[ANN] New Cocoa Squeak VM release

EstebanLM

Hi,
I want to announce the release of a new version of Cocoa Squeak VM (non Cog), version 5.7.4.

It can be downloaded here: http://squeakvm.org/mac/release/Squeak%205.7.4.zip

Since this is my first release, there are no big changes to take into account:

1) It's based on VMMaker 221 (latest)
2) it has a minor bugfix on arguments passed to the image (it was ignoring first argument).
3) My biggest change is that I drop the "b" from the release version, I didn't like it, and I think nobody else likes it :) and also is clear to understand, IMHO. Now you can read the version as: Major Version.Minor Version.Bugfix Version.

This release ships with this internal plugins included:

ADPCMCodecPlugin
B3DEnginePlugin
BalloonEnginePlugin
BitBltSimulation
BMPReadWriterPlugin
ClipboardExtendedPlugin
DeflatePlugin
DSAPlugin
FFIPlugin
FFTPlugin
FilePlugin
FloatArrayPlugin
GeniePlugin
HostWindowPlugin
JPEGReaderPlugin
JPEGReadWriter2Plugin
KlattSynthesizerPlugin
LargeIntegersPlugin
Matrix2x3Plugin
MacMenubarPlugin
MiscPrimitivePlugin
NewsqueakIA32ABIPlugin
ObjectiveCPlugin
RePlugin
SecurityPlugin
SocketPlugin
SoundCodecPlugin
SoundGenerationPlugin
SoundPlugin
StarSqueakPlugin
SurfacePlugin
UUIDPlugin
DropPlugin

Enjoy,
Esteban, with mac vm maintainer hat

Re: [ANN] New Cocoa Squeak VM release

David T. Lewis

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 01:18:56PM -0300, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> Hi,
> I want to announce the release of a new version of Cocoa Squeak VM (non Cog), version 5.7.4.

Yay!!! This is an important milestone, first official release. Thank you Esteban!

Dave

Re: [ANN] New Cocoa Squeak VM release

Casey Ransberger-2

Woot!

On Feb 2, 2011, at 8:41 AM, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 01:18:56PM -0300, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I want to announce the release of a new version of Cocoa Squeak VM (non Cog), version 5.7.4.
>
> Yay!!! This is an important milestone, first official release. Thank you Esteban!
>
> Dave

Re: [ANN] New Cocoa Squeak VM release

Bert Freudenberg

On 02.02.2011, at 17:18, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> Hi,
> I want to announce the release of a new version of Cocoa Squeak VM (non Cog), version 5.7.4.

Nice! :)

> My biggest change is that I drop the "b" from the release version, I didn't like it, and I think nobody else likes it :) and also is clear to understand, IMHO. Now you can read the version as: Major Version.Minor Version.Bugfix Version.

Could you make "Smalltalk vmVersion" return that too? This is what John's VM answered:

"Squeak4.1 of 17 April 2010 [latest update: #9957] Squeak VM 4.2.5b1"

There is code parsing the version number. Your VM returns "...] 21.0".

> This release ships with this internal plugins included:

IMHO, the "dangerous" plugins which allow calling native code should not be internal, so they can easily be removed:

FFIPlugin
NewsqueakIA32ABIPlugin
ObjectiveCPlugin

Also, the interpreter VMs used to bundle quite a lot of plugins. Is there a reason you left them out?

- Bert -

El 02/02/2011, a las 3:35p.m., Bert Freudenberg escribió:

> Could you make "Smalltalk vmVersion" return that too? This is what John's VM answered:

oops... I'll do that

> IMHO, the "dangerous" plugins which allow calling native code should not be internal, so they can easily be removed:
>
> FFIPlugin
> NewsqueakIA32ABIPlugin
> ObjectiveCPlugin

I dunno, they are really necessary for doing "modern" programming this days... but I'll take a look :)
Anyway, soon or latter we will need to adopt *one* FFI approach, there is no sense in maintain two plugins (or three) with the same purpose.

> Also, the interpreter VMs used to bundle quite a lot of plugins. Is there a reason you left them out?

yes... right now I'm just continuing John's work... the 5.x series (cocoa squeak vm) lacks a lot of plugins compiled for it (in fact almost all of them). It's in my agenda compile the plugins, but I'm still assuming the role, and not a lot of time, you know. But they will be there, some time :)

best,
Esteban

On 02.02.2011, at 21:43, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> El 02/02/2011, a las 3:35p.m., Bert Freudenberg escribió:
>>
>> Could you make "Smalltalk vmVersion" return that too? This is what John's VM answered:
>
> oops... I'll do that
>
>> IMHO, the "dangerous" plugins which allow calling native code should not be internal, so they can easily be removed:
>>
>> FFIPlugin
>> NewsqueakIA32ABIPlugin
>> ObjectiveCPlugin
>
> I dunno, they are really necessary for doing "modern" programming this days... but I'll take a look :)
> Anyway, soon or latter we will need to adopt *one* FFI approach, there is no sense in maintain two plugins (or three) with the same purpose.

I'm just saying they should be external plugins in the resources folder, not internal. That's how John did it too (though he suggested to make them simple dylibs instead of the "fat" bundles).

>> Also, the interpreter VMs used to bundle quite a lot of plugins. Is there a reason you left them out?
>
> yes... right now I'm just continuing John's work... the 5.x series (cocoa squeak vm) lacks a lot of plugins compiled for it (in fact almost all of them). It's in my agenda compile the plugins, but I'm still assuming the role, and not a lot of time, you know. But they will be there, some time :)

Thanks!

- Bert -

Re: [ANN] New Cocoa Squeak VM release

Igor Stasenko

On 2 February 2011 23:31, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02.02.2011, at 21:43, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>
>> El 02/02/2011, a las 3:35p.m., Bert Freudenberg escribió:
>>>
>>> Could you make "Smalltalk vmVersion" return that too? This is what John's VM answered:
>>
>> oops... I'll do that
>>
>>> IMHO, the "dangerous" plugins which allow calling native code should not be internal, so they can easily be removed:
>>>
>>> FFIPlugin
>>> NewsqueakIA32ABIPlugin
>>> ObjectiveCPlugin
>>
>> I dunno, they are really necessary for doing "modern" programming this days... but I'll take a look :)
>> Anyway, soon or latter we will need to adopt *one* FFI approach, there is no sense in maintain two plugins (or three) with the same purpose.
>
> I'm just saying they should be external plugins in the resources folder, not internal. That's how John did it too (though he suggested to make them simple dylibs instead of the "fat" bundles).

Yep.. i did that for Cog carbon build. Placing/using dylibs from
resources dir works well.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [ANN] New Cocoa Squeak VM release

EstebanLM

ok, I updated the VM, so now it returns: 'Squeak VM 5.7.4'
also, now it ships with UnixOSProcessPlugin.bundle included... this is the first of (I hope) many other.
I'm working on the "dissection" of FFI, Alien and Bridge plugins. With luck, this will be ready next week :)

Cheers,
Esteban

El 02/02/2011, a las 3:35p.m., Bert Freudenberg escribió:

> On 02.02.2011, at 17:18, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>> I want to announce the release of a new version of Cocoa Squeak VM (non Cog), version 5.7.4.
>
> Nice! :)
>
>> My biggest change is that I drop the "b" from the release version, I didn't like it, and I think nobody else likes it :) and also is clear to understand, IMHO. Now you can read the version as: Major Version.Minor Version.Bugfix Version.
>
> Could you make "Smalltalk vmVersion" return that too? This is what John's VM answered:
>
> "Squeak4.1 of 17 April 2010 [latest update: #9957] Squeak VM 4.2.5b1"
>
> There is code parsing the version number. Your VM returns "...] 21.0".
>
>> This release ships with this internal plugins included:
>
> IMHO, the "dangerous" plugins which allow calling native code should not be internal, so they can easily be removed:
>
> FFIPlugin
> NewsqueakIA32ABIPlugin
> ObjectiveCPlugin
>
> Also, the interpreter VMs used to bundle quite a lot of plugins. Is there a reason you left them out?
>
> - Bert -

Re: [ANN] New Cocoa Squeak VM release

johnmci

Just a reminder so it's not lost in the general issue of Cog 32bit. I did not ship the Cocoa VM with all the plugins because
they needed to be reviewed  to understand if they worked with 64 bit VMs I realize Cog doesn't at this time support that, but
we should lose the fact that the plugins aren't 64bit clean.

One major issue is getting the oops then considering the oops is an address, versus been an oops pointer that requires
feeding thru the macros in sqMemory.h so it actually becomes a 64 bit memory address.  As an example there was a few
cases of that in the FreeType plugin.   (which is 64bit clean now).

On 2011-02-06, at 5:01 AM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> ok, I updated the VM, so now it returns: 'Squeak VM 5.7.4'
> also, now it ships with UnixOSProcessPlugin.bundle included... this is the first of (I hope) many other.
> I'm working on the "dissection" of FFI, Alien and Bridge plugins. With luck, this will be ready next week :)
>
> Cheers,
> Esteban
>

> El 02/02/2011, a las 3:35p.m., Bert Freudenberg escribió:
>

>> On 02.02.2011, at 17:18, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>> I want to announce the release of a new version of Cocoa Squeak VM (non Cog), version 5.7.4.
>>
>> Nice! :)
>>
>>> My biggest change is that I drop the "b" from the release version, I didn't like it, and I think nobody else likes it :) and also is clear to understand, IMHO. Now you can read the version as: Major Version.Minor Version.Bugfix Version.
>>
>> Could you make "Smalltalk vmVersion" return that too? This is what John's VM answered:
>>
>> "Squeak4.1 of 17 April 2010 [latest update: #9957] Squeak VM 4.2.5b1"
>>
>> There is code parsing the version number. Your VM returns "...] 21.0".
>>
>>> This release ships with this internal plugins included:
>>
>> IMHO, the "dangerous" plugins which allow calling native code should not be internal, so they can easily be removed:
>>
>> FFIPlugin
>> NewsqueakIA32ABIPlugin
>> ObjectiveCPlugin
>>
>> Also, the interpreter VMs used to bundle quite a lot of plugins. Is there a reason you left them out?
>>
>> - Bert -

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: [ANN] New Cocoa Squeak VM release

Bert Freudenberg

Great :)

- Bert -