[ANN] Free Seaside-Hosting online

Adrian Lienhard
Hi all,

netstyle.ch and ESUG are pleased to finally announce the new Seaside
hosting service located at

        <http://www.seasidehosting.st/>
Seaside-Hosting is a free hosting service for non-commercial Seaside
applications. This service provides a simple to use web interface
with FTP access to set up and run your Seaside applications. It
allows you to put your own application online within minutes. The
service is a Seaside application and is itself running on Seaside-
Hosting too.

Seaside-Hosting currently offers 128 MB of file-space for saving the
Squeak web-application image and static files, e.g., pictures or
style sheets which you want to use as part of your application.

For general discussion we propose to use the Seaside mailing list.
For specific questions or problems please contact us directly at
<[hidden email]>.

Enjoy,
Adrian
___________________
Adrian Lienhard
netstyle.ch GmbH, Terrassenweg 18, CH-3012 Bern
T +41 31 356 42 56, F +41 31 356 42 57
http://www.netstyle.ch  mailto:[hidden email]

Re: [ANN] Free Seaside-Hosting online

garduino
Hi Adrian:

I've registered an account and uploaded an image without problems.
Thanks by this possibility to try for free seaside applications!.

A question that I've:

My application start usually in port 10000, by example:

http://www.arsol.net:10000/seaside/Promoter but in your hosting

"automagically" start as http://gsa.seasidehosting.st/Promoter (after
that, inside the app, the url become as:
http://gsa.seasidehosting.st/seaside/Promoter).

How is achieved this behavior (The no need to state the port number
nor the "/seaside" part of the url)?

Thanks again by this free service!

gsa.

--
Germán S. Arduino
http://www.arsol.biz
http://www.arsol.net

Re: [ANN] Free Seaside-Hosting online

Lukas Renggli
Hi Arduino,

> I've registered an account and uploaded an image without problems.
> Thanks by this possibility to try for free seaside applications!.

thanks for the feedback.

> My application start usually in port 10000, by example:
>
> http://www.arsol.net:10000/seaside/Promoter but in your hosting
>
> "automagically" start as http://gsa.seasidehosting.st/Promoter (after
> that, inside the app, the url become as:
> http://gsa.seasidehosting.st/seaside/Promoter).
>
> How is achieved this behavior (The no need to state the port number
> nor the "/seaside" part of the url)?

All the hosted applications run on the same machine, therefor we have
to take care of the ports. When starting an image we pass it a
startup-script to ensure it listens on the right port. Apache takes
care to forward the request from the virtual-host to the right Squeak
image. You can find some tips and tricks about configuring the
access-paths in the FAQ.

Have fun,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [ANN] Free Seaside-Hosting online

garduino
Hi Lukas

> All the hosted applications run on the same machine, therefor we have
> to take care of the ports. When starting an image we pass it a
> startup-script to ensure it listens on the right port. Apache takes
> care to forward the request from the virtual-host to the right Squeak
> image. You can find some tips and tricks about configuring the
> access-paths in the FAQ.
>
> Have fun,
> Lukas

Thanks by the explanation.

Besides the FAQ, some another site were read about Apache/Seaside integration?

Thanks.
Germán.

Re: [ANN] Free Seaside-Hosting online

stéphane ducasse-2
Hi Adrian

As the president of ESUG, I'm really happy that you made it!
Excellent! No other words to say

Stef

> Hi all,
>
> netstyle.ch and ESUG are pleased to finally announce the new
> Seaside hosting service located at
>
> <http://www.seasidehosting.st/>
> Seaside-Hosting is a free hosting service for non-commercial
> Seaside applications. This service provides a simple to use web
> interface with FTP access to set up and run your Seaside
> applications. It allows you to put your own application online
> within minutes. The service is a Seaside application and is itself
> running on Seaside-Hosting too.
>
> Seaside-Hosting currently offers 128 MB of file-space for saving
> the Squeak web-application image and static files, e.g., pictures
> or style sheets which you want to use as part of your application.
>
> For general discussion we propose to use the Seaside mailing list.
> For specific questions or problems please contact us directly at
> <[hidden email]>.
>
> Enjoy,
> Adrian
> ___________________
> Adrian Lienhard
> netstyle.ch GmbH, Terrassenweg 18, CH-3012 Bern
> T +41 31 356 42 56, F +41 31 356 42 57
> http://www.netstyle.ch  mailto:[hidden email]

Re: [ANN] Free Seaside-Hosting online

Yanni Chiu
Adrian Lienhard wrote:
> Seaside-Hosting currently offers 128 MB of file-space for saving the
> Squeak web-application image and static files, e.g., pictures or  style
> sheets which you want to use as part of your application.

Great job guys. Getting a Seaside image running was so simple - it just
needed to be uploaded and started. The real work for me was in preparing
the image (since I had to replace my PostgreSQL usage with something else).

Can you describe the hardware that's running the service.
Things like RAM, network connection, etc., to give a reference
point for comparing.

--
Yanni Chiu

Re: [ANN] Free Seaside-Hosting online

Lukas Renggli
> Can you describe the hardware that's running the service.
> Things like RAM, network connection, etc., to give a reference
> point for comparing.

Seaside-Hosting is running on a IBM BladeCenter HS20 2 x 3.0 GHz XEON
4 GB RAM HW RAID 2. I am not quite sure about the network connection,
but it is something like 4 MB/s.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
netstyle.ch GmbH, Terrassenweg 18, CH-3012 Bern
http://www.netstyle.ch  mailto:[hidden email]

Re: [ANN] Free Seaside-Hosting online

Avi  Bryant

On Feb 22, 2006, at 12:05 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> netstyle.ch and ESUG are pleased to finally announce the new
> Seaside hosting service located at
>
> <http://www.seasidehosting.st/>
> Seaside-Hosting is a free hosting service for non-commercial
> Seaside applications. This service provides a simple to use web
> interface with FTP access to set up and run your Seaside
> applications. It allows you to put your own application online
> within minutes. The service is a Seaside application and is itself
> running on Seaside-Hosting too.
>
> Seaside-Hosting currently offers 128 MB of file-space for saving
> the Squeak web-application image and static files, e.g., pictures
> or style sheets which you want to use as part of your application.
>
> For general discussion we propose to use the Seaside mailing list.
> For specific questions or problems please contact us directly at
> <[hidden email]>.

Well done!  This is a great initiative, and it's very cool to see it
come to fruition.

Have you put a link to it on the main seaside.st site yet?

Avi

Re: [ANN] Free Seaside-Hosting online

Jason Rogers-4
MOST EXCELLENT!! Thanks to everyone who had a part in making this available!

On 2/22/06, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> netstyle.ch and ESUG are pleased to finally announce the new Seaside
> hosting service located at
>
>         <http://www.seasidehosting.st/>
> Seaside-Hosting is a free hosting service for non-commercial Seaside
> applications. This service provides a simple to use web interface
> with FTP access to set up and run your Seaside applications. It
> allows you to put your own application online within minutes. The
> service is a Seaside application and is itself running on Seaside-
> Hosting too.
>
> Seaside-Hosting currently offers 128 MB of file-space for saving the
> Squeak web-application image and static files, e.g., pictures or
> style sheets which you want to use as part of your application.
>
> For general discussion we propose to use the Seaside mailing list.
> For specific questions or problems please contact us directly at
> <[hidden email]>.
>
> Enjoy,
> Adrian
> Adrian Lienhard
> netstyle.ch GmbH, Terrassenweg 18, CH-3012 Bern
> T +41 31 356 42 56, F +41 31 356 42 57
> http://www.netstyle.ch  mailto:[hidden email]

--
Jason Rogers

"Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    Proverbs 29:18