[ANN] Kernel image overrides described on Mantis

[ANN] Kernel image overrides described on Mantis

Pavel Krivanek
Hi all,

I added 66 new issues on Mantis that describe overrides in my kernel
image. They have prefix [KernelImageOverride]. Most of them will make
the kernel classes more independent on user interface and other
packages. So please feel free to discuss them and write patches.

If we will solve this issues, we will be able to have minimal current
Squeak image without user interface and other packages that will be
created without ugly short-term hacks. So if you want to reach this
goal, Mantis is the right place where can you help us.

-- Pavel

Re: [ANN] Kernel image overrides described on Mantis

Klaus D. Witzel
Congratulations Pavel, you've mastered the almost impossible: instead of
debating the subject to death (as is GOF tradition here), you moplexed[1]
the .image so it no longer needs to be pure[tm] monolithic along very
important separators. I've worked through the issues and thrown my CHF
0.02 onto some of them.

Stef: 3.9+66xPavel's overrides is what IMO is the best start for 3.10
(unless there'd be an .image format change which would force a 4.0
release).

Stef (again :) it will be interesting to see the TestCase(s) which need to
be developed together with the permanent 66 overrides ;-)

Supposed that there will be 66 suggested (and debatable) solutions
documented on Mantis, it seems to be possible for 4+ Squeakers over a
Saturday + a Sunday (+ coffee + lunch + drinks + DSL/WLAN, sponsored) to
make an Anne Berry[1] .image happen.

/Klaus

[1] http://www.google.com/search?q=separability+dirac+moplex

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 20:16:28 +0200, Pavel Krivanek wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I added 66 new issues on Mantis that describe overrides in my kernel
> image. They have prefix [KernelImageOverride]. Most of them will make
> the kernel classes more independent on user interface and other
> packages. So please feel free to discuss them and write patches.
>
> If we will solve this issues, we will be able to have minimal current
> Squeak image without user interface and other packages that will be
> created without ugly short-term hacks. So if you want to reach this
> goal, Mantis is the right place where can you help us.
>
> -- Pavel

Re: [ANN] Kernel image overrides described on Mantis

stéphane ducasse-2
Now I'm quite busy but yes I want to have a look at the overrides.
I should publish
        - a postmortem analysis of 3.9
        - a possible roadmap for 3.10
        - have a look at MC2 :)