[ANN] High-Level Musical Concepts in µO

Stéphane Rollandin
Hello,

I just uploaded a paper about composing music in Squeak with µO:
http://www.zogotounga.net/surmulot/High-level%20Musical%20Concepts%20in%20muO.pdf

It is in sync with the latest version of µO, available at
http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/sqgeo.htm

The paper is a draft; feedback is welcome...

Re: [ANN] High-Level Musical Concepts in µO

Udo Schneider
On 10.05.13 21:29, Stéphane Rollandin wrote:
> The paper is a draft; feedback is welcome...
The link in footnote 9 seems to be broken.

Best Regards,

Udo

Re: [ANN] High-Level Musical Concepts in µO

Karl Ramberg

I read through the paper and is really  impressed by what you have accomplished.

Karl

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 9:29 PM, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I just uploaded a paper about composing music in Squeak with 焜:
http://www.zogotounga.net/surmulot/High-level%20Musical%20Concepts%20in%20muO.pdf

It is in sync with the latest version of 焜, available at
http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/sqgeo.htm

The paper is a draft; feedback is welcome...

Re: [ANN] High-Level Musical Concepts in µO

Maurizio Boriani
On Fri, 2013-05-10 at 21:29 +0200, Stéphane Rollandin wrote:
> Hello,

[...]

> The paper is a draft; feedback is welcome...

really impressive work! I'll have a look to it, to teach music to mi
child

thanks!

bye

Re: [ANN] High-Level Musical Concepts in µO

Bert Freudenberg
On 2013-05-10, at 21:29, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just uploaded a paper about composing music in Squeak with µO:
> http://www.zogotounga.net/surmulot/High-level%20Musical%20Concepts%20in%20muO.pdf
>
> It is in sync with the latest version of µO, available at
> http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/sqgeo.htm
>
> The paper is a draft; feedback is welcome...
>
> Stef

For someone who wants to follow along and try your code, is there a simple way to hear it?

- Bert -

Re: [ANN] High-Level Musical Concepts in µO

Stéphane Rollandin
> For someone who wants to follow along and try your code, is there a simple way to hear it?

If you install the latest muO (or download the muo286 image provided at
http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/sqgeo.htm) then the code from the
paper appears as a test case in

MuODocumentationTest>>#testPurdieVariation

You can copy/paste it in a workspace and work with it.

To hear the eventual phrase, do "phrase play". The default synthesizer
is the first MIDI out port listed by your system (on Windows it is the
Microsoft MIDI mapper), so you should get some sound.

If for some reason the default MIDI port does not work you can choose
another one via the "muO objects" menu (yellow click in the World) from
the "+synthesizers" -> "default synthesizer" -> "MIDI out port" submenu.

You can also use a Squeak synthesizer:

(SqueakSynthesizer new instrument: FMSound clarinet)
   playPhrase: phrase softer fermata

but here I have had to reduce both notes length and amplitudes in order
to get a clear sound, hence the "softer fermata" part.

Re: [ANN] High-Level Musical Concepts in µO

Casey Ransberger-2
Hi Stef,

This release, particularly when paired with the paper you wrote, is pretty phenomenal. I think that music is one of the best ways to teach and learn math, in that visceral way where one feels and cares about it. I think the work you've done has been instrumental in terms of the "curriculum of simulated systems" which is an important part of that Dynabook vision thing, or whatever shape it needs now.

Music education programs are getting cut like *crazy* around here right now. It's a travesty. The one form of math that everyone who can hear will feel viscerally, if they just pay attention to it, 86'd in favour of sports.

This is really cool, and as both a musician and a fan of music: thanks for getting it done.

Cheers!

Casey

P.S.

I loathe working digitally with music, and so this is about the highest praise you can get from me. I'm trying to convince my band to record to tape and then do only the mixdown digitally, I mean I'm a total musical luddite!

On 2013-05-14, at 13:44, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> For someone who wants to follow along and try your code, is there a simple way to hear it?
>
> If you install the latest muO (or download the muo286 image provided at http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/sqgeo.htm) then the code from the paper appears as a test case in
>
> MuODocumentationTest>>#testPurdieVariation
>
> You can copy/paste it in a workspace and work with it.
>
> To hear the eventual phrase, do "phrase play". The default synthesizer is the first MIDI out port listed by your system (on Windows it is the Microsoft MIDI mapper), so you should get some sound.

Works fine on my Mac. The default synthesizer is set to "QuickTime MIDI (out)".

Thank you!

- Bert -

> If for some reason the default MIDI port does not work you can choose another one via the "muO objects" menu (yellow click in the World) from the "+synthesizers" -> "default synthesizer" -> "MIDI out port" submenu.
>
> You can also use a Squeak synthesizer:
>
> (SqueakSynthesizer new instrument: FMSound clarinet)
>  playPhrase: phrase softer fermata
>
> but here I have had to reduce both notes length and amplitudes in order to get a clear sound, hence the "softer fermata" part.
>

> Stef

Re: [ANN] High-Level Musical Concepts in µO

John McKeon
Incredible stuff. Really well done

On Tuesday, May 14, 2013, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> For someone who wants to follow along and try your code, is there a simple way to hear it?
>
> If you install the latest muO (or download the muo286 image provided at http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/sqgeo.htm) then the code from the paper appears as a test case in
>
> MuODocumentationTest>>#testPurdieVariation

I copied/pasted the code from the web page doh! It was really painful but once in a workspace i added the variables as temps, selected the whole thing and inspected it. Then i typed "self play" in the inspector and voila! Music

Great work Stephane. Thanks!

John

--
jmck.seasidehosting.st