[ANN] MetaclassTalk is back

Noury Bouraqadi
Hi,

MetaclassTalk is a reflective extension of Smalltalk that provides
programmers with a a meta-object protocol (MOP) to control objects
structure (memory allocation and access to instance variables) and
behavior (message sends and receptions and method lookup and
evaluation). It aims easing experiments of new concepts, programming
pradigms and langage extensions.

I (at last) started porting it on a recent version of Squeak (3.9). The
port is still unfinished. However, you can use explicit metaclasses.
Note that Monticello support for explicit metaclasses is also provides.
Explicit metaclasses can be safely stored and retreived from Monticello
repositories.

http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/MetaclassTalk
http://www.squeaksource.com/MetaclassTalk.html

Noury
Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. G.I.P
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org

Squeak: an Open Source Smalltalk
http://www.squeak.org

Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. G.I.P
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org

Squeak: an Open Source Smalltalk
http://www.squeak.org

RE: [ANN] MetaclassTalk is back

Ramon Leon
> Hi,
>
> MetaclassTalk is a reflective extension of Smalltalk that
> provides programmers with a a meta-object protocol (MOP) to
> control objects structure (memory allocation and access to
> instance variables) and behavior (message sends and
> receptions and method lookup and evaluation). It aims easing
> experiments of new concepts, programming pradigms and langage
> extensions.
>
> I (at last) started porting it on a recent version of Squeak
> (3.9). The port is still unfinished. However, you can use
> explicit metaclasses.
> Note that Monticello support for explicit metaclasses is also
> provides.
> Explicit metaclasses can be safely stored and retreived from
> Monticello repositories.
>
> http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/MetaclassTalk
> http://www.squeaksource.com/MetaclassTalk.html

Any chance you could port to 3.8 instead or also, being the latest
stable version?

Re: [ANN] MetaclassTalk is back

stéphane ducasse-2
We should get 3.9 beta soon and we will wait for bug reports and go
final before end of June.
So wait a bit :)

On 28 avr. 06, at 18:41, Ramon Leon wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> MetaclassTalk is a reflective extension of Smalltalk that
>> provides programmers with a a meta-object protocol (MOP) to
>> control objects structure (memory allocation and access to
>> instance variables) and behavior (message sends and
>> receptions and method lookup and evaluation). It aims easing
>> experiments of new concepts, programming pradigms and langage
>> extensions.
>>
>> I (at last) started porting it on a recent version of Squeak
>> (3.9). The port is still unfinished. However, you can use
>> explicit metaclasses.
>> Note that Monticello support for explicit metaclasses is also
>> provides.
>> Explicit metaclasses can be safely stored and retreived from
>> Monticello repositories.
>>
>> http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/MetaclassTalk
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/MetaclassTalk.html
>
> Any chance you could port to 3.8 instead or also, being the latest
> stable version?

Re: [ANN] MetaclassTalk is back

Noury Bouraqadi
Hi Ramon,

Le 28 avr. 06, à 18:41, Ramon Leon a écrit :

> Any chance you could port to 3.8 instead or also, being the latest
> stable version?

I'm sorry, I jumped to 3.9 (from 3.2!!!) to be ready for the next
release.
And, as Stéphane said 3.9 will be soon beta.

Noury
Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. G.I.P
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org

Squeak: an Open Source Smalltalk
http://www.squeak.org

RE: [ANN] MetaclassTalk is back

Ramon Leon
> Hi Ramon,
>
> Le 28 avr. 06, à 18:41, Ramon Leon a écrit :
>
> > Any chance you could port to 3.8 instead or also, being the latest
> > stable version?
>
> I'm sorry, I jumped to 3.9 (from 3.2!!!) to be ready for the
> next release.
> And, as Stéphane said 3.9 will be soon beta.
>
> Noury

No prob, just an inquiry, guess I'll wait till 3.9 is considered stable, I'm not as optimistic as Stéphane, so I'm not holding my breath for any time soon.

Re: [ANN] MetaclassTalk is back

Marcus Denker

On 01.05.2006, at 22:44, Ramon Leon wrote:

>> Hi Ramon,
>>
>> Le 28 avr. 06, à 18:41, Ramon Leon a écrit :
>>
>>> Any chance you could port to 3.8 instead or also, being the latest
>>> stable version?
>>
>> I'm sorry, I jumped to 3.9 (from 3.2!!!) to be ready for the
>> next release.
>> And, as Stéphane said 3.9 will be soon beta.
>>
>> Noury
>
> No prob, just an inquiry, guess I'll wait till 3.9 is considered
> stable, I'm not as optimistic as Stéphane, so I'm not holding my
> breath for any time soon.

3.9 is already quite stable for an alpha version... at least if we
look at  the bug-reports coming in.

    Marcus

RE: [ANN] MetaclassTalk is back

Ramon Leon

> > No prob, just an inquiry, guess I'll wait till 3.9 is considered
> > stable, I'm not as optimistic as Stéphane, so I'm not holding my
> > breath for any time soon.
>
> 3.9 is already quite stable for an alpha version... at least
> if we look at  the bug-reports coming in.
>
>     Marcus

If it were stable, you wouldn't have needed to qualify that with "for an alpha version".  Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all complaining about anything.  I look forward to using 3.9, once it's release and stable enough to use in production sites, but it's not even beta yet, and even after release, I wouldn't trust it till it's been in the wild a bit, especially because it's not a minor release, some major changes are in 3.9.

Re: [ANN] MetaclassTalk is back

Andreas.Raab
Marcus Denker wrote:
> 3.9 is already quite stable for an alpha version... at least if we look
> at  the bug-reports coming in.

I think the number of bug reports is directly proportional to the number
of users and I'm not sure how many people run software with the "alpha"
label on it. And it's called "beta-testing" not "alpha-testing" ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [ANN] MetaclassTalk is back

stéphane ducasse-2
Yes this is why we will turn soon in beta ;)

Stef