[ANN] 3.9a7026

Marcus Denker
Hi,

New 39a7026 is up (Harvesting bone by Stef). Beta is coming closer...

http://ftp.squeak.org/3.9/Squeak3.9a-7026.zip

ChangeLog
==========

Change Set: LongDelayFixes
Date: 4 October 2005

See Mantis bug 1840 and 854.
This changeset allows a too-long Delay to fail the relevant primitive
and schedules a fake
delay to keep the timer system going. I claim this is preferable to
disallowing long delays.

Also slightly improves handling of rollover and the treatment of
multiple delays with the same resumption time"

---------------------------------
3515 - Parser fails in #defineClass: becasue Metaclass doest not
understand #category (DF)
---------------------------------
003513: [ENH] ToolBuilderBldEnh-KR  (korakurider)
ToolBuilder>>(class)build:
enable default builder to build objects without opening.
It's useful for building authoring prototypes for ToolBuilder-based
tools in parts bin.
---------------------------------
0003510: In 3.9a requesting a language change leads to infinite
generation of testRunners (korakurider)
---------------------------------
0003504: Float asInteger conversion is inexact...   (nicolas cellier)

Re: [ANN] 3.9a7026 - Some thoughts...

Cesare Marilungo
Marcus Denker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> New 39a7026 is up (Harvesting bone by Stef). Beta is coming closer...

I'm still a Smalltalk/Squeak newbie, but I want to contribute to the
development of Squeak images (mostly fixing the bugs I find while
playing with these images).

I'd like to become one of the developers of squeak images. Where can I
apply? :-)

So far, I've noticed a bunch of small things (mostly regarding the GUI)
that worked in the 3.8 images but seems to be broken in the current alphas:

- borders on rollover-able morphs are no more centered;

- the button morph gets a bit darker everytime I click on it and release
the mouse button outside of it;

- #romanString in SmallInteger is no more implemented. So selecting
roman numerals in the watch object morph raises an error.

As with every other opensource project I believe that everything should
be kept as a possible choice both for user and developers. So, for
instance, I believe Morphic should be kept and improved even if there's
Tweak in development. The same applies to Balloon3D (even if there is
Croquet).

Also, I would like to see an officially mantained bare bones image from
which developers could easily build their projects upon for a cleaner
and lighter deployment of applications built with Squeak.

What do you people think about this?

Ciao,

c.
--
www.cesaremarilungo.com

Re: [ANN] 3.9a7026 - Some thoughts...

Edgar J. De Cleene
Cesare Marilungo puso en su mail :

> Also, I would like to see an officially mantained bare bones image from
> which developers could easily build their projects upon for a cleaner
> and lighter deployment of applications built with Squeak.

Well, I have SqueakLight, not a bare bones image and not official.

And I can build it from about 800 to 1200 clases from 3.9a 6705, have almost
any Morphic, drag and drop of most what Squeak could read, mp3 play, IRC,
Shout, etc.

Range could be from 3.6 to 6 mb (depends of what you wish have)

And guide you to built any (but no built for you)... :=)

Edgar

Correo Yahoo!

Re: [ANN] 3.9a7026 - Some thoughts...

Cesare Marilungo

> - #romanString in SmallInteger is no more implemented. So selecting
> roman numerals in the watch object morph raises an error.

Just found that this is fixed by calling printStringRoman instead of
romanString which is deprecated (even in 3.8) and has been discarded in
3.9alphas Integer class.

Meanwhile, I've found another bug in the 'clipboard' morph: changing
font, style and alignment via halos doesn't work (it revert the change
after a second).

Keep up with the good work.

Ciao,

c.
www.cesaremarilungo.com

Re: [ANN] 3.9a7026 - Some thoughts...

Nicolas Cellier-3
Le Mardi 02 Mai 2006 00:02, Cesare Marilungo a écrit :

> > - #romanString in SmallInteger is no more implemented. So selecting
> > roman numerals in the watch object morph raises an error.
>
> Just found that this is fixed by calling printStringRoman instead of
> romanString which is deprecated (even in 3.8) and has been discarded in
> 3.9alphas Integer class.
>
> Meanwhile, I've found another bug in the 'clipboard' morph: changing
> font, style and alignment via halos doesn't work (it revert the change
> after a second).
>
> Keep up with the good work.
>
> Ciao,
>
> c.

Hi Cesare,

I am a four month old squeaker, but elder will correct me if i am wrong

i suggest you simply create an account on mantis at
http://bugs.impara.de/signup_page.php

There, it is very simple via any web browser to search if the bug has been
reported or not, and if not, to report it.

If you have fixed the bug already, create a separate ChangeSet with the
correction, fileOut and upload on the mantis site.

If you have a piece of code showing the bug, also upload it (not always easy
with graphics...).

I think the guys at the other end of the pipe harvesting bugs and fixes will
have a lot of job if we all start to publish, but this is easier for them to
track these on mantis than on squeak-dev.

Nicolas

Re: [ANN] 3.9a7026 - Some thoughts...

Cesare Marilungo

>i suggest you simply create an account on mantis at
>http://bugs.impara.de/signup_page.php

Done. Thank you.

I've also noticed that two issues I wrote about were already reported.
One of them (the problem with the button color consistency) has been
fixed with a changeset some weeks ago, but it didn't get into latest
alpha releases.

Anyway, can you explain me the correct procedure to fileout a changeset
just for the methods I've modified and where to add the comments I see
in other's people changesets?

Ciao,

c.
--
www.cesaremarilungo.com

Re: [ANN] 3.9a7026 - Some thoughts...

stéphane ducasse-2
Hi cesare

thanks for your contribution. We try our best to pay attention to the
fixes and feedback that are provided.
What you should do, is to try to be as clear as possible and provide
fixes or SUnit tests to show the problems.

Stef

Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

>And guide you to built any (but no built for you)... :=)

Yes, please. I would really like to learn how to start from a full image
and remove things I don't need in order to make it smaller. It would be
interesting not only for pratical purposes but also as a way to learn
the inner workings of Squeak.

Thanks in advance,

c.
www.cesaremarilungo.com

On 02.05.2006, at 00:54, Cesare Marilungo wrote:

>> i suggest you simply create an account on mantis at http://
>> bugs.impara.de/signup_page.php
>>

> Done. Thank you.
>
> I've also noticed that two issues I wrote about were already
> reported. One of them (the problem with the button color
> consistency) has been fixed with a changeset some weeks ago, but it
> didn't get into latest alpha releases.

In this case: Please test the propose fix, and then add a comment to
the bug-report that says that you think it should be added.

      Marcus

Le Mardi 02 Mai 2006 00:54, Cesare Marilungo a écrit :
> Anyway, can you explain me the correct procedure to fileout a changeset
> just for the methods I've modified and where to add the comments I see
> in other's people changesets?

All changes are registered in a list of changes called a changeSet.
Several changeSet exist in parallel in the image, to help classifying.
When you change something, it is remembered in the current changeSet.

In the world menu, select 'changes...'.

Then in the sub menu 'dual change sorter'

You get too panels in parrallel :
left pane=list of changeSet
right list=list of class names which have some changes
middle panel=list of selector which have changes for selected class in the
right list
bottom panel=sourceCode of selected selector in the middle panel

On the right side, select menu 'new change set...', give it a name like
Morphic-romanPrinting-Patch

Then on the left side (current changeSet is selected by default), browse what
class or selector change is relevant to the patch, and use menu 'move class
chgs to other side' or 'move method to other side'.

On the right side select fileOut and you get a file
Morphic-romanPrinting-Patch.1.cs the first time,
Morphic-romanPrinting-Patch.2.cs if you repeat the fileOut, etc...

Warning: the operation of creating a changeSet also make it the default
changeSet. On the left side, select menu 'make changes go to me'.

For the comments, i did not check, try and explore the menus...

Nicolas

Marcus Denker wrote:

> On 02.05.2006, at 00:54, Cesare Marilungo wrote:
>

>>> i suggest you simply create an account on mantis at http://
>>> bugs.impara.de/signup_page.php
>>>

>> Done. Thank you.
>>
>> I've also noticed that two issues I wrote about were already
>> reported. One of them (the problem with the button color
>> consistency) has been fixed with a changeset some weeks ago, but it
>> didn't get into latest alpha releases.
>>
> In this case: Please test the propose fix, and then add a comment to
> the bug-report that says that you think it should be added.
>
>      Marcus

Done.

The proposed fix introduces some other issues. I've posted another
solution but it's still not perfect. I'll work on it as soon as I have
some more spare time.

Thanks,

c.
--