[ANN] Multi-touch table on the top of Krestianstvo / Croquet

[ANN] Multi-touch table on the top of Krestianstvo / Croquet

Nikolay Suslov
Hello,

Want to share an experiment doing with Croquet and Krestianstvo SDK: a Multi-touch table.
The table is controlled directly by Krestianstvo virtual space and it's objects, being shared on the Croquet island. So, several such tables could be organized into p2p network and become a really interactive classroom, programmable just in Smalltalk.
For recognizing objects reacTIVision fiducial markers and TUIO protocol are used (based on Simon Holland TUIO for Squeak work).
For music synthesising SuperCollider through OSC is connected, using the idea from SCIMP (SuperCollider Server client for Impromptu) and being realized in Smalltalk.
Video of the table in action: http://vimeo.com/18211323
Blog post: http://nsuslovi.blogspot.com/2010/12/multi-touch-table-based-on-krestianstvo.html

Thanks and Happy new year!
Nikolay Suslov

Re: [ANN] Multi-touch table on the top of Krestianstvo / Croquet

sanyaade
Hi Nikolay,

where can someone gets more information on how to build the Multi-touch
table. I will like to see a drawing,
plan, etc.. on how the table and the camera and other kits are being
set-up. This will be a good learning experience.

God blesses!!!

Best regards,
Sanyaade

On 28/12/2010 21:07, Nikolay Suslov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Want to share an experiment doing with Croquet and Krestianstvo SDK: a
> Multi-touch table.
> The table is controlled directly by Krestianstvo virtual space and
> it's objects, being shared on the Croquet island. So, several such
> tables could be organized into p2p network and become a really
> interactive classroom, programmable just in Smalltalk.
> For recognizing objects reacTIVision fiducial markers and TUIO
> protocol are used (based on Simon Holland TUIO for Squeak work).
> For music synthesising SuperCollider through OSC is connected, using
> the idea from SCIMP (SuperCollider Server client for Impromptu) and
> being realized in Smalltalk.
> Video of the table in action: http://vimeo.com/18211323
> Blog post:
> http://nsuslovi.blogspot.com/2010/12/multi-touch-table-based-on-krestianstvo.html
>

> Thanks and Happy new year!
> Nikolay Suslov

Re: [ANN] Multi-touch table on the top of Krestianstvo / Croquet

Nikolay Suslov
Hello Sanyaade,

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 10:00 PM, sanyaade <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Nikolay,

where can someone gets more information on how to build the Multi-touch table. I will like to see a drawing,
plan, etc.. on how the table and the camera and other kits are being set-up. This will be a good learning experience.

Sure! The table construction diagram is just as the http://reactivision.sourceforge.net/ framework diagram. I used Sony PS3 eye camera, modified as NUI group (http://nuigroup.com) suggests, for working with infrared light and a budget projector 1024*768 (ViewSonic). The composition of camera, projector and infrared illumination depends on how much of the active area of the table wanted to be used.
But, want to mention, that the main part of this project is a TUIO and Croquet integration, that allows to develop the new tangible interfaces for multi-user interaction withing shared virtual space. It means, that while not having a real multi-touch table, somebody still could interact with shared Croquet space but using a standard webcam, running reacTIVision instance and using printed fiducial markers.

Best regards,
Nikolay

Re: [ANN] Multi-touch table on the top of Krestianstvo / Croquet

sanyaade
Hi Nikolay,

Thank you for your quick reply. I was at your website yesterday and downloaded the Krestianstvo SDK, the Croquet site seems to be down so could not down load it but I got seaside and some others smalltalk kits.

Right now I am downloading the reactivision at sourceforge.net but I am a bit confused on the camera side of things.
Do I need infra-red or not for the project? The NUI group guideline says to remove infra red filter from the camera but did not point out the reason for this. My question is --> Is the removal of the filter from the camera allows [enable] infra-red or does it remove [disabled] infra red? Please explain!  I asked this as I have some infra-red web camera that I bought from Ebay sometimes ago but it is important to be clear. Many thanks!

I must admit that the NUI group website is a very well established knowledge-base portal. I downloaded loads of information and packages from the site and I am going back there. I already have two projectors at home that I used for teaching and some laptops. I just need to go to pound-land or Art shop in my area to get plexi-glass and a tall box from local stores to start experimenting things. I will look on Ebay today for Sony PS3 eye camera. Once again many thanks!

God blesses!!!

Best regards,
Sanyaade

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 4:03 PM, sanyaade <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Nikolay,

Thank you for your quick reply. I was at your website yesterday and downloaded the Krestianstvo SDK, the Croquet site seems to be down so could not down load it but I got seaside and some others smalltalk kits.

Yes, but OpenCroquet.org seems to be is reorganized and the old wiki is not available anymore for now.. strange
Anyway, you could use it's current actively developing recipient - OpenCobalt or still download the old Croquet distribution from here

Right now I am downloading the reactivision at sourceforge.net but I am a bit confused on the camera side of things.
Do I need infra-red or not for the project? The NUI group guideline says to remove infra red filter from the camera but did not point out the reason for this. My question is --> Is the removal of the filter from the camera allows [enable] infra-red or does it remove [disabled] infra red? Please explain!  I asked this as I have some infra-red web camera that I bought from Ebay sometimes ago but it is important to be clear. Many thanks!

Ok, I'll try to be clear as possible.
Infra red blocking filter is removed from the camera to [enable] infra-red vision. It is needed, as the projector and camera should work in different light's diapasons. Camera inside the table looks/points to the same table's surface, that projector illuminates.Thus camera shouldn't view the visible light, but just infrared for recognizing the printed markers.

I must admit that the NUI group website is a very well established knowledge-base portal. I downloaded loads of information and packages from the site and I am going back there. I already have two projectors at home that I used for teaching and some laptops. I just need to go to pound-land or Art shop in my area to get plexi-glass and a tall box from local stores to start experimenting things. I will look on Ebay today for Sony PS3 eye camera. Once again many thanks!

Yes, PS3 eye camera is generally used as it has ~60 fps and thus is very responsive.

Best regards,
Nikolay