[ANN] 3.9alpha-7000 out

stéphane ducasse-2
Hi

We pushed a new alpha:
        - complete OB
        - EToys-jmv.7.mcz, MorphicExtras-jmv.12.mcz and Morphic-jmv.70.mcz
to the inbox.
> This version includes:
> - Mantis-0504-CurvierMorph, fix by Jerome Peace (wiz)
> - Resizing SystemWindows on any corner, fix by Juan Vuletich (jmv)
> and Robin (rl)
> - Removal CDScreenShotMorph, indicated by Jerome Peace (wiz)
> Reviewed by Juan Vuletich (jmv)

Juan and the morphic team apparently there is a bug with iconic
button: click on the tools flaps to see what I want to say.

Stef

PS:
why 7000 because 3.8.1 will use now 6730 :)

Re: [ANN] 3.9alpha-7000 out

Juan Vuletich
Hi Stef,

The problem does not happen in my 6729 image where I built the new versions
of the packages.
I'll take a closer look tonight.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich
> - EToys-jmv.7.mcz, MorphicExtras-jmv.12.mcz and Morphic-jmv.70.mcz  to the
> inbox.
>> This version includes:
>> - Mantis-0504-CurvierMorph, fix by Jerome Peace (wiz)
>> - Resizing SystemWindows on any corner, fix by Juan Vuletich (jmv)  and
>> Robin (rl)
>> - Removal CDScreenShotMorph, indicated by Jerome Peace (wiz)
>> Reviewed by Juan Vuletich (jmv)
>

> Juan and the morphic team apparently there is a bug with iconic  button:
> click on the tools flaps to see what I want to say.
>
> Stef
>
> PS:
> why 7000 because 3.8.1 will use now 6730 :)
>
> Stef

Re: [ANN] 3.9alpha-7000 out

Juan Vuletich
Hi Stef, Markus and everybody.

In 3.9a-7000 the method Object >> adaptedToWorld: is missing. It was in the
Kernel package, and I could not have removed it. Please open a simple change
sorter and locate the latest change set. It is MC25. I guess it has the
latest stuff that was loaded from Monticello packages. Then click on the
Object class. It has a lot of removed methods, #adaptedToWorld: being the
first. Most likely these methods were deleted by mistake.

It seems a different version of  Kernel-md.98 was loaded. Or something else
and equally strange happened. I really can't tell.

Please take a look, and consider rebuilding the 3.9a-7000 image from
3.9a-6729, loading the stuff step by step, to find out why those methods
were deleted.

... went to check stuff...

Ok, I found something else. In 3.9a-6728, this method is in the Etoys
package, not in kernel. This is quite weird, as the version of Etoys in that
image is also Etoys-md.6. However, if 3.9a-7000 was built from 3.9a-6728 and
not 3.9a-6729, this explains the deletions.

So, I have some questions:
1) From which version was 3.9a-7000 built?
2) Why 3.9a-6728 and 3.9a-6729 have the same version number of the Etoys
package and one has the lost method and the other doesn't?
3) Should I publish new versions of the packages, starting from 3.9a-6728
and not 6729?
4) How should we package maintainer know from which version start to publish
our packages?
5) Can I help fixing this in some other way?
6) Finally, is there something else I can keep in mind to prevent this kind
of problems in the future?

Thanks,
Juan Vuletich

> - EToys-jmv.7.mcz, MorphicExtras-jmv.12.mcz and Morphic-jmv.70.mcz  to the
> inbox.
>> This version includes:
>> - Mantis-0504-CurvierMorph, fix by Jerome Peace (wiz)
>> - Resizing SystemWindows on any corner, fix by Juan Vuletich (jmv)  and
>> Robin (rl)
>> - Removal CDScreenShotMorph, indicated by Jerome Peace (wiz)
>> Reviewed by Juan Vuletich (jmv)
>

> Juan and the morphic team apparently there is a bug with iconic  button:
> click on the tools flaps to see what I want to say.
>
> Stef
>
> PS:
> why 7000 because 3.8.1 will use now 6730 :)
>
> Stef

Re: [ANN] 3.9alpha-7000 out

Marcus Denker

On 21.02.2006, at 02:24, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Hi Stef, Markus and everybody.
>
> In 3.9a-7000 the method Object >> adaptedToWorld: is missing. It
> was in the Kernel package, and I could not have removed it. Please
> open a simple change sorter and locate the latest change set. It is
> MC25. I guess it has the latest stuff that was loaded from
> Monticello packages. Then click on the Object class. It has a lot
> of removed methods, #adaptedToWorld: being the first. Most likely
> these methods were deleted by mistake.
>
> It seems a different version of  Kernel-md.98 was loaded. Or
> something else and equally strange happened. I really can't tell.
>
> Please take a look, and consider rebuilding the 3.9a-7000 image
> from 3.9a-6729, loading the stuff step by step, to find out why
> those methods were deleted.
>
> ... went to check stuff...
>
> Ok, I found something else. In 3.9a-6728, this method is in the
> Etoys package, not in kernel. This is quite weird, as the version
> of Etoys in that image is also Etoys-md.6. However, if 3.9a-7000
> was built from 3.9a-6728 and not 3.9a-6729, this explains the
> deletions.
>
> So, I have some questions:
> 1) From which version was 3.9a-7000 built?

6729, I'm sure.

> 2) Why 3.9a-6728 and 3.9a-6729 have the same version number of the
> Etoys package and one has the lost method and the other doesn't?

I think the problem is the following: when a method gets moved to
another package, it is removed from the original one.
So when the methods got categorized *etoy, kernel was saved -->
method gone.
And then, somehow, it was forgotten to save the eToy package, too -->
method not in etoy, too.

I wonder why this happend, but I guess this was how.

This is complicated by the recategorizations that fileIns of
changesets like to do... if you look at the history of the methods
in question, they kind of move back and forth between kernel and etoy
very often.

> 3) Should I publish new versions of the packages, starting from
> 3.9a-6728 and not 6729?

We would need an eToy package that has the method from Object... if
we load that in 7001, everything
should work again.

> 4) How should we package maintainer know from which version start
> to publish our packages?

The latest one, or even an earlier one... merging works normally
quite nicely.

> 6) Finally, is there something else I can keep in mind to prevent
> this kind of problems in the future?

Good question... surely: Better Packages that do not rely on naming
conventions of method categories.

    Marcus

Re: [ANN] 3.9alpha-7000 out

Marcus Denker
Hi,

>> 3) Should I publish new versions of the packages, starting from
>> 3.9a-6728 and not 6729?
>
> We would need an eToy package that has the method from Object... if
> we load that in 7001, everything
> should work again.

I checked, and the etoys-jmv.7 has only the wrong removals as changes
from md.6, so just loading
the older version should fix the problem.

     Marcus

Re: [ANN] 3.9alpha-7000 out

Juan Vuletich
Hi Marcus.

I will new versions of the packages later today.

I will take again a fresh 6729 image and repeat the process, but instead of
trusting the versions of my packages loaded in there, I will load them from
the 3.9a repository.

Why? Because on a fresh 6729 image, if I save locally Etoys, I get a 611 Kb
file, while the one in the 3.9a repository is 625. So there we seem to have
the problem.

Please tell me if this sounds ok to you.

Thanks,
Juan Vuletich
>>> 3) Should I publish new versions of the packages, starting from
>>> 3.9a-6728 and not 6729?
>>
>> We would need an eToy package that has the method from Object... if  we
>> load that in 7001, everything
>> should work again.
>
> I checked, and the etoys-jmv.7 has only the wrong removals as changes
> from md.6, so just loading
> the older version should fix the problem.
>
>     Marcus

[ANN] fixed 3.9a7000 was: Re: [ANN] 3.9alpha-7000 out

Marcus Denker

Because of the faulty package, we re-did the 7000:

http://ftp.squeak.org/3.9alpha/Squeak3.9a-7000.zip

      Marcus

On 21.02.2006, at 02:24, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Hi Stef, Markus and everybody.
>
> In 3.9a-7000 the method Object >> adaptedToWorld: is missing. It
> was in the Kernel package, and I could not have removed it. Please
> open a simple change sorter and locate the latest change set. It is
> MC25. I guess it has the latest stuff that was loaded from
> Monticello packages. Then click on the Object class. It has a lot
> of removed methods, #adaptedToWorld: being the first. Most likely
> these methods were deleted by mistake.

Re: [ANN] fixed 3.9a7000 was: Re: [ANN] 3.9alpha-7000 out

Juan Vuletich
Thanks Marcus!

Juan Vuletich