[ANN] GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2007

12

[ANN] GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2007

Dale
Come to the GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions in room 201B from 5:30
until 7:00 on Monday Apr 30th.

You can meet the GemStone/S team, learn what's new in GS/S-64 2.2,
discuss the GemStone port of Seaside and Monticello, and witness the
unveiling of an edition of GemStone/S that's free -- even for commercial
use. (If you can't attend, you can watch for the announcement in your
inbox.)

If you're in the Toronto area, you're welcome to drop in even if you're
not attending the conference.

Dale

Re: [ANN] GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2007

Philippe Marschall
Damn I wish I was there. I hope you'll be at ESUG.

Cheers
Philippe

2007/4/28, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>:

> Come to the GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions in room 201B from 5:30
> until 7:00 on Monday Apr 30th.
>
> You can meet the GemStone/S team, learn what's new in GS/S-64 2.2,
> discuss the GemStone port of Seaside and Monticello, and witness the
> unveiling of an edition of GemStone/S that's free -- even for commercial
> use. (If you can't attend, you can watch for the announcement in your
> inbox.)
>
> If you're in the Toronto area, you're welcome to drop in even if you're
> not attending the conference.
>
> Dale

RE: [ANN] GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2007

Sebastian Sastre-2

I haven't the chance right now but I'm interested to know more about this.
Perhaps a video that could be later uploaded in Google video or youtube will
help the idea to reach who can't be there?

Cheers,

Sebastian

Re: [ANN] GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2007

Dale
Philippe,

In past years we've had at least one person attend ESUG, so I assume
that will be the case again this year.

Dale

Philippe Marschall wrote:

> Damn I wish I was there. I hope you'll be at ESUG.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe
>
> 2007/4/28, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Come to the GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions in room 201B from 5:30
>> until 7:00 on Monday Apr 30th.
>>
>> You can meet the GemStone/S team, learn what's new in GS/S-64 2.2,
>> discuss the GemStone port of Seaside and Monticello, and witness the
>> unveiling of an edition of GemStone/S that's free -- even for commercial
>> use. (If you can't attend, you can watch for the announcement in your
>> inbox.)
>>
>> If you're in the Toronto area, you're welcome to drop in even if you're
>> not attending the conference.
>>
>> Dale

Re: [ANN] GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2007

Nevin Pratt
OK, it's May 1st right now.  When do we hear more about this?  (for
those folks not in Toronto)

Nevin

> Come to the GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions in room 201B from 5:30
> until 7:00 on Monday Apr 30th.
>
> You can meet the GemStone/S team, learn what's new in GS/S-64 2.2,
> discuss the GemStone port of Seaside and Monticello, and witness the
> unveiling of an edition of GemStone/S that's free -- even for commercial
> use. (If you can't attend, you can watch for the announcement in your
> inbox.)
>
> If you're in the Toronto area, you're welcome to drop in even if you're
> not attending the conference.
>
> Dale

Re: [ANN] GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2007

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Re: [Seaside] [ANN] GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2007

GemStone 2.x free edition: 2gb ram limit, 4gb database size, 64 million objects, 2 gems max, no VW or VA connectivity - Squeak only, seaside and monticello built in, fastcgi support, database can be used as monticello repository, free sandbox website for those wanting to play with it hosted by GemStone, that's about it, but I'm sure GemStone will provide more details as well.

Cheers!

-Boris
(Sent from a BlackBerry)

OK, it's May 1st right now.  When do we hear more about this?  (for
those folks not in Toronto)

Nevin

> Come to the GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions in room 201B from 5:30
> until 7:00 on Monday Apr 30th.
>
> You can meet the GemStone/S team, learn what's new in GS/S-64 2.2,
> discuss the GemStone port of Seaside and Monticello, and witness the
> unveiling of an edition of GemStone/S that's free -- even for commercial
> use. (If you can't attend, you can watch for the announcement in your
> inbox.)
>
> If you're in the Toronto area, you're welcome to drop in even if you're
> not attending the conference.
>
> Dale

RE: [ANN] GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2007

Ramon Leon-5
> GemStone 2.x free edition: 2gb ram limit, 4gb database size,
> 64 million objects, 2 gems max, no VW or VA connectivity -
> Squeak only, seaside and monticello built in, fastcgi
> support, database can be used as monticello repository, free
> sandbox website for those wanting to play with it hosted by
> GemStone, that's about it, but I'm sure GemStone will provide
> more details as well.
>
> Cheers!
>
> -Boris
> (Sent from a BlackBerry)

Right on, Seaside just got really really really cool!  Now just tell me
where to get it!

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: [ANN] GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2007

Philippe Marschall
Woot!

Boris Popov wrote:
Re: [Seaside] [ANN] GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2007

GemStone 2.x free edition: 2gb ram limit, 4gb database size, 64 million objects, 2 gems max, no VW or VA connectivity - Squeak only, seaside and monticello built in, fastcgi support, database can be used as monticello repository, free sandbox website for those wanting to play with it hosted by GemStone, that's about it, but I'm sure GemStone will provide more details as well.

Cheers!

-Boris

GemStone 2.x?  That was released in, what, 1987? or 1986?

I think GemStone 4.x was out in the early 90's.

Are you sure you got that product rev number right?  Those stats seem reminiscent of 4.x (but naturally without VW or VA GemBuilder).

Why would they do a new Squeak GemBuilder for such an old product? (even if it's a stripped down GemBuilder, which I'm sure it is).

Also, a few years ago I had to resurrect a GemStone 4.x system for a consulting gig.  It wouldn't even run under Win XP without a lot of hoops being jumped through.  One such hoop, if I recall, was the inability to work with the filesystem.

And, I don't think Linux was even a gleam in anybody's eye for GemStone 2.x.

Maybe I'll await further details, as I'm sure I'm missing something here.

Nevin

Re: [ANN] GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2007

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Re: [Seaside] [ANN] GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2007

I will let you know when I find out myself, I should mention that this version of GemStone is 64 bit only and they have no plans to add continuations to 32 bit version from what I can tell. That also means no running this on windows at the moment, hence the free sandbox provided by GemStone. Check out seaside.GemStone.com too while you're at it ;)

Cheers!

-Boris
(Sent from a BlackBerry)

> GemStone 2.x free edition: 2gb ram limit, 4gb database size,
> 64 million objects, 2 gems max, no VW or VA connectivity -
> Squeak only, seaside and monticello built in, fastcgi
> support, database can be used as monticello repository, free
> sandbox website for those wanting to play with it hosted by
> GemStone, that's about it, but I'm sure GemStone will provide
> more details as well.
>
> Cheers!
>
> -Boris
> (Sent from a BlackBerry)

Right on, Seaside just got really really really cool!  Now just tell me
where to get it!

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: [ANN] GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2007

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Re: [Seaside] [ANN] GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2007

Yes, that's because its GemStone 64 bit version, not 32 bit one. Latest and greatest as they say, not to worry :)

Cheers!

-Boris
(Sent from a BlackBerry)

Re: [ANN] GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2007

Philippe Marschall
2007/5/1, Boris Popov <[hidden email]>:

> I will let you know when I find out myself, I should mention that this
> version of GemStone is 64 bit only and they have no plans to add
> continuations to 32 bit version from what I can tell. That also means no
> running this on windows at the moment, hence the free sandbox provided by
> GemStone. Check out seaside.GemStone.com too while you're at it ;)

Error 500 for both all tests and Sushi Store :(
http://www.squeaksource.com/GemStone.html

>  Cheers!
>
>  -Boris
>  (Sent from a BlackBerry)

Just talked to them about it, but they don't have access from here to fix it, hang tight, althouth I suspect its a sushi store and all tests that come with 2.6.x,

Cheers!

-Boris
(Sent from a BlackBerry)

http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: [ANN] GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2007

Philippe Marschall
Murphy strikes again!

2007/5/1, Boris Popov <[hidden email]>:

> Just talked to them about it, but they don't have access from here to fix
> it, hang tight, althouth I suspect its a sushi store and all tests that come
> with 2.6.x,
>
>  Cheers!
>
>  -Boris
>  (Sent from a BlackBerry)

jgfoster
One slight correction: The RAM limit is 1-GB for the shared page cache.

The goal here is to match Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, and other
database vendors that have chosen 1-CPU, 1-GB RAM, and 4-GB disk as the
limits for their free editions. (Note that these limits are what the
database will use, not a minimum or maximum for your hardware). The
goal here is to provide something that is much more than a toy, but
will eventually move some users to a paid license if they need more
resources.

As noted by others, the product is "GemStone/S 64 Bit version 2.2",
which is distinct from the 32-bit product (currently on version 6.1.x).
Version 2.2.0 of the 64-bit product is where most of the recent
engineering work has been done (including continuations) and it shipped
to existing customers last week. The 64-bit product runs only on
Unix/Linux (the free edition is limited to Linux). The free edition
delivers the same executables, but because of the license limitations
some features will be less evident (such as multi-threading on a single
CPU).

It is very unlikely that the Seaside functionality will be ported back
to the 32-bit product. Those that do not have a 64-bit Linux machine
(yet!) will be encouraged to play in the hosted sandbox. In addition,
there are no plans to port the 64-bit product to Microsoft Windows.
Windows users are encouraged to investigate some sort of virtualization
to run Linux on their Windows machine.

The announced "general availability" for the free version is for Q3, but
those interested in a beta version should write to [hidden email].
Much of what remains to be done is logistics surrounding download,
license key generation, and additional functionality of the
Squeak-based tools and interface.

James Foster
QA Lead
GemStone Systems, Inc.

Thanks for quick correction James,

Cheers!

-Boris
(Sent from a BlackBerry)

One slight correction: The RAM limit is 1-GB for the shared page cache.

The goal here is to match Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, and other
database vendors that have chosen 1-CPU, 1-GB RAM, and 4-GB disk as the
limits for their free editions. (Note that these limits are what the
database will use, not a minimum or maximum for your hardware). The
goal here is to provide something that is much more than a toy, but
will eventually move some users to a paid license if they need more
resources.

As noted by others, the product is "GemStone/S 64 Bit version 2.2",
which is distinct from the 32-bit product (currently on version 6.1.x).
Version 2.2.0 of the 64-bit product is where most of the recent
engineering work has been done (including continuations) and it shipped
to existing customers last week. The 64-bit product runs only on
Unix/Linux (the free edition is limited to Linux). The free edition
delivers the same executables, but because of the license limitations
some features will be less evident (such as multi-threading on a single
CPU).

It is very unlikely that the Seaside functionality will be ported back
to the 32-bit product. Those that do not have a 64-bit Linux machine
(yet!) will be encouraged to play in the hosted sandbox. In addition,
there are no plans to port the 64-bit product to Microsoft Windows.
Windows users are encouraged to investigate some sort of virtualization
to run Linux on their Windows machine.

The announced "general availability" for the free version is for Q3, but
those interested in a beta version should write to [hidden email].
Much of what remains to be done is logistics surrounding download,
license key generation, and additional functionality of the
Squeak-based tools and interface.

James Foster
QA Lead
GemStone Systems, Inc.

Yes, we are having some difficulties with the site... The immediate
cause of Monday night's crash was that we left the "debug" button on
the error test page (which someone tried!) so the Smalltalk server was
sitting in a debugger. Getting developer access to the image is
complicated by the fact that it can only be accessed from machines
inside the company firewall and we are in Toronto. We should have
things ironed out over the next few days. Thanks for your patience and
interest.

James Foster

Monty Williams
Re: [Seaside] [ANN] GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2007

Here's the announcement made at the GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2007. I added GemStone specific terminology in parentheses to make it clearer to those of you already using GemStone. It was a great BOF, wish you all could have been there.

-- Monty

Seaside under GLASS

Introducing a powerful new way to deploy desktop-like web applications -- GLASS: GemStone, Linux, Apache, Seaside, Smalltalk.

You may already be familiar with the advantages Seaside has over Ruby on Rails. But you may be concerned that Seaside lacks native persistence or won't scale.

By running your Seaside application in GemStone, you'll gain a Smalltalk based Application Server and OODB that:

  • Provides fully transparent persistence that doesn't require Object-Relational Mapping

  • Scales to over a hundred billion objects and thousands of simultaneous connections

  • Supports fully ACID transactions to handle concurrency conflicts

  • Handles up to 150 HTTP requests per second

  • Directly loads Monticello packages into a GemStone VM

GemStone/S is proven technology currently deployed in numerous global 2000 companies in the financial, container shipping, manufacturing, and utilities sectors.

Here is a comparison of several 64-bit editions of GemStone/S that will be available in Q3 of 2007:

GemStone/S Web Edition

GemStone/S LE

GemStone/S

Price

Free!

$7000/year

Call

Number of objects

64 million

256 million

138 billion

CPUs Used

1

2

unlimited

Max RAM
(
Shared Page Cache Size)

1 GB

2 GB

32768 GB

Max Disk (Repository Size)

4 GB

64 GB

8192 TeraBytes

Max Server Processes (Concurrent Sessions)

2

10

10,000

Clustered Servers
(
Remote Gems)

no

no

yes

Linux

yes

yes

yes

Solaris, AIX, HP-UX

no

no

yes

VisualWorks Clients

no

yes

yes

VA Smalltalk Clients

no

yes

yes

Web Clients

yes

yes

yes

Squeak Tools

yes

yes

yes

Support

Community

20 hours/year

Std 9x5 or or 24x7

Re: [ANN] GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2007

Avi Bryant-2
Can you clarify the Max Server Processes limitation?  Is this about
how many Smalltalk clients can connect to the server, or does it also
apply to web clients?

Avi

On 5/1/07, Monty Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>

> VisualWorks Clients
>
> no
>
> yes
>
> yes
>

> VA Smalltalk Clients
>
> no
>
> yes
>
> yes
>

> Web Clients
>
> yes
>
> yes
>
> yes
>

> Squeak Tools
>
> yes
>
> yes
>
> yes
>

> Support
>
> Community
>
> 20 hours/year
>
> Std 9x5 or or 24x7
>

> Other configurations between GemStone/S LE and the full version of
> GemStone/S are available through subscription or perpetual licenses. Contact

12