[ANN] MetacelloBrowser 1.59.1 ready for feedback

12

[ANN] MetacelloBrowser 1.59.1 ready for feedback

Dale Henrichs
I've been using the MetacelloBrowser pretty heavily in my day to day development and I feel that it has reached a relatively stable point in terms of reliability and functionality, so now is a good time to get feedback from a wider audience of users.

The MetacelloBrowser pretty much supports the development cycle as described in my blog post[1], with menu items or buttons to support the major operations. For the most part you shouldn't have to open the Monticello Browser when using the Metacello Browser ... if you find you have to use it let us know:). To submit bug reports, visit [2] and set the Product label to Product-Browser.

Please use the 'documentation' menu item in the configuration list to look at the help text for a configuration (Metacello and MetacelloBrowser entries have been customized) and let me know what you think.

The 'Load Configuration' button should let you load a configuration and then you can use the browser to load a specific version.

There are still times when you have to 'browse' a configuration or version to had edit things, but over time I hope that we can build ui's for doing that as well.

Press the 'Help' button to take a look at the Help available and feel free to suggest improvements.

When you load the MetacelloBrowser, you'll get version 1.0-beta.29 of Metacello which is still under development ...there are a number of performance improvements and bugfixes in 1.0-beta.29 along with the Configuration Help System entries so don't forget to open a Help Browser and look at the 'Metacello Configruations' topic (related to the MetacelloBrowser 'documentation' menu item).

To load do the following:

  Gofer new
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloBrowser';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfMetacelloBrowser';
    load.

then:

  (ConfigurationOfMetacelloBrowser project version: #stable) load.

then either:

  MetacelloBrowser open.

or

  MBOBConfigurationBrowser open.

In Pharo, the MetacelloBrowser shows up in the Tools menu.

I expect the MetacelloBrowser to work in:

  - Pharo1.1 and Pharo1.2 (OB or Morphic)
  - Squeak 4.2 (OB)
  - GLASS 1.0-beta.8.7 (OB)

The MetacelloBrowser is still a work in progress, but your feedback now will make it possible for Alexandre and I to focus on the things that need to be addressed before we can announce general availability.

Dale

[1] http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/#walkthrough
[2] http://code.google.com/p/metacello/issues/entry

[2] http://code.google.com/p/metacello/issues/entry

Re: [ANN] MetacelloBrowser 1.59.1 ready for feedback

Dale Henrichs
Stef and Doru,

If and when you take a spin with the new MetacelloBrowser, check out the 'archive version' and 'load archive version'...these commands create and load from repositories that where _all_ of the configurations and mcz files are archived ...

For Pharo these commands are the starting point for creating and loading from the PharoXX repositories...

Dale

On Apr 10, 2011, at 9:54 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> I've been using the MetacelloBrowser pretty heavily in my day to day development and I feel that it has reached a relatively stable point in terms of reliability and functionality, so now is a good time to get feedback from a wider audience of users.
>
> The MetacelloBrowser pretty much supports the development cycle as described in my blog post[1], with menu items or buttons to support the major operations. For the most part you shouldn't have to open the Monticello Browser when using the Metacello Browser ... if you find you have to use it let us know:). To submit bug reports, visit [2] and set the Product label to Product-Browser.
>
> Please use the 'documentation' menu item in the configuration list to look at the help text for a configuration (Metacello and MetacelloBrowser entries have been customized) and let me know what you think.
>
> The 'Load Configuration' button should let you load a configuration and then you can use the browser to load a specific version.
>
> There are still times when you have to 'browse' a configuration or version to had edit things, but over time I hope that we can build ui's for doing that as well.
>
> Press the 'Help' button to take a look at the Help available and feel free to suggest improvements.
>
> When you load the MetacelloBrowser, you'll get version 1.0-beta.29 of Metacello which is still under development ...there are a number of performance improvements and bugfixes in 1.0-beta.29 along with the Configuration Help System entries so don't forget to open a Help Browser and look at the 'Metacello Configruations' topic (related to the MetacelloBrowser 'documentation' menu item).
>
> To load do the following:
>
>  Gofer new
>    squeaksource: 'MetacelloBrowser';
>    package: 'ConfigurationOfMetacelloBrowser';
>    load.
>
> then:
>
>  (ConfigurationOfMetacelloBrowser project version: #stable) load.
>
> then either:
>
>  MetacelloBrowser open.
>
> or
>
>  MBOBConfigurationBrowser open.
>
> In Pharo, the MetacelloBrowser shows up in the Tools menu.
>
> I expect the MetacelloBrowser to work in:
>
>  - Pharo1.1 and Pharo1.2 (OB or Morphic)
>  - Squeak 4.2 (OB)
>  - GLASS 1.0-beta.8.7 (OB)
>
> The MetacelloBrowser is still a work in progress, but your feedback now will make it possible for Alexandre and I to focus on the things that need to be addressed before we can announce general availability.
>
> Dale
>
> [1] http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/#walkthrough
> [2] http://code.google.com/p/metacello/issues/entry

Re: [ANN] MetacelloBrowser 1.59.1 ready for feedback

stephane ducasse-2
quite busy right now.
I will add it to my pyramid of todo.:)

Stef

On Apr 11, 2011, at 5:05 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> then:
>>
>> (ConfigurationOfMetacelloBrowser project version: #stable) load.
>>
>> then either:
>>
>> MetacelloBrowser open.
>>
>> or
>>
>> MBOBConfigurationBrowser open.
>>
>> In Pharo, the MetacelloBrowser shows up in the Tools menu.
>>
>> I expect the MetacelloBrowser to work in:
>>
>> - Pharo1.1 and Pharo1.2 (OB or Morphic)
>> - Squeak 4.2 (OB)
>> - GLASS 1.0-beta.8.7 (OB)
>>
>> The MetacelloBrowser is still a work in progress, but your feedback now will make it possible for Alexandre and I to focus on the things that need to be addressed before we can announce general availability.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> [1] http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/#walkthrough
>> [2] http://code.google.com/p/metacello/issues/entry

Re: [ANN] MetacelloBrowser 1.59.1 ready for feedback

Haha, No problem ... it'll be there when you are ready:)

Dale

On 04/12/2011 05:14 AM, stephane ducasse wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> then:
>>>
>>> (ConfigurationOfMetacelloBrowser project version: #stable) load.
>>>
>>> then either:
>>>
>>> MetacelloBrowser open.
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> MBOBConfigurationBrowser open.
>>>
>>> In Pharo, the MetacelloBrowser shows up in the Tools menu.
>>>
>>> I expect the MetacelloBrowser to work in:
>>>
>>> - Pharo1.1 and Pharo1.2 (OB or Morphic)
>>> - Squeak 4.2 (OB)
>>> - GLASS 1.0-beta.8.7 (OB)
>>>
>>> The MetacelloBrowser is still a work in progress, but your feedback now will make it possible for Alexandre and I to focus on the things that need to be addressed before we can announce general availability.
>>>
>>> Dale
>>>
>>> [1] http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/#walkthrough
>>> [2] http://code.google.com/p/metacello/issues/entry

Re: [ANN] MetacelloBrowser 1.59.1 ready for feedback

Tudor Girba
Hi Dale,

I tried a bit, but did not really manage to do what I wanted. I will definitely restart using it after the weekend.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

Re: [ANN] MetacelloBrowser 1.59.1 ready for feedback

abergel
> I tried a bit, but did not really manage to do what I wanted. I will definitely restart using it after the weekend.

What was the problem? Is it about the functionalities or the interface?

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: [ANN] MetacelloBrowser 1.59.1 ready for feedback

Tudor Girba
The multitude of buttons got me confused.

I wanted to see how to generate a new ConfigurationOfMoose based on the current package and subprojects versions in the image.

Cheers,
Doru

"Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

Re: [ANN] MetacelloBrowser 1.59.1 ready for feedback

Dale Henrichs
That would be the +Configuration button or 'add configuration' menu item
... There are 'tool tips' so if you hover over the button or menu, you
cat get a longer description of the command...

Dale

On 04/14/2011 01:45 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> The multitude of buttons got me confused.
>
> I wanted to see how to generate a new ConfigurationOfMoose based on the current package and subprojects versions in the image.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 14 Apr 2011, at 23:39, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>
>>> I tried a bit, but did not really manage to do what I wanted. I will definitely restart using it after the weekend.
>>
>> What was the problem? Is it about the functionalities or the interface?
>>
>> Alexandre
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "It's not how it is, it is how we see it."
>>>

>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.
>>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

Re: [ANN] MetacelloBrowser 1.59.1 ready for feedback

Tudor Girba
Thanks. I saw the tooltips, but as I said, I got intimidated by the multiple buttons and I gave up to mess around with it because I only had a short amount of time :).

I will look at it again and get back to you.

Cheers,
Doru

On 14 Apr 2011, at 22:51, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> That would be the +Configuration button or 'add configuration' menu item ... There are 'tool tips' so if you hover over the button or menu, you cat get a longer description of the command...
>
> Dale
>
> On 04/14/2011 01:45 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>> The multitude of buttons got me confused.
>>
>> I wanted to see how to generate a new ConfigurationOfMoose based on the current package and subprojects versions in the image.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru

>>> What was the problem? Is it about the functionalities or the interface?
>>>
>>> Alexandre

>>> --
>>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.
>>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing should have the right to be different."

Re: [ANN] MetacelloBrowser 1.59.1 ready for feedback

abergel
> Thanks. I saw the tooltips, but as I said, I got intimidated by the multiple buttons and I gave up to mess around with it because I only had a short amount of time :).
>
> I will look at it again and get back to you.

You're not the first one to complain about this. I agree, the UI is large and complex.
I will work on a better documentation, but this is not silver bullet. We will have to put in place a way to handle processes.

Alexandre

> On 14 Apr 2011, at 22:51, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>
>> That would be the +Configuration button or 'add configuration' menu item ... There are 'tool tips' so if you hover over the button or menu, you cat get a longer description of the command...
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> On 04/14/2011 01:45 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>> The multitude of buttons got me confused.
>>>
>>> I wanted to see how to generate a new ConfigurationOfMoose based on the current package and subprojects versions in the image.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."
>>>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Every thing should have the right to be different."

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: [ANN] MetacelloBrowser 1.59.1 ready for feedback

Dale Henrichs
Oh, okay...

I think that there is significant work needed for a UI to build
configurations from scratch ... a wizard-like thing or something ..
right now the string UI prompts is intimidating, since you aren't
providing all of the information that will be collected in one pane, so
you don't how to answer the questions ...

Unfortunately I do need to be able to run in GemStone, which means we
need to have an OB mapping for the ui and my OB foo is not good enough
to imagine how to do a nice wizard-style gui in OB ... It also looks
like OB is needed for Squeak, too, since the PolyMorph stuff doesn't
work in Squeak ...

Of course maybe wizard-style GUIs are passé for all I know:) and for all
I know PolyMorph is passé too...

Dale

On 04/14/2011 02:06 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Thanks. I saw the tooltips, but as I said, I got intimidated by the multiple buttons and I gave up to mess around with it because I only had a short amount of time :).
>
> I will look at it again and get back to you.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 14 Apr 2011, at 22:51, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>
>> That would be the +Configuration button or 'add configuration' menu item ... There are 'tool tips' so if you hover over the button or menu, you cat get a longer description of the command...
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> On 04/14/2011 01:45 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>> The multitude of buttons got me confused.
>>>
>>> I wanted to see how to generate a new ConfigurationOfMoose based on the current package and subprojects versions in the image.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."
>>>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Every thing should have the right to be different."

Re: [ANN] MetacelloBrowser 1.59.1 ready for feedback

Tudor Girba
Hi,

Don't get me wrong. I was not complaining :). I simply said that I did not find my way around that easily.

I would not be that concerned with OB. I think that the model  It's actually great that some interface exists. The most important part is that the relevant code is in the toolkit and thus it can be nicely reusable in another UI.

Cheers,
Doru

On 14 Apr 2011, at 23:15, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Oh, okay...
>
> I think that there is significant work needed for a UI to build configurations from scratch ... a wizard-like thing or something .. right now the string UI prompts is intimidating, since you aren't providing all of the information that will be collected in one pane, so you don't how to answer the questions ...
>
> Unfortunately I do need to be able to run in GemStone, which means we need to have an OB mapping for the ui and my OB foo is not good enough to imagine how to do a nice wizard-style gui in OB ... It also looks like OB is needed for Squeak, too, since the PolyMorph stuff doesn't work in Squeak ...
>
> Of course maybe wizard-style GUIs are passé for all I know:) and for all I know PolyMorph is passé too...
>
> Dale
>
> On 04/14/2011 02:06 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>> Thanks. I saw the tooltips, but as I said, I got intimidated by the multiple buttons and I gave up to mess around with it because I only had a short amount of time :).
>>
>> I will look at it again and get back to you.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 14 Apr 2011, at 22:51, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>>
>>> That would be the +Configuration button or 'add configuration' menu item ... There are 'tool tips' so if you hover over the button or menu, you cat get a longer description of the command...
>>>
>>> Dale

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Every thing should have the right to be different."

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow."

On 04/14/2011 02:33 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Don't get me wrong. I was not complaining :). I simply said that I did not find my way around that easily.
>
> I would not be that concerned with OB. I think that the model  It's actually great that some interface exists. The most important part is that the relevant code is in the toolkit and thus it can be nicely reusable in another UI.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru

I understand and I am not trying to be defensive:)

You just happened to mention that you were going to try building the
Moose configuration from scratch using the MetacelloBrowser and while I
believe that you can do it, I also believe that you might give up before
finishing because of the poor UI and I wouldn't blame you:)

I look forward to your comments and criticisms..

Dale

Re: [ANN] MetacelloBrowser 1.59.1 ready for feedback

stephane ducasse-2
may be using Merlin to build a wizard can be an idea.

On Apr 14, 2011, at 11:41 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> On 04/14/2011 02:33 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Don't get me wrong. I was not complaining :). I simply said that I did not find my way around that easily.
>>
>> I would not be that concerned with OB. I think that the model  It's actually great that some interface exists. The most important part is that the relevant code is in the toolkit and thus it can be nicely reusable in another UI.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

> I understand and I am not trying to be defensive:)
>
> You just happened to mention that you were going to try building the Moose configuration from scratch using the MetacelloBrowser and while I believe that you can do it, I also believe that you might give up before finishing because of the poor UI and I wouldn't blame you:)
>
> I look forward to your comments and criticisms..
>
> Dale

Re: [ANN] MetacelloBrowser 1.59.1 ready for feedback

abergel
> may be using Merlin to build a wizard can be an idea.

If we need wizard, we will use Merlin. I used it and it works well

Alexandre

> On Apr 14, 2011, at 11:41 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>
>> On 04/14/2011 02:33 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Don't get me wrong. I was not complaining :). I simply said that I did not find my way around that easily.
>>>
>>> I would not be that concerned with OB. I think that the model  It's actually great that some interface exists. The most important part is that the relevant code is in the toolkit and thus it can be nicely reusable in another UI.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>

>> I understand and I am not trying to be defensive:)
>>
>> You just happened to mention that you were going to try building the Moose configuration from scratch using the MetacelloBrowser and while I believe that you can do it, I also believe that you might give up before finishing because of the poor UI and I wouldn't blame you:)
>>
>> I look forward to your comments and criticisms..
>>
>> Dale

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: [ANN] MetacelloBrowser 1.59.1 ready for feedback

Tobias Pape-3

Here some reports from Squeak4.2

Am 2011-04-11 um 06:54 schrieb Dale Henrichs:

> To load do the following:
>
>  Gofer new
>    squeaksource: 'MetacelloBrowser';
>    package: 'ConfigurationOfMetacelloBrowser';
>    load.
>
> then:
>
>  (ConfigurationOfMetacelloBrowser project version: #stable) load.

(i did that but changed it for #development to better report issues)
> then either:
>
>  MetacelloBrowser open.
>
> or
>
>  MBOBConfigurationBrowser open.

Running the Test resulted in:

64 run, 44 passes, 2 expected failures, 16 failures, 2 errors, 0 unexpected passes
The two errors are related to:
http://code.google.com/p/metacello/issues/detail?id=131

The following tests failed:
MBAddConfigurationCommandTest>>#testExecute
MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0030BasicVersionLoad
MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0031ConfigurationInfoChanged
MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0040BasicVersionLoad
MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0060BasicVersionLoad
MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0061ConfigurationInfoChanged
MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0062InfoListChanged
MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0070BasicVersionLoad
MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0080BasicVersionLoad
MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0081BasicVersionLoad
MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0082ConfigurationInfoChanged
MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0083InfoListChanged
MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0090BasicVersionLoad
MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0091PackageMismatch
MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0111InfoListChanged
MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0120ConfigPackageSave

> In Pharo, the MetacelloBrowser shows up in the Tools menu.

For Squeak, see the proposed fix in
http://code.google.com/p/metacello/issues/detail?id=132

One comment for the tests.
There are at least 3 Test-Classes that are abstract but do not
tag themselves as such. A fixing changeset is attached
http://code.google.com/p/metacello/issues/detail?id=133

So Long,
        -Tobias

F'up: Re: [Metacello] [ANN] MetacelloBrowser 1.59.1 ready for feedback

Tobias Pape-3

see http://code.google.com/p/metacello/issues/detail?id=134

> MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0030BasicVersionLoad
> MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0031ConfigurationInfoChanged
> MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0040BasicVersionLoad
> MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0060BasicVersionLoad
> MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0061ConfigurationInfoChanged
> MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0062InfoListChanged
> MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0070BasicVersionLoad
> MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0080BasicVersionLoad
> MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0081BasicVersionLoad
> MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0082ConfigurationInfoChanged
> MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0083InfoListChanged
> MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0090BasicVersionLoad
> MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0091PackageMismatch
> MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0111InfoListChanged
> MBConfigurationRootTest>>#test0120ConfigPackageSave

So Long,
        -Tobias

Re: F'up: Re: [Metacello] [ANN] MetacelloBrowser 1.59.1 ready for feedback

abergel
Hi!
I will integrate your fix 132 and check 134 in a few minutes.

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 04/15/2011 05:47 AM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>> may be using Merlin to build a wizard can be an idea.
>
> If we need wizard, we will use Merlin. I used it and it works well
>
> Alexandre

I am not familiar with Merlin ... does it produce OmniBrowser windows?

I have to have an OmniBrowser mapping and I hate to have the browsers
diverge before the first release....

Dale
12