AIDA and Squeak trunk

Herbert König
Hi,

there was some discussion on Sueak dev about Aida not working in
latest trunk.

I can confirm it works up to update 10382 but stopped working around
Christmas. Also updating my app from 10382 to newer trunk images
failed.

The latter was caused due to some underscore assignments in
SwazooServerTest. Alas this only lets the update succeed but AIDA
still does not work.

I have a hunch, that the CSS (or imgs) of the header of the page is not
delivered properly. When the browser waits for the the (login) page to
be downloaded and I do a SwazooAida demoStop the page is displayed but
with missing styling for the page header. The actual login is
displayed properly.

Later I'll try with 6.2 beta.

Cheers,

Herbert                          mailto:[hidden email]

Re: AIDA and Squeak trunk

Herbert König
Hi,

HK> Later I'll try with 6.2 beta.

same problem though the beta solves the underscore issue.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: AIDA and Squeak trunk

Janko Mivšek
Hi Herbert,

On 10. 01. 2011 13:13, Herbert König wrote:

> there was some discussion on Squeak dev about Aida not working in
> latest trunk.

Yes, it seems that something is wrong with critical section support. At
least what Edgar already confirmed - if you switch-off critical sections
in AIDASite>>critical: , Aida works well again. Please try and let me know.

Best regards
Janko

> I can confirm it works up to update 10382 but stopped working around
> Christmas. Also updating my app from 10382 to newer trunk images
> failed.
>
> The latter was caused due to some underscore assignments in
> SwazooServerTest. Alas this only lets the update succeed but AIDA
> still does not work.
>
> I have a hunch, that the CSS (or imgs) of the header of the page is not
> delivered properly. When the browser waits for the the (login) page to
> be downloaded and I do a SwazooAida demoStop the page is displayed but
> with missing styling for the page header. The actual login is
> displayed properly.
>
> Later I'll try with 6.2 beta.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Herbert                          mailto:[hidden email]

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: AIDA and Squeak trunk

Herbert König
Hi Janko,

JM> Yes, it seems that something is wrong with critical section support. At
JM> least what Edgar already confirmed - if you switch-off critical sections
in AIDASite>>>critical: , Aida works well again. Please try and let me know.

unless I misunderstood you, in AIDA6.1 that does not help because

AIDASite>>critical: aBlock is implemented as:

  ^WebTransactionMonitor critical: aBlock

which in turn is already deactivated with a Timestamp of JM 4/25/2007:
WebTransactionMonitor>>critical: aBlock
        "For protecting critical sections in parallel execution of web requests. Use it always
        when you do things, which cannot be disturbed by another request. Example:
                WebTransactionMonitor critical: [<a block with critical section>]. "

"       ^self lock critical: aBlock. "
        ^aBlock value "Semaphore critical: somehow don't work"

exactly the same with the beta including the fact that
SwazooAida demoStop makes the page appear.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: AIDA and Squeak trunk

Janko Mivšek
Herbert,

Try to follow Swazoo debugging instructions at
http://www.swazoo.org/debbuging, maybe the error is somewhere in Swazoo
request parsing phase, which is supposed to be error free and its
exceptions are therefore ignored by default.

Best regards
Janko

On 10. 01. 2011 18:25, Herbert König wrote:

> Hi Janko,
>
> JM> Yes, it seems that something is wrong with critical section support. At
> JM> least what Edgar already confirmed - if you switch-off critical sections
> in AIDASite>>>critical: , Aida works well again. Please try and let me know.
>
> unless I misunderstood you, in AIDA6.1 that does not help because
>
> AIDASite>>critical: aBlock is implemented as:
>
>   ^WebTransactionMonitor critical: aBlock
>
> which in turn is already deactivated with a Timestamp of JM 4/25/2007:
> WebTransactionMonitor>>critical: aBlock
>         "For protecting critical sections in parallel execution of web requests. Use it always
>         when you do things, which cannot be disturbed by another request. Example:
>                 WebTransactionMonitor critical: [<a block with critical section>]. "
>
> "       ^self lock critical: aBlock. "
>         ^aBlock value "Semaphore critical: somehow don't work"
>
> exactly the same with the beta including the fact that
> SwazooAida demoStop makes the page appear.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: AIDA and Squeak trunk

Herbert König
Hi,

JM> Try to follow Swazoo debugging instructions at
JM> http://www.swazoo.org/debbuging, maybe the error is somewhere in Swazoo

ok I did start. The only debugging success was to find a typo in:
"Here are steps to debug your Swazoo absed web projects:"
(letters exchanged in based so it reads absed)

I did Step one:
Add breakpoint to SwazooSite>>answerTo: (or your subclass of SwazooSite)

    * if breakpoint is reached, step forward to your code
    * if not reached, error is in Swazoo code, continue with next step

The breakpoint in AIDASite answerTo: was reached. I stepped through it
and never got into code which would produce the login page, so I guess
I should have stepped into at a place where I stepped over.

What happened was that after some stepping several debuggers came up
(I guess because the browser repeated the request because of a timeout
but they came up all at once). I closed these debuggers with continue
but the main debugger went into a circle ending up in the original
halt I put into answerTo:

So I guess I need more detailed instruction.
I tried with Aida6.1final2, sport2031 and swazoo2.2.mcz.

But remember it worked up to Trunk 10382 build and the first one I
noticed it stopped was a 10850 build. So it was a change in Squeak not
a bug in Swazoo.

I think the most effective steps would be to start from a 10382 trunk
(sadly I only have one with my app loaded and my modifications to
swazoo sport and aida) and update one update after the other and see
which update breaks Aida.

I you agree that these are the most effective steps I'll go to Squeak
dev and ask how to start from an older image and do one update at a
time.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: AIDA and Squeak trunk

Janko Mivšek
Hi Herbert,

I always catch such errors (non responsive Aida) by breakpoints in those
three Swazoo points, therefore I propose you to go to the second and
third step. It could be that bug is somewhere in response part of Swazoo.

Best regards
Janko

On 11. 01. 2011 21:45, Herbert König wrote:

> Hi,
>
> JM> Try to follow Swazoo debugging instructions at
> JM> http://www.swazoo.org/debbuging, maybe the error is somewhere in Swazoo
>
> ok I did start. The only debugging success was to find a typo in:
> "Here are steps to debug your Swazoo absed web projects:"
> (letters exchanged in based so it reads absed)
>
> I did Step one:
> Add breakpoint to SwazooSite>>answerTo: (or your subclass of SwazooSite)
>
>     * if breakpoint is reached, step forward to your code
>     * if not reached, error is in Swazoo code, continue with next step
>
> The breakpoint in AIDASite answerTo: was reached. I stepped through it
> and never got into code which would produce the login page, so I guess
> I should have stepped into at a place where I stepped over.
>
> What happened was that after some stepping several debuggers came up
> (I guess because the browser repeated the request because of a timeout
> but they came up all at once). I closed these debuggers with continue
> but the main debugger went into a circle ending up in the original
> halt I put into answerTo:
>
> So I guess I need more detailed instruction.
> I tried with Aida6.1final2, sport2031 and swazoo2.2.mcz.
>
> But remember it worked up to Trunk 10382 build and the first one I
> noticed it stopped was a 10850 build. So it was a change in Squeak not
> a bug in Swazoo.
>
> I think the most effective steps would be to start from a 10382 trunk
> (sadly I only have one with my app loaded and my modifications to
> swazoo sport and aida) and update one update after the other and see
> which update breaks Aida.
>
> I you agree that these are the most effective steps I'll go to Squeak
> dev and ask how to start from an older image and do one update at a
> time.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: AIDA and Squeak trunk

Herbert König
Hi Janko,

JM> I always catch such errors (non responsive Aida) by breakpoints in those
JM> three Swazoo points, therefore I propose you to go to the second and
JM> third step. It could be that bug is somewhere in response part of Swazoo.

again I stumbled over the instructions on the site which I read "Only
if halt in AidaSite is not reached proceed ...". Regarding my limited
time I choose not to do the following steps.

Anyway HTTPConnection>>interact throws Errors for:
GET /img/aidabannerjpg.jpg  Error: '** not valid -- use * instead'

Same for Get lightbox.js screen.css and other pictures and css

Common to all was an accept header */* (note the additional /)

Let me cut a long story short, I don't know what happened to Aida but
the attached png shows the change in Squeak that causes the problem.

How to proceed?

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Recent versions of startingAt#match#startingAt#.png (81K) Download Attachment

Re: AIDA and Squeak trunk

Herbert König
Hi,

ok, the culprit is:
WebStatistics>>isLocalUrl
isLocalUrl: anUrlString
        "true, if this url points to page from this server"
        ^self site uriPattern contains: [:siteIdentifier |
                ('http://', siteIdentifier host, '*') match: anUrlString]

because siteIdentifier host is '*' already.