> lists, but as long as it is encouraged by the teacher it is ok with
> me.
>
> Luis - Next time it might help if you explain more detail about your
> project in the first mail.  But don't worry, I think this is what the
> Newbies mailing list is for.
>
> There is a BotsInc mailing list at:
>
> http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/botsinc/community/

Well, we try our best before asking on the mailing list, but I don't see
this learning process as a different one from the people who is learning
from questions that emerged in their own research project instead of
classroom projects. Classroom is too far away from community, so the
idea is to make a bridge.

>> With your help we finally found our way to make the Bots look like
>> anything we want. The idea is that we made the dress for the Bot in an
>> external program (inkscape, to have a freely scalable image), export to
>> png and after that this code make the conversion the work:
>>

>> | unaForma prueba |
>> unaForma := ImageReadWriter formFromFileNamed: 'cactus.png'.
>> prueba := FileStream newFileNamed: 'cactus', '.frm'.
>> unaForma storeOn: prueba.
>
> Thanks for sharing your code.  It doesn't work for me - but I will
> play with it as a learning exercise.
> I think 'costume' is a better English word than 'dress' :)

Thanks... I remembered that it was something like "custom", but when I
search I didn't find the proper word. Thanks :)... mailing list are my
main way to learn english until now. I don't know why your method did
not work. Are you using the Bots Inc image? what is your error message?

>> We are, as always, creating our organic memory in Eduwiki:
>>
>> http://eduwiki.info/Dramabotica/Escenarios
>> http://eduwiki.info/Dramabotica/Dialogos
>
> Good - I wish I could read Spanish!

Well, I would like to have a better English also ;)

> You could always ask the author - Stephane - it was his idea to make
> 'Squeak by Example' free, as far as I know.  But the Robots book is
> still in print, so I expect his publisher won't let him make it free.
> (I think Apress publish one or two freely distributable books - but I
> think that is negotiated before publication.)
>
> Did you start translating 'Squeak by Example'?

Yep. Well, at this moment I'm more in the infrastructure part, because I
want to use bazaar or some distributed control system instead of
subversion for translation, so I'm trying to convert the subversion
LaTeX sources to bazaar (with no much success now, but I have a clue
about what's wrong).

Cheers,

Offray

Re: A question of Squeak

dcorking
>. Are you using the Bots Inc image? what is your error message?

Yes.  But my hard disk broke yesterday (unrelated to Squeak).   I will
get a new disk, install BotsInc on it, and investigate.