[ANN] [KernelImage] Monticello package for the Kernel

1 message Options

[ANN] [KernelImage] Monticello package for the Kernel

Pavel Krivanek
Hi all,

I did the next important step to automatic build server. The Kernel is
now packaged in one big Monticello package. That means that we have an
image where we have five basic packages:
- Kernel
- Compression
- Network
- PackageInfo
- Monticello
This image can be downloaded here:
http://comtalk.net/public/pub/KernelImage/KernelImageMC.20070215.zip

This packages are independent and they have no overrides. So from now
if we want to create changes in the basic sources of the KernelImage,
we may simply publish the new version of the Kernel package to the
KernelImage repository.

I suppose that this image will be basic for the next KernelImage
development and I will create the script that will create bald
KernelImage from this kind of image.

Note: we can publish new versions of basic packages only from image
with this packages. If you will load MinimalMorphic package or EToys
package, this big packages overrides some code from basic packages now
so the published version then can be incomplete and broken. So, if you
want to publish new version of kernel, compression, network,
packageInfo or monticello, do this from image without MinimalMorphic
and/or EToys, if you want to publish new version of MinimalMorphic
packages, do it from the image without EToys. The overrides may be
problem for future update stream.

Note2: because Monticello uses automatical initialization (that can be
problem for the kernel classes while loading new version of the kernel
package), I had to rename all class side #initialize methods to
#initializeClass (the same hack as in case of MinimalMorphic and
EToys). There is only one class side initialize - empty methods Object
class >> #initialize

Note3: If you have problems with uploading of new version of packages
to SqueakSource KernelImage repository (I have - even for other
projects like Seaside), you may simply upload the version from the
package-cache using web interface. The KernelImage repository is
public.

Cheers,
-- Pavel