[ANN] DTrace for Squeak/Pharo

Adrian Lienhard

Now there's also a DTrace provider for the Squeak VM:

http://www.adrian-lienhard.ch/blog?dialog=smalltak-meets-dtrace

DTrace is a powerful, kernel-based dynamic tracing framework. With the new provider one can analyze the execution of Pharo/Squeak applications.

My post is an introduction that should get you quickly started. I've attached a pre-compiled VM for OS X.

Hope you like it :)

Cheers,
Adrian
___________________
http://www.adrian-lienhard.ch/

Re: [ANN] DTrace for Squeak/Pharo

Mariano Martinez Peck

Hi Adrian, this sounds AMAZING. I am reading the post and trying to make it work, but have a problem trying to lunch start.command
I have Mac OS 10.5.8

/Users/mariano/Pharo/VM/pharo-dtrace/start.command ; exit;
SQUEAK_ENCODING=UTF-8
SQUEAK_PATHENC=UTF-8
SQUEAK_PLUGINS=/Users/mariano/Pharo/VM/pharo-dtrace/VM/%n
+ exec /Users/mariano/Pharo/VM/pharo-dtrace/VM/squeakvm PharoCore-1.0.image
dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
/Users/mariano/Pharo/VM/pharo-dtrace/start.command: line 4:  8676 Trace/BPT trap          ./VM/squeak PharoCore-1.0.image
logout

[Process completed]

any hints?

Thanks!

Mariano

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:

Now there's also a DTrace provider for the Squeak VM:

http://www.adrian-lienhard.ch/blog?dialog=smalltak-meets-dtrace

DTrace is a powerful, kernel-based dynamic tracing framework. With the new provider one can analyze the execution of Pharo/Squeak applications.

My post is an introduction that should get you quickly started. I've attached a pre-compiled VM for OS X.

Hope you like it :)

Cheers,
Adrian
___________________
http://www.adrian-lienhard.ch/

Re: [Pharo-project] [Vm-dev] [ANN] DTrace for Squeak/Pharo

Adrian Lienhard

Hi Mariano,

It's probably a versioning problem as I am on 10.6.3 (like [1]).

I'll send you in a private mail the generated VM sources so you can try to compile yourself if you like.

Cheers,
Adrian

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1440456/static-libraries-in-version-cross-compiled-program

On May 11, 2010, at 15:13 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi Adrian, this sounds AMAZING. I am reading the post and trying to make it
> work, but have a problem trying to lunch start.command
> I have Mac OS 10.5.8
>
> /Users/mariano/Pharo/VM/pharo-dtrace/start.command ; exit;
> SQUEAK_ENCODING=UTF-8
> SQUEAK_PATHENC=UTF-8
> SQUEAK_PLUGINS=/Users/mariano/Pharo/VM/pharo-dtrace/VM/%n
> + exec /Users/mariano/Pharo/VM/pharo-dtrace/VM/squeakvm PharoCore-1.0.image
> dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
> /Users/mariano/Pharo/VM/pharo-dtrace/start.command: line 4:  8676 Trace/BPT
> trap          ./VM/squeak PharoCore-1.0.image
> logout
>
> [Process completed]
>

> any hints?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mariano
>

> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Now there's also a DTrace provider for the Squeak VM:
>>
>> http://www.adrian-lienhard.ch/blog?dialog=smalltak-meets-dtrace
>>
>> DTrace is a powerful, kernel-based dynamic tracing framework. With the new
>> provider one can analyze the execution of Pharo/Squeak applications.
>>
>> My post is an introduction that should get you quickly started. I've
>> attached a pre-compiled VM for OS X.
>>
>> Hope you like it :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Adrian

Re: [ANN] DTrace for Squeak/Pharo

johnmci

Ah, nice, yes very nice.

One interesting one to have a probe for would be ioShowDisplayOnWindow so one can understand how much screen drawing goes on.

On 2010-05-11, at 12:13 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Now there's also a DTrace provider for the Squeak VM:
>
> http://www.adrian-lienhard.ch/blog?dialog=smalltak-meets-dtrace
>
> DTrace is a powerful, kernel-based dynamic tracing framework. With the new provider one can analyze the execution of Pharo/Squeak applications.
>
> My post is an introduction that should get you quickly started. I've attached a pre-compiled VM for OS X.
>
> Hope you like it :)
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
> ___________________
> http://www.adrian-lienhard.ch/

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] DTrace for Squeak/Pharo

Adrian Lienhard

Hi John,

DTrace on my unix VM thinks it does not know ioShowDisplayOnWindow (I guess because I use X11 display). With a Mac VM I it works. To trace ioShowDisplayOnWindow you don't need a dedicated probe (and hence no specialized VM). The DTrace "pid" provider allows you to trace any function entry (and return):

pid$target::ioShowDisplayOnWindow:entry
{
    printf("%s'%s\n", probemod, probefunc);
}