[ANN] Hydra VM: A multi-core capable Croquet VM

123

[ANN] Hydra VM: A multi-core capable Croquet VM

Andreas.Raab
Folks -

In its ongoing commitment to Open Source, Qwaq has decided to release
the first multi-core capable Croquet VM under the MIT license.

Hydra VM is a virtual machine capable of running multiple Croquet images
side-by-side, therefore being able to effectively utilize multi-core
CPUs. Hydra VM is still in an early phase of development, but given the
(very successful) early results, Qwaq has decided to make it available
to general public in the hope that other people will help Igor to make
further progress in developing Hydra VM.

The offical release is available here:

   http://www.qwaq.com/HydraVM

and contains the following files:

* HydraVM-bin.zip - A prebuilt Windows version of Hydra VM.
* HydraVM-src.zip - The (C) source tree for building Hydra VM.
* HydraVM-pkg.zip - The (Squeak) packages needed to build Hydra VM.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
   - Andreas (on behalf of Qwaq)

Re: [ANN] Hydra VM: A multi-core capable Croquet VM

Klaus D. Witzel
Thank you Andreas, Igor and Qwaq !

And now it's time to download a fresh Croquet .image and enjoy Hydra :)

/Klaus

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 07:18:03 +0100, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Folks -
>
> In its ongoing commitment to Open Source, Qwaq has decided to release
> the first multi-core capable Croquet VM under the MIT license.
>
> Hydra VM is a virtual machine capable of running multiple Croquet images
> side-by-side, therefore being able to effectively utilize multi-core
> CPUs. Hydra VM is still in an early phase of development, but given the
> (very successful) early results, Qwaq has decided to make it available
> to general public in the hope that other people will help Igor to make
> further progress in developing Hydra VM.
>
> The offical release is available here:
>
>    http://www.qwaq.com/HydraVM
>
> and contains the following files:
>
> * HydraVM-bin.zip - A prebuilt Windows version of Hydra VM.
> * HydraVM-src.zip - The (C) source tree for building Hydra VM.
> * HydraVM-pkg.zip - The (Squeak) packages needed to build Hydra VM.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas (on behalf of Qwaq)

Re: [ANN] Hydra VM: A multi-core capable Croquet VM

David T. Lewis
On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 10:18:03PM -0800, Andreas Raab wrote:
> Folks -
>
> In its ongoing commitment to Open Source, Qwaq has decided to release
> the first multi-core capable Croquet VM under the MIT license.

Excellent! Thank you very much.

Dave

[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Hydra VM: A multi-core capable Croquet VM

Hilaire Fernandes-4
Damned, so many thinks to play with!

I am still thinking about trying out Dr.Geo in a Croquet environment,
and even dreaming about a Dr.Geo 3D.

Thanks.

Hilaire

Le mercredi 20 février 2008 à 22:18 -0800, Andreas Raab a écrit :

> Folks -
>
> In its ongoing commitment to Open Source, Qwaq has decided to release
> the first multi-core capable Croquet VM under the MIT license.
>
> Hydra VM is a virtual machine capable of running multiple Croquet images
> side-by-side, therefore being able to effectively utilize multi-core
> CPUs. Hydra VM is still in an early phase of development, but given the
> (very successful) early results, Qwaq has decided to make it available
> to general public in the hope that other people will help Igor to make
> further progress in developing Hydra VM.
>
> The offical release is available here:
>
>    http://www.qwaq.com/HydraVM
>
> and contains the following files:
>
> * HydraVM-bin.zip - A prebuilt Windows version of Hydra VM.
> * HydraVM-src.zip - The (C) source tree for building Hydra VM.
> * HydraVM-pkg.zip - The (Squeak) packages needed to build Hydra VM.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas (on behalf of Qwaq)

[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Hydra VM: A multi-core capable Croquet VM

garduino
Thanks by share!

2008/2/21, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:

> Folks -
>
>  In its ongoing commitment to Open Source, Qwaq has decided to release
>  the first multi-core capable Croquet VM under the MIT license.
>
>  Hydra VM is a virtual machine capable of running multiple Croquet images
>  side-by-side, therefore being able to effectively utilize multi-core
>  CPUs. Hydra VM is still in an early phase of development, but given the
>  (very successful) early results, Qwaq has decided to make it available
>  to general public in the hope that other people will help Igor to make
>  further progress in developing Hydra VM.
>
>  The offical release is available here:
>
>    http://www.qwaq.com/HydraVM
>
>  and contains the following files:
>
>  * HydraVM-bin.zip - A prebuilt Windows version of Hydra VM.
>  * HydraVM-src.zip - The (C) source tree for building Hydra VM.
>  * HydraVM-pkg.zip - The (Squeak) packages needed to build Hydra VM.
>
>  Enjoy!
>
>  Cheers,
>    - Andreas (on behalf of Qwaq)

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Hydra VM: A multi-core capable Croquet VM

Igor Stasenko
Please note, that its very-very alpha.
It works for me, but you can have problems with different images.
Run it from command line like:
Croquet.exe >myLog.log
this could give you a chance to investigate a problem. Also, if it
crashes, you can find a crash dump at same location where you put
executable.

Have fun exploring bugs :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Hydra VM: A multi-core capable Croquet VM

Stephen Pair
How does one start a second image (or does it do this automatically based on the number of cores)?

On my machine, it seems to run ok for about a minute or so and then freeze up (this is on a Windows XP core duo machine).

- Stephen

Stephen Pair wrote:
> How does one start a second image (or does it do this automatically
> based on the number of cores)?

Load the HydraVM package and execute:

   HydraVM saveAsHeadlessImage: 'core.image'

This will save the current image in a form ready for loading it in the
background. When you've saved it, start it via:

   HydraVM loadAndRunNewImage: 'core.image'

> On my machine, it seems to run ok for about a minute or so and then
> freeze up (this is on a Windows XP core duo machine).

Interesting. Others have mentioned the same effect. I'm using a slightly
older version of the VM which seems a little more stable (but I know
Igor is looking into the problem).

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Hydra VM: A multi-core capable Croquet VM

Stephen Pair
Heh...I guess that would have been obvious had I tried loading the package.  ;)  Thanks.

On 22/02/2008, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stephen Pair wrote:
>  > How does one start a second image (or does it do this automatically
>  > based on the number of cores)?
>

> Load the HydraVM package and execute:
>
>    HydraVM saveAsHeadlessImage: 'core.image'
>
>  This will save the current image in a form ready for loading it in the
>  background. When you've saved it, start it via:
>
>    HydraVM loadAndRunNewImage: 'core.image'
>

>  > On my machine, it seems to run ok for about a minute or so and then
>  > freeze up (this is on a Windows XP core duo machine).
>

> Interesting. Others have mentioned the same effect. I'm using a slightly
>  older version of the VM which seems a little more stable (but I know
>  Igor is looking into the problem).

This was introduced due to my latest changes. Sorry guys i didn't meant that. :)
I had freezing problems on my own PC, and did some fixes to eliminate
that before releasing an update. As it turned out, something in
environment (Windows?) causing VM to freeze, because i tested same
images and with same VM binaries and it worked just fine on my PC.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Hydra VM: A multi-core capable Croquet VM

Stephen Pair
I must say, this is a really impressive development.  I really think this is the right way to approach multi-core systems.

At work, we have a highly distributed system (some customers are running as many as 50 nodes with a mix of VW and C++ processes on each).  Occassionally some of our people in the field or customers complain that any one process isn't taking advantage of the multi-core architectures they run on.  After reminding them that in fact we are using those CPUs because we are running many processes on those nodes, we also highlight the fact that our C++ component, which utilizes many threads (in a retrospectively naive way), actually degrades in performance when you drop it onto a multi-core machine (and it degrades badly).  All those highly active threads contending for the same shared memory isn't quite so good.  ;)

- Stephen

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

On 22/02/2008, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22/02/2008, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  > Stephen Pair wrote:
>  >  > How does one start a second image (or does it do this automatically
>  >  > based on the number of cores)?
>  >
>  >
>  > Load the HydraVM package and execute:
>  >
>  >    HydraVM saveAsHeadlessImage: 'core.image'
>  >
>  >  This will save the current image in a form ready for loading it in the
>  >  background. When you've saved it, start it via:
>  >
>  >    HydraVM loadAndRunNewImage: 'core.image'
>  >
>  >
>  >  > On my machine, it seems to run ok for about a minute or so and then
>  >  > freeze up (this is on a Windows XP core duo machine).
>  >
>  >
>  > Interesting. Others have mentioned the same effect. I'm using a slightly
>  >  older version of the VM which seems a little more stable (but I know
>  >  Igor is looking into the problem).
>  >
>

> This was introduced due to my latest changes. Sorry guys i didn't meant that. :)
>  I had freezing problems on my own PC, and did some fixes to eliminate
>  that before releasing an update. As it turned out, something in
>  environment (Windows?) causing VM to freeze, because i tested same
>  images and with same VM binaries and it worked just fine on my PC.

I'm just tested 3.9 final image + HydraVM on other PC i have at my
disposal. No freezing.

So, it looks like that without external help i will be unable to deal
with this problem fast.
If someone, who experiencing freezing, could provide me a VNC
connection, so i can try to figure out what is wrong.
Is there anyone who could help me with that?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Stephen Pair wrote:
> I must say, this is a really impressive development.  I really think
> this is the right way to approach multi-core systems.

I agree. It's a stronger model than shared-state concurrency because you
model sets of objects (which is natural for the environment we're in).
The next step needs to be a set of tools that we can use to create
really small "worker images" (maybe 100k or less). At which point we not
only have the ability to, say, fork a few hundred of those (and take
care of Intels NextGen 80+ core CPUs ;-) but also get the minimal images
so many people are craving for and be able to load different versions of
code side-by-side and get a module system for free. Pretty exciting stuff.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

> At work, we have a highly distributed system (some customers are running
> as many as 50 nodes with a mix of VW and C++ processes on each).
>  Occassionally some of our people in the field or customers complain
> that any one process isn't taking advantage of the multi-core
> architectures they run on.  After reminding them that in fact we are
> using those CPUs because we are running many processes on those nodes,
> we also highlight the fact that our C++ component, which utilizes many
> threads (in a retrospectively naive way), actually degrades in
> performance when you drop it onto a multi-core machine (and it degrades
> badly).  All those highly active threads contending for the same shared
> memory isn't quite so good.  ;)
>
> - Stephen
>
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 8:22 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 22/02/2008, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>      > Stephen Pair wrote:
>      >  > How does one start a second image (or does it do this
>     automatically
>      >  > based on the number of cores)?
>      >
>      >
>      > Load the HydraVM package and execute:
>      >
>      >    HydraVM saveAsHeadlessImage: 'core.image'
>      >
>      >  This will save the current image in a form ready for loading it
>     in the
>      >  background. When you've saved it, start it via:
>      >
>      >    HydraVM loadAndRunNewImage: 'core.image'
>      >
>      >
>      >  > On my machine, it seems to run ok for about a minute or so and
>     then
>      >  > freeze up (this is on a Windows XP core duo machine).
>      >
>      >
>      > Interesting. Others have mentioned the same effect. I'm using a
>     slightly
>      >  older version of the VM which seems a little more stable (but I know
>      >  Igor is looking into the problem).
>      >
>
>     This was introduced due to my latest changes. Sorry guys i didn't
>     meant that. :)
>     I had freezing problems on my own PC, and did some fixes to eliminate
>     that before releasing an update. As it turned out, something in
>     environment (Windows?) causing VM to freeze, because i tested same
>     images and with same VM binaries and it worked just fine on my PC.
>

>      >  Cheers,
>      >
>      >    - Andreas
>      >
>      >
>

>     --
>     Best regards,
>     Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

[squeak-dev] Re: Re: [ANN] Hydra VM: A multi-core capable Croquet VM

Klaus D. Witzel
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 02:45:43 +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> I'm just tested 3.9 final image + HydraVM on other PC i have at my
> disposal. No freezing.

But neither 3.9 final nor HydraVM-sig.8.mcz has an implementor for
#installInterruptWatcher: which you send from HydraVM class>>#
saveAsHeadlessImage: :( or am I missing something?

> So, it looks like that without external help i will be unable to deal
> with this problem fast.

Mind to add "self primitiveFailed" to all the methods of HydraVM-sig.8.mcz
where it's missing, that way we can perhaps get a SqueakDebug.log even if
the UI is unresponsive.

> If someone, who experiencing freezing, could provide me a VNC
> connection, so i can try to figure out what is wrong.
> Is there anyone who could help me with that?

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Hydra VM: A multi-core capable Croquet VM

garduino
2008/2/21, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:

>  > On my machine, it seems to run ok for about a minute or so and then
>  > freeze up (this is on a Windows XP core duo machine).
>

> Interesting. Others have mentioned the same effect. I'm using a slightly
>  older version of the VM which seems a little more stable (but I know
>  Igor is looking into the problem).
>
>  Cheers,
>
>    - Andreas

The same here. I talked at length with Igor and with his guidance and
help done several tests.

Now I sent a new log (dump of the processes of the VM). May be we can
continue on this list Igor, to all interested people hear/collaborate.

Cheers.

gsa

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Re: [ANN] Hydra VM: A multi-core capable Croquet VM

Igor Stasenko
On 22/02/2008, Klaus D. Witzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 02:45:43 +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> > I'm just tested 3.9 final image + HydraVM on other PC i have at my
>  > disposal. No freezing.
>

> But neither 3.9 final nor HydraVM-sig.8.mcz has an implementor for
>  #installInterruptWatcher: which you send from HydraVM class>>#
>  saveAsHeadlessImage: :( or am I missing something?

No, i'm talking about starting a stock image, without even loading
anything like HydraVM package.

>  > So, it looks like that without external help i will be unable to deal
>  > with this problem fast.
>

> Mind to add "self primitiveFailed" to all the methods of HydraVM-sig.8.mcz
>  where it's missing, that way we can perhaps get a SqueakDebug.log even if
>  the UI is unresponsive.

I will release new HydraVM package once i done with implementing HydraStream.
But again, it can't influence VM behavior, see my comment above :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

[squeak-dev] Re: Re: Re: [ANN] Hydra VM: A multi-core capable Croquet VM

Klaus D. Witzel
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 12:26:34 +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 22/02/2008, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 02:45:43 +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:

>> > I'm just tested 3.9 final image + HydraVM on other PC i have at my
>>  > disposal. No freezing.
>>
>> But neither 3.9 final nor HydraVM-sig.8.mcz has an implementor for
>>  #installInterruptWatcher: which you send from HydraVM class>>#
>>  saveAsHeadlessImage: :( or am I missing something?
>>

> No, i'm talking about starting a stock image, without even loading
> anything like HydraVM package.

Ah. I have one of Pavel's MinimalMorphic.image which runs Okay with
Squeak.exe but with Hydra's Croquet.exe starts with just black host window
and many more times without even a host window. Can zip it to my server
for download, if that's interesting for you.

>>  > So, it looks like that without external help i will be unable to deal
>>  > with this problem fast.
>>
>> Mind to add "self primitiveFailed" to all the methods of
>> HydraVM-sig.8.mcz
>>  where it's missing, that way we can perhaps get a SqueakDebug.log even
>> if
>>  the UI is unresponsive.
>>
> I will release new HydraVM package once i done with implementing
> HydraStream.
> But again, it can't influence VM behavior, see my comment above :)
>

>>  > If someone, who experiencing freezing, could provide me a VNC
>>  > connection, so i can try to figure out what is wrong.
>>  > Is there anyone who could help me with that?
>>  >

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Re: Re: [ANN] Hydra VM: A multi-core capable Croquet VM

Igor Stasenko
On 22/02/2008, Klaus D. Witzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 12:26:34 +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>

> > On 22/02/2008, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>  >> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 02:45:43 +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>  >>
>  >>  ...
>  >>
>  >> > I'm just tested 3.9 final image + HydraVM on other PC i have at my
>  >>  > disposal. No freezing.
>  >>
>  >> But neither 3.9 final nor HydraVM-sig.8.mcz has an implementor for
>  >>  #installInterruptWatcher: which you send from HydraVM class>>#
>  >>  saveAsHeadlessImage: :( or am I missing something?
>  >>
>  >
>  > No, i'm talking about starting a stock image, without even loading
>  > anything like HydraVM package.
>

> Ah. I have one of Pavel's MinimalMorphic.image which runs Okay with
>  Squeak.exe but with Hydra's Croquet.exe starts with just black host window
>  and many more times without even a host window. Can zip it to my server
>  for download, if that's interesting for you.

Yes, of course, bring it here! :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Hydra VM: A multi-core capable Croquet VM

Igor Stasenko
On 22/02/2008, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stephen Pair wrote:
>  > I must say, this is a really impressive development.  I really think
>  > this is the right way to approach multi-core systems.
>

> I agree. It's a stronger model than shared-state concurrency because you
>  model sets of objects (which is natural for the environment we're in).
>  The next step needs to be a set of tools that we can use to create
>  really small "worker images" (maybe 100k or less). At which point we not
>  only have the ability to, say, fork a few hundred of those (and take
>  care of Intels NextGen 80+ core CPUs ;-) but also get the minimal images
>  so many people are craving for and be able to load different versions of
>  code side-by-side and get a module system for free. Pretty exciting stuff.

In this respect, i think, best would be to incorporate Spoon features to VM.
As i understand (Craig, correct me if i'm wrong), a Spoon VM changes
are incremental and not breaking any compatibility.
So, it would be only better to have this technology at hands, which
will enable to make small or even tiny images without much efforts.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 13:06:09 +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 22/02/2008, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 12:26:34 +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:

>>  >
>>  > No, i'm talking about starting a stock image, without even loading
>>  > anything like HydraVM package.
>>

>> Ah. I have one of Pavel's MinimalMorphic.image which runs Okay with
>>  Squeak.exe but with Hydra's Croquet.exe starts with just black host
>> window
>>  and many more times without even a host window. Can zip it to my server
>>  for download, if that's interesting for you.
>>

> Yes, of course, bring it here! :)

... drrring says the inbox bell,

- ftp://squeak.cobss.ch/pub/MinimalMorphic/MinimalMorphic2.zip (5'988 KB
2008-02-22 12:10:00)

Recall that these .images have rather incomplete file i/o and minimal
error-UI handling, but MC works (only used load so far).

123