[ANN] LevelPlayingField

keith1y
Hello All,

In order to write/test packages in various squeak image versions, it would be very helpful if there were some (more) commonality between them in terms of the installation tools that they support.

Introducing....   "Level Playing Field"

LevelPlayingField is a script (LPF.st) which can be fed to 3.7, 3.8, 3.8.1, 3.8.2, 3.9, 3.10 etc etc in order to get a basic level of common functionality.

This script hands off to scripts hosted at http://installer.pbwiki.com/ which are crafted specifically for each version of squeak.

Here is an example of how you use it from a command line prompt...

#> squeak Squeak3.7-5989-basic.image http://installer.pbwiki.com/f/LPF.st Installer +debug user=kph do=Tidy;Update;MagmaSeaside SmalltalkImage save=MS.image +quit

This performs the following...

1. Load squeak with the given image, run the LevelPlayingField script LPF.st
2. Control is passed to scripts at http://installer.pbwiki.com/LevelPlayingField

Installer, Monticello1.5, MonticelloConfigurations and Launcher are loaded,
control passes to Launcher to handle further command line parameters.

3. Command  line paramter 3, "Installer" passes control back to Installer.
4. Debug mode is enabled.
5. User initials are set to 'kph' (for example)
6. Control is passed to scripts at http://installer.pbwiki.com/Tidy where

All windows are closed and the Mouse Logo is removed (sorry)

7. The script "Update" loads nominated bug fixes and package updates.
8. The script "MagmaSeaside" is ficticious right now... but it would install Magma and Seaside.

9. Control passes to SmalltalkImage
10. The image is saved under the name MS.image
11. Quit!

If you wish to use installer.pwiki.com for your build scripts, you will need to guess the password... the clue is ... "what noise does a mouse make".

I would like to open up installer.pbwiki.com to others who use different images in order to fine tune them. For example I cant get the 3.9 Kernel Image to work on my Mac, so we need a kernelImage expert to fill in the details.

I have defined a series of scripts, in addition to "Tidy" we also have a more aggressive option, "Clean" for removing "Stuff", these two could use filling in by folks who are more expert at removing stuff than I.

Finally there is a slot "Update" for Bug Fixes, and Package Updates for images...

Fine tuning this "Level Playing Field" will need to be something undertaken by the community, I propose, if no one objects that the [hidden email] mailing list be used for this purpose. Also if you want to discuss the possibilities at any point I am available in irc #squeak most days.

best regards

Keith

Re: [ANN] LevelPlayingField

keith1y
Todd Blanchard wrote:

> So this script basically loads up packages that removes a bunch of api
> incompatibilities across versions all the way back to 3.7?  That is
> AWESOME.
>
> It would be really cool if you were to include the
> package 'http://www.squeaksource.com/Glorp37Compat'
> <http://www.squeaksource.com/Glorp37Compat%27>
> as this contains a bunch of compatibility methods for 3.7's String and
> Character methods (there's nothing really glorp specific in it).  Lots
> of post-3.7 code uses these methods and thus won't load in 3.7.  Among
> them, the postgres client.
Ok... added to

http://installer.pbwiki.com/LevelPlayingField-Squeak3%3A7

cheers

Keith

Re: [ANN] LevelPlayingField

Damien Cassou-3
Hi Keith,

this sounds really interesting. Thank you

--
Damien Cassou