[ANN] Iliad 0.9.4 is out

12

Re: New release of Iliad ?

Hannes Hirzel
On 6/12/17, benoit <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Steven,
>
>   I would like to have the opinion of Hernan on this subject. He's the
> "official" maintainer from my point of view.
>   He gave me the rights to write on his repo on SmalltalkHub after I
> made some patchs but to this day I have only used it to little things
> and I keep all experimental work in my own project.
>
>   As it should be quite obvious I am interested in producing new
> versions of Iliad. But time is a big factor, and we should take care of
> having a policy to decide what to include and what not if we get very
> distinct contributions...
>
>   My needs with Iliad are quite special : I use it to make mono user web
> applications (think owncloud apps). So I need to let the user be able to
> change lots of things without coding. I want to let the user, from his
> browser do thoses things :
>      - moving widgets (hence my work on drag and drop support) ;
>      - modiying the css ;
>      - modiying all non-input text (think translation mecanism) ;
>      - sharing contents (adding urls to sub parts of the app).
>
>   Now for what I think Iliad need :
>      - upgrade to newer versions of jQuery => I am testing jQuery
> 1.12.4, some things are broken, I need to investiguate more (not nice
> cause it's javascript code and not smalltalk
>      - release a version tagged for Pharo 5 (to get visibility) => I can
> work on that ;
>      - a website, or at least more public code to show how to use it
> (allmost all my code is public, but not really of good quality) ;

Hello

I wonder what happened to
      http://www.iliadproject.org/

It seems that currently

      http://80738163270632.blogspot.com/2015/04/iliad-094-is-out.html

is the entry point to find out about Iliad. And it is probably worth
asking on the Squeak list as well if people are interested in a new
release.

--Hannes

>      - release a version tagged for Pharo 6 => not sure when I will go
> to Pharo 6 myself, so...
>      - switch from KomHttpServer to Zinc one => I think it will be
> usefull to avoid bitrotting and to get better integration with other
> pharo tools (oh, that's actually something we need to discuss : which
> platform Iliad should support ? I use only Pharo) ;
>      - some work on the security part, I am quite sure that the way
> Iliad handle sessions needs to be made more secure.
>
> @+
> Benoit
>

> Le 07/06/17 à 00:02, Steven Costiou a écrit :
>> Hi,
>> as Benoit summarized our discussion at Pharo Days, the feeling is that
>> Iliad is dead. There is no community. Only a few users working on their
>> private projects and barely sharing anything.
>>
>> Nevertheless, Iliad is very simple and very efficient for building small
>> web apps with no super-fancy-trendy-web-things. I love Iliad. I will
>> continue to use it.
>>
>> My question is:
>>
>> - as the project is dead as is: no planned evolution, no perspectives
>> - as there is no active community, so there are no constraints
>>
>> Could we not take it at our advantage and build our own tool that does
>> what we want ? And by we, i mean, i'm speaking about what... 5 persons ?
>>
>> - There would not be any impact, nobody uses Iliad
>> - We would have what we want or need: a useful tool and fun building it
>> - If by any luck the community starts growing, which never happened in
>> the first place (i'm guessing current users of Iliad are the original
>> users since 2009), well we'll see if we get there but right now i do not
>> really care
>>
>> But we'd need skills to be able to evolve Iliad, time (most challenging
>> problem imo...) and ambition to know where we want to go.
>>
>> So in addition to Benoit's question:
>>
>> - who would be, hypothetically, interested by a common work on Iliad and
>> producing new versions of it ?
>> - what are your needs with Iliad ?
>>
>> I myself need to think about my needs (too late for that, it's time to
>> sleep), but i think i'd like to take iliad and start doing new stuff
>> with it.
>>
>> I have made many projects with it, not a lot survived the years. The two
>> following projects (see the attached screenshots) are in production and
>> this is iliad stuff i'm working on when i find the time: qbib, a tool to
>> manage my research bibliography. It does not do all the powerful things
>> that modern bib tools do, buuut i can do whatever i want with my data !
>> I generate reports, latex files, research paper drafts, etc. The other
>> project is an artistic card game for a friend who is editing a physical
>> deck and do exhibitions of his art.
>>
>> Steven.

Upgrade to jQuery

benoit
Hello all,

  after some more tests, it seems the only thing not working in Iliad
with jQuery 1.12.4 is the test for detecting IE version < 9 :

ie67 = jQuery.browser.msie && parseInt(jQuery.browser.version) < 8;

  I think the correct way of doing this would be to test exactly the
feature we need, but I don't know which one it is and don't have the
time to found it (well and can't either, I don't have IE -nor Windows-
at home).

  So I am leaning to keep the ie67 var and just change the method to
value it. The internet[1] is giving me at least three ways to do it :
        - using conditionnal html comments ;
        - parsing the user agent string ;
        - testing the support for specific standard object.

  I am leaning towards the last one with something like that :

ie67 = document.all && !document.querySelector;

  Would be that ok for everyone ?

@+
Benoit

[1]
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10964966/detect-ie-version-prior-to-v9-in-javascript#10965091
and http://tanalin.com/en/articles/ie-version-js/

Re: New release of Iliad ?

hernanmd
Hi Steven,

as Benoit summarized our discussion at Pharo Days, the feeling is that Iliad is dead. There is no community. Only a few users working on their private projects and barely sharing anything.

That's exactly the situation right now.

Nevertheless, Iliad is very simple and very efficient for building small web apps with no super-fancy-trendy-web-things. I love Iliad. I will continue to use it.

My question is:

- as the project is dead as is: no planned evolution, no perspectives
- as there is no active community, so there are no constraints

Could we not take it at our advantage and build our own tool that does what we want ? And by we, i mean, i'm speaking about what... 5 persons ?

- There would not be any impact, nobody uses Iliad
- We would have what we want or need: a useful tool and fun building it
- If by any luck the community starts growing, which never happened in the first place (i'm guessing current users of Iliad are the original users since 2009), well we'll see if we get there but right now i do not really care

Totally agree with your comments. Planning requires time we simply do not have.

On the other side Seaside mailing-list traffic has declined too, being Seaside a "software product" much more active in the Smalltalk world. So this is not only affecting Iliad but maybe Smalltalk in general.

[...]

Thanks for sharing the screenshots. May we use it as "sucess case" in the style of http://pharo.org/success

For now I created a GitHub project page:

https://iliadproject.github.io/

Let me know if you want to be added as collaborators then you can start to push content for the web site.
Let's move one step at the time.

Cheers,

Hernán

Steven.

Le 06/06/17 à 22:57, benoit a écrit :
I just downloaded it in pharo5. Maybe we need an upgrade to a new jQuery.

 Indeed we need. I tried to do it with Pharo 4.0 but it crashed every
time. I have to check but it's possible that the issue is the size of
latest 1.x jQuery is too big to be stored in one string like it's
actually done.

 Well I just tried and was able to load a jQuery v1.11.1 into ILJavaScriptsDirectory on Pharo 5. I escaped all ' and it mostly works out of the box. But I think there are a few issues. I will try to address them before commit it.

@+
Benoit

12