[ANN] NativeBoost project moved to new hosting: smalltalkhub

12

[ANN] NativeBoost project moved to new hosting: smalltalkhub

Igor Stasenko
Hi, i just migrated all packages & history to new hosting on smalltalkhub.

There is a new version
 AsmJit 1.3
and
NativeBoost 2.0

but 'new' there is just changing the official repository urls.

---

To try if it works do:
---

Gofer it
   url: 'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pharo/NativeBoost/main';
   package: 'ConfigurationOfNativeBoost';
load.

(ConfigurationOfNativeBoost project version: '2.0') load

---

If you want to be added as developer(s) to
NativeBoost or AsmJit , make sure you are registered at smalltalkhub,
and then send me your credentials.

(Lets hope, smalltalkhub won't forget all the data, so i have to add
users over and over again like on squeaksource  ;)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [ANN] NativeBoost project moved to new hosting: smalltalkhub

Nicolas Petton

Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> writes:

> (Lets hope, smalltalkhub won't forget all the data, so i have to add
> users over and over again like on squeaksource  ;)

It shouldn't just nuke the db, no :)

Nico

Re: [ANN] NativeBoost project moved to new hosting: smalltalkhub

NorbertHartl

Am 31.01.2013 um 15:08 schrieb Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:

If you want to be added as developer(s) to
NativeBoost or AsmJit , make sure you are registered at smalltalkhub,
and then send me your credentials.

This is a phishing mail. Official pharo members never ask you to give them your credentials. If you've done so please change your password immediately and notify the security department!

Norbert

Re: [ANN] NativeBoost project moved to new hosting: smalltalkhub

Camillo Bruni-3

ok, I already informed the police.
will distract igor in the office until they get here...

On 31 January 2013 15:13, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 31.01.2013 um 15:08 schrieb Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:
>
> If you want to be added as developer(s) to
> NativeBoost or AsmJit , make sure you are registered at smalltalkhub,
> and then send me your credentials.
>

> This is a phishing mail. Official pharo members never ask you to give them
> your credentials. If you've done so please change your password immediately
> and notify the security department!

sure thing i meant a user name.
some people using strange nick names (like mine) .. so it is really
hard to identify persons
by them.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [ANN] NativeBoost project moved to new hosting: smalltalkhub

Jimmie Houchin-5
On 1/31/2013 8:47 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 31 January 2013 15:13, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Am 31.01.2013 um 15:08 schrieb Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> If you want to be added as developer(s) to
>> NativeBoost or AsmJit , make sure you are registered at smalltalkhub,
>> and then send me your credentials.
>>

>> This is a phishing mail. Official pharo members never ask you to give them
>> your credentials. If you've done so please change your password immediately
>> and notify the security department!
>>
> sure thing i meant a user name.
> some people using strange nick names (like mine) .. so it is really
> hard to identify persons
> by them.

SmalltalkHub needs to offer a way for a member to request commit rights.
The request is submitted to owner(s) of the project for approval. The
request should include full name, user name and I think also the users
image initials or name.

I could not find such a feature anywhere.

This would eliminate email exchanges as currently required.

I think since SmalltalkHub is for Smalltalk code and we enter our
initials or name when we save an image and these initials are a part of
our monticello archives. It would be nice if these initials were part of
our information.

Just some thoughts.

Jimmie

Re: [ANN] NativeBoost project moved to new hosting: smalltalkhub

>> This is a phishing mail. Official pharo members never ask you to give them your credentials. If you've done so please change your password immediately and notify the security department!
>
> ok, I already informed the police.
> will distract igor in the office until they get here…

:)

Re: [ANN] NativeBoost project moved to new hosting: smalltalkhub

Excellent. 2.0 is a good number. much much much better than 0.4 or 0.6 :)

Stef

> Hi, i just migrated all packages & history to new hosting on smalltalkhub.
>
> There is a new version
> AsmJit 1.3
> and
> NativeBoost 2.0
>
> but 'new' there is just changing the official repository urls.
>
> ---
>
> To try if it works do:
> ---
>
> Gofer it
>   url: 'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pharo/NativeBoost/main';
>   package: 'ConfigurationOfNativeBoost';
> load.
>
> (ConfigurationOfNativeBoost project version: '2.0') load
>
> ---
>
> If you want to be added as developer(s) to
> NativeBoost or AsmJit , make sure you are registered at smalltalkhub,
> and then send me your credentials.
>
> (Lets hope, smalltalkhub won't forget all the data, so i have to add
> users over and over again like on squeaksource  ;)
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.

Re: [ANN] NativeBoost project moved to new hosting: smalltalkhub

Camillo Bruni-3
Igor can you also update the ci?

https://ci.inria.fr/rmod/job/NativeBoost/configure

On 31 January 2013 22:31, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Igor can you also update the ci?
>
> https://ci.inria.fr/rmod/job/NativeBoost/configure

it looks already up to date.

why do we need this job btw? who uses it?

(i'd like to mention that you should not expect from me that i will
feel responsible for updating/syncing something
which i was not created nor aware of)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [ANN] NativeBoost project moved to new hosting: smalltalkhub

Stéphane Ducasse
Igor

I think that camillo made this because NativeBoost is an essential part of our infrastructure
and this is good to know that it is working.
So I think that we should thank camillo for the time he spent on that.

Stef

On 4 February 2013 19:19, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Igor
>
> I think that camillo made this because NativeBoost is an essential part of our infrastructure
> and this is good to know that it is working.
> So I think that we should thank camillo for the time he spent on that.

It is pretty useless right now. If it would run on all platforms, it
would worth having.
But in current state, It feels like extra micromanagement to me.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

On 2013-02-05, at 12:52, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4 February 2013 19:19, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Igor
>>
>> I think that camillo made this because NativeBoost is an essential part of our infrastructure
>> and this is good to know that it is working.
>> So I think that we should thank camillo for the time he spent on that.
>>

> It is pretty useless right now. If it would run on all platforms, it
> would worth having.

then add slaves.... you strike me with laziness again!

On 2013-02-05, at 12:54, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2013-02-05, at 12:52, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 4 February 2013 19:19, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Igor
>>>
>>> I think that camillo made this because NativeBoost is an essential part of our infrastructure
>>> and this is good to know that it is working.
>>> So I think that we should thank camillo for the time he spent on that.
>>>

>> It is pretty useless right now. If it would run on all platforms, it
>> would worth having.

Adding a windows slaves is easy, just couple of clicks in the ci amanagement panel:
https://ci.inria.fr/projects/rmod/show#slaves

the macs are on the way (currently being bought and in while available with full virtualization).
Until then we have to use our mac slave, you can simply copy the slave configuration from
the pharo jenkins...

On 5 February 2013 12:54, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2013-02-05, at 12:52, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 4 February 2013 19:19, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Igor
>>>
>>> I think that camillo made this because NativeBoost is an essential part of our infrastructure
>>> and this is good to know that it is working.
>>> So I think that we should thank camillo for the time he spent on that.
>>>

>> It is pretty useless right now. If it would run on all platforms, it
>> would worth having.
>
> then add slaves.... you strike me with laziness again!

i would.. if i would remember that this job exists, and if you would
spend some moments
explaining why _you_ need it so badly, since you set it up. Because
running tests takes like 5 seconds,
and i doing it before comitting code, and feel pretty fine with it.

Igor Stasenko.

On 2013-02-05, at 13:05, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5 February 2013 12:54, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> It is pretty useless right now. If it would run on all platforms, it
>>> would worth having.
>>
>> then add slaves.... you strike me with laziness again!
>>
> i would.. if i would remember that this job exists, and if you would
> spend some moments
> explaining why _you_ need it so badly, since you set it up. Because
> running tests takes like 5 seconds,
> and i doing it before comitting code, and feel pretty fine with it.

Ask yourself:
- why do we have tests?
- why do multiple people work together?
- why do we want publicly available artifacts?
- why do we want these artifacts tested publicly?
- why do we write configurations?
- why do we try to following coding standards?
- why do we program in Smalltalk?
- why do we mostly write deterministic code?
- why do we work on Pharo?
- why do we build a jenkins infrastructure?
- why do we write down documentation?

After successfully answering these questions you will understand!

Re: [ANN] NativeBoost project moved to new hosting: smalltalkhub

Frank Shearar-3
On 5 February 2013 12:13, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2013-02-05, at 13:05, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> then add slaves.... you strike me with laziness again!
>>>
>> i would.. if i would remember that this job exists, and if you would
>> spend some moments
>> explaining why _you_ need it so badly, since you set it up. Because
>> running tests takes like 5 seconds,
>> and i doing it before comitting code, and feel pretty fine with it.

Of course you mean "I run my tests before committing my code to a
branch, so that someone else can review the code and merge it into
master." And then the answer's obvious: the reviewer rejects your code
until it passes all tests in a CI environment. Running the tests in CI
makes the reviewer's job easier.

frank

Re: [ANN] NativeBoost project moved to new hosting: smalltalkhub

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

On 05 Feb 2013, at 13:13, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2013-02-05, at 13:05, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> then add slaves.... you strike me with laziness again!
>>>
>> i would.. if i would remember that this job exists, and if you would
>> spend some moments
>> explaining why _you_ need it so badly, since you set it up. Because
>> running tests takes like 5 seconds,
>> and i doing it before comitting code, and feel pretty fine with it.
>
> Ask yourself:
> - why do we have tests?
> - why do multiple people work together?
> - why do we want publicly available artifacts?
> - why do we want these artifacts tested publicly?
> - why do we write configurations?
> - why do we try to following coding standards?
> - why do we program in Smalltalk?
> - why do we mostly write deterministic code?
> - why do we work on Pharo?
> - why do we build a jenkins infrastructure?
> - why do we write down documentation?
>

> After successfully answering these questions you will understand!

Camillo the Zen Master !

The point of the infrastructure is: you write code in one specific 2.0 image on your mac, the CI infrastructure makes sure you didn't break stuff on other platforms, other/older pharo versions, all automatically.

Of course, you need lots of stuff for that, but creating one build job is the first step.

Sven

I'm not gonna earn points for that.
My outburst of fury about this very topic yesterday burned all the zen there was :(

On 5 February 2013 13:13, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ask yourself:
> - why do we have tests?
> - why do multiple people work together?
> - why do we want publicly available artifacts?
> - why do we want these artifacts tested publicly?
> - why do we write configurations?
> - why do we try to following coding standards?
> - why do we program in Smalltalk?
> - why do we mostly write deterministic code?
> - why do we work on Pharo?
> - why do we build a jenkins infrastructure?
> - why do we write down documentation?
>

> After successfully answering these questions you will understand!

Of course you right. But i am not arguing about that. Can't you understand?

If you took initiative about something, don't expect that others will
work in same pace as you or
automatically/immediately pick up everything you did and integrate it
into their working cycle.
It takes time and effort (both mental and physical).

Ask yourself:
 - who, except original author knows best how things work?
 - when you creating a new artefacts, like a bunch of bash scripts for
jenkins. Who, you think,
  should take responsibility about them by _default_?
 - when you reconfiguring stuff and doing it completely different than
it was done before, why you think that rest of the world should
immediately jump in and start using it?
  - and finally, when you creating/releasing new stuff every other
day.. how many people is capable of keeping clear track of what you
are doing over months (+ doing own tasks)?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

12