[ANN] FreeType Plus release

123

Re: [ANN] FreeType Plus release

Andrew Tween
Hi Karl,
<snip>
> I get just a transparent window frame for the image when I install the
> plugins on Win XP.
> The BitBltPlugin.dll seems to be the culprit.
> VM version: 3.7.1

You need to use the latest Win32 VM - 3.9.2

Cheers,
Andy

Re: [ANN] FreeType Plus release

Andrew Tween
Hi Damien,

Re: [ANN] FreeType Plus release

Giuseppe Luigi Punzi-2
I installed it on my MacBook, but I can't see any difference.

How to active it?

Cheers.

El 29/04/2007, a las 1:15, Damien Pollet escribió:

> On 29/04/07, Simon Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Wow.
>
> +1 on MacOS X
>
> Now we need an OBFontBrowser :)
>
> --
> Damien Pollet
> type less, do more [ | ] http://typo.cdlm.fasmz.org

Re: [ANN] FreeType Plus release

Andrew Tween
Hi Giuseppe,

Re: [ANN] FreeType Plus release

Giuseppe Luigi Punzi-2
Uhmm, I get 2.2.1. but I don't see more fonts.

Probably I need glasses.

El 30/04/2007, a las 17:11, Andrew Tween escribió:

> Hi Giuseppe,

ok.

Try evaluating ...
    TextConstants keys asSortedCollection
you should see lots of font names that you recognize.

The Mac OS X font paths are currently hardcoded as
    '/System/Library/Fonts'
    '/Library/Fonts'
Check those locations on your disk, to make sure that they exist, and contain
some fonts.

Also, to see which font files have been found on your system, evaluate this...
    FreeTypeFontProvider current instVarNamed: 'fileInfos'
you should get a set of file paths, together with the name and style of the font
contained in each.

Cheers,
Andy

On 30/04/07, Andrew Tween <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do you see any new fonts when you set, for example, the List font from the
> World, Appearance, System fonts... menu?

Speaking of which, I do see more fonts but not all those I have
installed. I didn't check but probably the plugin doesn't look in all
paths, or it only detects TTF fonts and not Type 1 or OpenType ones ?

I'm on Mac and the plugin does work most of the time, I get very nice
font display, except I think when the changed BitBlt is needed (with
colored fonts probably) and the text morph becomes a big red rectangle
:)

Also the contents of the menu are not always the same, not in the same
order, or paginated differently (in the appearance > system fonts
menus).

Finally the point sizes are not consistent with the ones in Cocoa
apps. An 8pt font in Squeak looks like its 10pt version in Cocoa.

--
Damien Pollet
type less, do more [ | ] http://typo.cdlm.fasmz.org

Re: [ANN] FreeType Plus release

Andrew Tween
HI Damien,
> On 30/04/07, Andrew Tween <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Do you see any new fonts when you set, for example, the List font from the
> > World, Appearance, System fonts... menu?
>
> Speaking of which, I do see more fonts but not all those I have
> installed. I didn't check but probably the plugin doesn't look in all
> paths, or it only detects TTF fonts and not Type 1 or OpenType ones ?

Can you give an example of a font that is missing?
If you could send the font file to me privately, that would be great.

> I'm on Mac and the plugin does work most of the time, I get very nice
> font display, except I think when the changed BitBlt is needed (with
> colored fonts probably) and the text morph becomes a big red rectangle
> :)

It should work ok without the BitBltPlugin. There is a bug somewhere there. Do
you get a debugger at all? I am wondering what the error is that has caused the
TextMorph to stop drawing.

> Also the contents of the menu are not always the same, not in the same
> order, or paginated differently (in the appearance > system fonts
> menus).

They should be in alphabetical order.
And when you change a system font it should show you the currently selected font
in blue. So it will 'jump' to the page that contains that font.
If you are seeing something different, then a screenshot would be helpful.
Thanks.

> Finally the point sizes are not consistent with the ones in Cocoa
> apps. An 8pt font in Squeak looks like its 10pt version in Cocoa.

I believe that Mac uses 72 dpi, whereas the default in Squeak is 96dpi.
Try changing Squeak's setting to 72 and see if the font sizes then match.
You can do this by evaluating...
    TextStyle pixelsPerInch: 72.0

Cheers,
Andy

Re: [ANN] FreeType Plus release

johnmci
Ok, based on this change set I built a BitBltPlugin for Mac Carbon VMs.

Find it via my idisk or FTP.

http://www.smallltalkconsulting.com/squeak.html

in the experimental folder

BitBltPlugin.v1.0.0b1.FreeTypePlus.bundle.zip

I know it gets loaded, but I don't know if it works since I'm not
sure what I'm looking to test for.
However I suspect some eager  macintosh users will give me feeback
before lunch today.

To install, unzip and put the *.bundle in the Resources beside the
FT2Plugin

About the FT2PLugin.bundle.  Macintosh users should ensure they have
the 2.2.2c51 or later FT2Plugin.
2.2.2 resolves some crash issues that are in the 2.2.1 freetype code,
and loads all the freetype fonts on your macintosh, 2.2.1 did not.
2.2.2 is found in VMs I think at 3.8.16 or higher.   Also found on my
idisk in the Sophie Folder

On Apr 30, 2007, at 7:38 AM, Andrew Tween wrote:

> Hi Damien,

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

Re: [ANN] FreeType Plus release

Andrew Tween
Hi John,
> Ok, based on this change set I built a BitBltPlugin for Mac Carbon VMs.
>
> Find it via my idisk or FTP.
>
> http://www.smallltalkconsulting.com/squeak.html
>
> in the experimental folder
>
> BitBltPlugin.v1.0.0b1.FreeTypePlus.bundle.zip

Thanks for doing this.

> I know it gets loaded, but I don't know if it works since I'm not
> sure what I'm looking to test for.
> However I suspect some eager  macintosh users will give me feeback
> before lunch today.

For those who wish to check that it is working ok...

A quick check is to evaluate...
    FreeTypeSettings current clearBitBltSubPixelAvailable;
bitBltSubPixelAvailable
.it should answer true.

Another check is to change the FreeType GlyphContrast Preference to 99.
If all the glyphs go much darker, then the plugin is applying the contrast
setting correctly.
(set it back to the default of 50 when you are done)

The last check is to install the FreeType Plus (sub-pixel anti-aliasing) package
from SqueakMap.
Then use a magnifier morph to magnify some text;  the glyphs should have colour
fringes around them.

Cheers,
Andy

On 30/04/07, John M McIntosh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> However I suspect some eager  macintosh users will give me feeback
> before lunch today.

Yup it works here :)

--
Damien Pollet
type less, do more [ | ] http://typo.cdlm.fasmz.org

Re: [ANN] FreeType Plus release

Damien Pollet
On 30/04/07, Andrew Tween <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can you give an example of a font that is missing?
> If you could send the font file to me privately, that would be great.

It looks like it only sees fonts from /Library/Fonts (the machine-wide
font directory) and not fonts I installed just for me in
$HOME/Library/Fonts (I know, I know, I'm the only user on this machine
:D )

It seems it doesn't like PS type1 and OpenType fonts. Maybe this is a
limitation of freetype ? For instance, Audimat, freely available at
http://www.smeltery.net/ (sorry, crappy site, no direct URL)

> It should work ok without the BitBltPlugin. There is a bug somewhere there. Do
> you get a debugger at all? I am wondering what the error is that has caused the
> TextMorph to stop drawing.

The primitive fails in #copyBitsColor:alpha:gammaTable:ungammaTable:
        <primitive: 'primitiveCopyBits' module: 'BitBltPlugin'>
Debug log attached.

> > Also the contents of the menu are not always the same, not in the same
> > order, or paginated differently (in the appearance > system fonts
> > menus).
>
> They should be in alphabetical order.
> And when you change a system font it should show you the currently selected font
> in blue. So it will 'jump' to the page that contains that font.
> If you are seeing something different, then a screenshot would be helpful.

OK, it does all this, but it puts the selected font on top of the
page, so the page jumps appear at different places depending on which
font is selected.

> Try changing Squeak's setting to 72 and see if the font sizes then match.
> You can do this by evaluating...
>     TextStyle pixelsPerInch: 72.0

Thanks!

SqueakDebug.log (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] FreeType Plus release

Damien Pollet
On 30/04/07, Andrew Tween <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A quick check is to evaluate...
>     FreeTypeSettings current clearBitBltSubPixelAvailable;
> bitBltSubPixelAvailable
> .it should answer true.

It does.

> Another check is to change the FreeType GlyphContrast Preference to 99.
> If all the glyphs go much darker

They do.

> Then use a magnifier morph to magnify some text;  the glyphs should have colour
> fringes around them.

They do too.
Can we have a universe package for this?

hmmm.

*runs around*    WHEEEE NICE FONTS RULE!!!!
--
Damien Pollet
type less, do more [ | ] http://typo.cdlm.fasmz.org

Re: [ANN] FreeType Plus release

Andrew Tween
Hi Damien,
> On 30/04/07, Andrew Tween <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Can you give an example of a font that is missing?
> > If you could send the font file to me privately, that would be great.
>
> It looks like it only sees fonts from /Library/Fonts (the machine-wide
> font directory) and not fonts I installed just for me in
> $HOME/Library/Fonts (I know, I know, I'm the only user on this machine
> :D )

Yes. The user fonts folder is excluded. (This will require some FFI calls, or a
plugin function, to get the user fonts location from the OS). If you want to get
access to these fonts, you could edit
FreeTypeFontProvider>>getMacOSXFontFolderPaths so that it includes your user
fonts path, then save, exit, and restart the image.

> It seems it doesn't like PS type1 and OpenType fonts. Maybe this is a
> limitation of freetype ? For instance, Audimat, freely available at
> http://www.smeltery.net/ (sorry, crappy site, no direct URL)

The AUdimat otf fonts load ok on Windows.
Did you see John's comment about using the 2.2.2c51 or later FT2Plugin?
I wonder if that will solve the problem.

> > It should work ok without the BitBltPlugin. There is a bug somewhere there.
Do
> > you get a debugger at all? I am wondering what the error is that has caused
the
> > TextMorph to stop drawing.
>
> The primitive fails in #copyBitsColor:alpha:gammaTable:ungammaTable:
> <primitive: 'primitiveCopyBits' module: 'BitBltPlugin'>
> Debug log attached.

Thanks. The log shows that it is failing with a zero width sourceForm....
     Receiver's instance variables:
          destForm:  DisplayScreen(1021x745x32)
          sourceForm:  Form(0x1x32)
This is when drawing the strikethrough line. So it should be easy to fix.

> > > Also the contents of the menu are not always the same, not in the same
> > > order, or paginated differently (in the appearance > system fonts
> > > menus).
> >
> > They should be in alphabetical order.
> > And when you change a system font it should show you the currently selected
font
> > in blue. So it will 'jump' to the page that contains that font.
> > If you are seeing something different, then a screenshot would be helpful.
>
> OK, it does all this, but it puts the selected font on top of the
> page, so the page jumps appear at different places depending on which
> font is selected.

Yes. It's pretty horrid :)
All the menus really need re-working to provide nice scrolling lists.

Cheers,
Andy

Re: [ANN] FreeType Plus release

johnmci
In all of this I'm not sure if people noticed another important
change we made in Sophie.

That was changing emphasis from a magic number to an object.

Then you could ask

isBold
        ^self emphasis includesEmphasis: SophieFontEmphasisEncoder bold

The reason for this was to handle things like 'Light' ,Condensed,
Medium, Demibold, or ExtraBold
Also to get rid of magic numbers, which btw were not say in a 3.8
image actually correctly handled in *all*
the places where code was looking for magic emphasis numbering.

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

Re: [ANN] FreeType Plus release

Damien Pollet
On 30/04/07, Andrew Tween <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Did you see John's comment about using the 2.2.2c51 or later FT2Plugin?
> I wonder if that will solve the problem.

I have John's latest (3.8.17b4) VM with this version of ft2 I think

> This is when drawing the strikethrough line. So it should be easy to fix.

cool :)

> All the menus really need re-working to provide nice scrolling lists.

Hmm, I'd say "to not need to scroll nor page in the first place" :)

--
Damien Pollet
type less, do more [ | ] http://typo.cdlm.fasmz.org

Re: [ANN] FreeType Plus release

Andrew Tween
Hi John,
> In all of this I'm not sure if people noticed another important
> change we made in Sophie.
>
> That was changing emphasis from a magic number to an object.

Yes, I noticed that. And I remember you mentioning it to me in the past.
It is a good idea.
I have stuck with the existing magic number scheme mainly because the thought of
identifying, and changing, all the existing places where these magic numbers are
used seemed quite daunting.

> Then you could ask
>
> isBold
> ^self emphasis includesEmphasis: SophieFontEmphasisEncoder bold
>

> The reason for this was to handle things like 'Light' ,Condensed,
> Medium, Demibold, or ExtraBold
> Also to get rid of magic numbers, which btw were not say in a 3.8
> image actually correctly handled in *all*
> the places where code was looking for magic emphasis numbering.

This is good for font substitution and document portability.
Currently, I simply treat these 'unusual' weights as being distinct font
families, and don't do anything clever about matching missing fonts to the best
available substitute.

(On a similar theme, there was a very interesting article mentioned on a
FreeType newsgroup about how font names, families, and groupings are determined
on Windows. I don't know if you have come across it before, but you might find
it interesting...
 http://blogs.msdn.com/text/archive/2007/04/23/wpf-font-selection-model.aspx
)

Cheers,
Andy

Re: [ANN] FreeType Plus release

Andrew Tween
HI Damien,
> On 30/04/07, Andrew Tween <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Did you see John's comment about using the 2.2.2c51 or later FT2Plugin?
> > I wonder if that will solve the problem.
>
> I have John's latest (3.8.17b4) VM with this version of ft2 I think

ok. I'll try with the same font on Linux, and see what happens there.

> > This is when drawing the strikethrough line. So it should be easy to fix.
>
> cool :)
>
> > All the menus really need re-working to provide nice scrolling lists.
>
> Hmm, I'd say "to not need to scroll nor page in the first place" :)

:)
Do you have any ideas on how that could be done?
If, for instance, you had 999 fonts?

A fisheye, everything tiny, until you hover over it view?
Or typing the font name to bring up matches?

I'm curious.
Cheers,
Andy

On Apr 30, 2007, at 3:11 PM, Andrew Tween wrote:

>> In all of this I'm not sure if people noticed another important
>> change we made in Sophie.
>>
>> That was changing emphasis from a magic number to an object.
>
> Yes, I noticed that. And I remember you mentioning it to me in the
> past.
> It is a good idea.
> I have stuck with the existing magic number scheme mainly because
> the thought of
> identifying, and changing, all the existing places where these
> magic numbers are
> used seemed quite daunting.

I recall (it was years ago now) we altered things so that if you
asked for the magic emphasis number you
would get a number back for backwards compatibility which was
calculated from the font's emphasis object,
otherwise all the Sophie code worked with another accessor that gave
back the emphasis object to work with.

For a year or so we ran with an assert to ensure no over eager
developer stuffed a magic emphasis number into the emphasis object slot.

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

Re: [ANN] FreeType Plus release

Brad Fuller-3
Andrew Tween wrote:

>>> All the menus really need re-working to provide nice scrolling lists.
>>>
>> Hmm, I'd say "to not need to scroll nor page in the first place" :)
>>
> :)
> Do you have any ideas on how that could be done?
> If, for instance, you had 999 fonts?
>
> A fisheye, everything tiny, until you hover over it view?
> Or typing the font name to bring up matches?
>
> I'm curious

Could use cascading menus. based on mfr, or type/kind, or even alphabetical

123