A smooth interface to the old world so we don't end up sharing a grave with smalltalk

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

A smooth interface to the old world so we don't end up sharing a grave with smalltalk

Karl Ramberg
I read this article on Light Table blog

Pain here is pain from using dev environments, dev tools et al.

He details plans for solving these problems in future dev tools.

Most of these development environment problems are touched on and mostly solved in Smalltalk environments.
And the author  seems to agree and finishes his to do list with:

"The key parts of our plan for Aurora are:
  • a smooth interface to the old world so we don't end up sharing a grave with smalltalk
"

Cheers,
Karl

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: A smooth interface to the old world so we don't end up sharing a grave with smalltalk

Chris Cunnington-4

On May 20, 2014, at 3:24 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

I read this article on Light Table blog

Pain here is pain from using dev environments, dev tools et al.

He details plans for solving these problems in future dev tools.

Most of these development environment problems are touched on and mostly solved in Smalltalk environments.
And the author  seems to agree and finishes his to do list with:

• a smooth interface to the old world so we don't end up sharing a grave with smalltalk
I love statements like this one. Five, six years ago they'd never head of Smalltalk. Now we're a benchmark. That thing in the rear view mirror advancing? That's Smalltalk. In five years, remember I said this. :p

Chris 

"

Cheers,
Karl

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: A smooth interface to the old world so we don't end up sharing a grave with smalltalk

timrowledge

On 20-05-2014, at 12:30 PM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On May 20, 2014, at 3:24 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> And the author  seems to agree and finishes his to do list with:
>>
>> "The key parts of our plan for Aurora are:
>> ...
>> • a smooth interface to the old world so we don't end up sharing a grave with smalltalk
> I love statements like this one.

Me too; the only thing that a 'smooth interface to the old world’ will do is make sure people use your new stuff as if it is the old stuff. That’s what happened with all those stupid languages that use C syntax ‘to help people get used to’ OOP (or functional, or whatever) and end up being JADCC in practice.

tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Strange OpCodes: XER: Exclusive ERror

Reply | Threaded
|

Hannes Hirzel
And here you can read about a "new" IDE concept

http://www.lighttable.com/2012/04/12/light-table---a-new-ide-concept/

Light table is based on a few guiding principles:

-  You should never have to look for documentation
  -  Files are not the best representation of code, just a convenient
serialization.
  -  Editors can be anywhere and show you anything - not just text.
  -  Trying is encouraged - changes produce instantaneous results
  -  We can shine some light on related bits of code

:-)

HH.

On 5/20/14, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On 20-05-2014, at 12:30 PM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>
>> On May 20, 2014, at 3:24 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> And the author  seems to agree and finishes his to do list with:
>>>
>>> "The key parts of our plan for Aurora are:
>>> ...
>>> • a smooth interface to the old world so we don't end up sharing a grave
>>> with smalltalk
>> I love statements like this one.
>
> Me too; the only thing that a 'smooth interface to the old world’ will do is
> make sure people use your new stuff as if it is the old stuff. That’s what
> happened with all those stupid languages that use C syntax ‘to help people
> get used to’ OOP (or functional, or whatever) and end up being JADCC in
> practice.
>
>
> tim
> --
> tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
> Strange OpCodes: XER: Exclusive ERror
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Trygve
In reply to this post by timrowledge

On 20.05.2014 23:16, tim Rowledge wrote:
On 20-05-2014, at 12:30 PM, Chris Cunnington [hidden email] wrote:

On May 20, 2014, at 3:24 PM, karl ramberg [hidden email] wrote:

And the author  seems to agree and finishes his to do list with:

I love statements like this one. 
Me too; the only thing that a 'smooth interface to the old world’ will do is make sure people use your new stuff as if it is the old stuff. That’s what happened with all those stupid languages that use C syntax ‘to help people get used to’ OOP (or functional, or whatever) and end up being JADCC in practice.

tim
--

I agree that we need to open new opportunities while we retain what we have learned to like and appreciate with Smalltalk over the past 30 years.  Object orientation as it is realized in the Squeak/Pharo runtimes have a lot more to offer than we currently utilize. The Squeak/Pharo runtimes support objects and object interaction. Objects are specified by classes, object interaction is often specified by an ensamble of methods that are distributed among several classes.

The essence of object orientation is that objects interact to achieve a goal. This interaction can be observed by making a trace of the runtime flow of messages through the system.  It is sometimes hard to get a picture of this interaction by reading the class codes. Jim Coplien (Cope) and I are working on a new, two-dimensional programming paradigm where the interaction is explicitly specified in a new dimension.  The paradigm is called DCI - Data, Context, and Interaction. In the Data projection, what-the-system-is, objects are observed from their insides and system state is specified by classes. In the new Context projection, what-the-system-does, objects are observed from their outsides. System behavior in the form of object interaction is here visible and tangible. Participating objects are named according to the role they play in the interaction. The behavior that an object needs to sustain its role is added to the object while it is needed.

DCI is non-intrusive in that it does not put any constraints on regular Squeak programming. We expect, however, that DCI will be found useful and that new projects will have simpler classes and explicit code for system behavior. I hope to get an opportunity to present DCI at ESUG in August.
--Trygve

--
Trygve Reenskaug      mailto: [hidden email]
Morgedalsvn. 5A       http://folk.uio.no/trygver/
N-0378 Oslo             http://fullOO.info
Norway                     Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27

Reply | Threaded
|

Chris Cunnington-4

On May 22, 2014, at 4:27 AM, Trygve Reenskaug <[hidden email]> wrote:

tim
--

I agree that we need to open new opportunities while we retain what we have learned to like and appreciate with Smalltalk over the past 30 years.  Object orientation as it is realized in the Squeak/Pharo runtimes have a lot more to offer than we currently utilize. The Squeak/Pharo runtimes support objects and object interaction. Objects are specified by classes, object interaction is often specified by an ensamble of methods that are distributed among several classes.

The essence of object orientation is that objects interact to achieve a goal. This interaction can be observed by making a trace of the runtime flow of messages through the system.  It is sometimes hard to get a picture of this interaction by reading the class codes. Jim Coplien (Cope) and I are working on a new, two-dimensional programming paradigm where the interaction is explicitly specified in a new dimension.  The paradigm is called DCI - Data, Context, and Interaction. In the Data projection, what-the-system-is, objects are observed from their insides and system state is specified by classes. In the new Context projection, what-the-system-does, objects are observed from their outsides. System behavior in the form of object interaction is here visible and tangible. Participating objects are named according to the role they play in the interaction. The behavior that an object needs to sustain its role is added to the object while it is needed.

DCI is non-intrusive in that it does not put any constraints on regular Squeak programming. We expect, however, that DCI will be found useful and that new projects will have simpler classes and explicit code for system behavior. I hope to get an opportunity to present DCI at ESUG in August.
--Trygve

--
Norway                     Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27

Reply | Threaded
|

Karl Ramberg
It's nice to hear about effort to reach a "next level" in handling code and complexity.
It is a hugely important topic. The exponential growth in complexity makes any code very hard to 
manage and understand.
Systems to manage that exponential complexity must most probably also be getting exponential more complex...

Cheers,
Karl

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 7:39 PM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

On May 22, 2014, at 4:27 AM, Trygve Reenskaug <[hidden email]> wrote:

tim
--

--Trygve

--
Norway                     Tel: <a href="tel:%28%2B47%29%2022%2049%2057%2027" value="+4722495727" target="_blank">(+47) 22 49 57 27