[ANN] New Seaside tutorial

michaelperscheid
Dear list,

We proudly present a new Seaside tutorial (for Squeak 3.10 and Seaside 2.8).
This tutorial was produced by the Software Architecture Group at the
Hasso-Plattner-Institut (University of Potsdam). In ten chapters we describe
step by step the development of a ToDo-application and thereby demonstrate
the main parts of the sophisticated web framework Seaside.
Since this is the first version we hope that you can help to improve the
quality by providing feedback.

Have a look at: http://www.swa.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/seaside/tutorial

Regards
Michael Perscheid

Re: [ANN] New Seaside tutorial

Klaus D. Witzel
This tutorial is excellent, thank you for the very good work :)

/Klaus

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 12:58:35 +0200, Michael Perscheid wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> We proudly present a new Seaside tutorial (for Squeak 3.10 and Seaside
> 2.8).
> This tutorial was produced by the Software Architecture Group at the
> Hasso-Plattner-Institut (University of Potsdam). In ten chapters we
> describe
> step by step the development of a ToDo-application and thereby
> demonstrate
> the main parts of the sophisticated web framework Seaside.
> Since this is the first version we hope that you can help to improve the
> quality by providing feedback.
>
> Have a look at: http://www.swa.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/seaside/tutorial
>
> Regards
> Michael Perscheid

Re: [ANN] New Seaside tutorial

Philippe Marschall
2007/10/19, Michael Perscheid <[hidden email]>:

> Dear list,
>
> We proudly present a new Seaside tutorial (for Squeak 3.10 and Seaside 2.8).
> This tutorial was produced by the Software Architecture Group at the
> Hasso-Plattner-Institut (University of Potsdam). In ten chapters we describe
> step by step the development of a ToDo-application and thereby demonstrate
> the main parts of the sophisticated web framework Seaside.
> Since this is the first version we hope that you can help to improve the
> quality by providing feedback.
>
> Have a look at: http://www.swa.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/seaside/tutorial

html table: [

(self sortBlock value: (self filterBlock value: self items)) do: [:item |

html tableRow: [self renderItemBlock value: item value: html]]]

If you get some real strange results with a construct like this then
you are missing #fixTmeps.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: [ANN] New Seaside tutorial

Ramiro Diaz Trepat
I think this new Seaside tutorial is great, and I am very happy about it.
I would like to see Magma integrated on Chapter 8.  Is there a reason
why it was not included?
If there is no problem with it, may be some of us could add the Magma
integration to the tutorial.

r.

On 10/19/07, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2007/10/19, Michael Perscheid <[hidden email]>:
> > Dear list,
> >
> > We proudly present a new Seaside tutorial (for Squeak 3.10 and Seaside 2.8).
> > This tutorial was produced by the Software Architecture Group at the
> > Hasso-Plattner-Institut (University of Potsdam). In ten chapters we describe
> > step by step the development of a ToDo-application and thereby demonstrate
> > the main parts of the sophisticated web framework Seaside.
> > Since this is the first version we hope that you can help to improve the
> > quality by providing feedback.
> >
> > Have a look at: http://www.swa.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/seaside/tutorial
>

> html table: [
>

> (self sortBlock value: (self filterBlock value: self items)) do: [:item |
>

> html tableRow: [self renderItemBlock value: item value: html]]]
>
> If you get some real strange results with a construct like this then
> you are missing #fixTmeps.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Re: [ANN] New Seaside tutorial

Martin Beck-3
Am Freitag, 19. Oktober 2007 18:42:59 schrieb Ramiro Diaz Trepat:
> I think this new Seaside tutorial is great, and I am very happy about it.
> I would like to see Magma integrated on Chapter 8.  Is there a reason
> why it was not included?
The simple reason is, that we (the ones who wrote this tutorial) didn't really
use Magma in our half-year project using Seaside. So, Magma got lost in that
tutorial. However, I was in the group which was evaluating Magma for the
project and therefore I am able to add the Magma part to the tutorial (thanks
for the reminder :) )....
> If there is no problem with it, may be some of us could add the Magma
> integration to the tutorial.
...but if you want to do it for us, you're of course welcome! ;)))

So wait for the next version including Magma "support"!

Regards,
Martin

Re: [ANN] New Seaside tutorial

Martin Beck-3
Am Freitag, 19. Oktober 2007 18:37:28 schrieb Philippe Marschall:

> html table: [
>

> (self sortBlock value: (self filterBlock value: self items)) do: [:item |
>

> html tableRow: [self renderItemBlock value: item value: html]]]
>
> If you get some real strange results with a construct like this then
> you are missing #fixTmeps.
Are you please able to explain to me (us), what the problem could be with the
code (I have written... ;) )? I always tried to understand the #fixTemps
thing, but everything I grabbed out of university lectures was something like
that it might be used for copying instance variables used by the block, but
owned by an object not used anymore and which is therefore almost garbage
collected...
However, I have to admit, that I just don't know.... ;(

Regards,
Martin

Re: [ANN] New Seaside tutorial

stephane ducasse
this looks excellent.
What is the license of this work?
Creative Commons? which one?
can we use that?

Stef

On 19 oct. 07, at 12:58, Michael Perscheid wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> We proudly present a new Seaside tutorial (for Squeak 3.10 and
> Seaside 2.8).
> This tutorial was produced by the Software Architecture Group at the
> Hasso-Plattner-Institut (University of Potsdam). In ten chapters we
> describe
> step by step the development of a ToDo-application and thereby
> demonstrate
> the main parts of the sophisticated web framework Seaside.
> Since this is the first version we hope that you can help to
> improve the
> quality by providing feedback.
>
> Have a look at: http://www.swa.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/seaside/tutorial
>
> Regards
> Michael Perscheid

Re: [ANN] New Seaside tutorial

Philippe Marschall
2007/10/20, Martin Beck <[hidden email]>:

> Am Freitag, 19. Oktober 2007 18:37:28 schrieb Philippe Marschall:
> > html table: [
> >

> > (self sortBlock value: (self filterBlock value: self items)) do: [:item |
> >

> > html tableRow: [self renderItemBlock value: item value: html]]]
> >
> > If you get some real strange results with a construct like this then
> > you are missing #fixTmeps.
> Are you please able to explain to me (us), what the problem could be with the
> code (I have written... ;) )? I always tried to understand the #fixTemps
> thing, but everything I grabbed out of university lectures was something like
> that it might be used for copying instance variables used by the block, but
> owned by an object not used anymore and which is therefore almost garbage
> collected...
> However, I have to admit, that I just don't know.... ;(

The problem is that Squeak does not have real block closures. This has
bitten we several times while developing Seaside applications in
Squeak. It's not uncommon that I send two hours hunting down a bug and
finally find out that I am missing a fixTemps. At my old working place
a had a sheet at the wall that counted who may times I got fucked by
missing fixTemps. Over the time I developed a feeling where I might
need a fixTemps. The combination of a loop and a rendering block is
good candidate.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: [ANN] New Seaside tutorial

Martial Boniou
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the tutorial. I shortly read it without testing and I noticed
an error on the part 4 - Components in the Gluing the Components
Together section;
StRootComponent>>#renderTask: aTask asRowOn: html should contain aTask
instead of self. I quickly verified in the change set that confirmed
this.
I also have a remark about the choice of the names of i-var: description
and name should be considered as reserved Object messages names in a
recent full squeak-dev image and newbies cannot understand why he may
not automatically create accessors (I think RB will do the job but will
create 'name1' method indeed).

Those days I'm trying to convince PHP devs to give Seaside a try and
your work (as Ramon's ones) is welcomed.

--
Martial

On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 10:14 +0200, stephane ducasse wrote:

> this looks excellent.
> What is the license of this work?
> Creative Commons? which one?
> can we use that?
>
> Stef
>
> On 19 oct. 07, at 12:58, Michael Perscheid wrote:
>
> > Dear list,
> >
> > We proudly present a new Seaside tutorial (for Squeak 3.10 and
> > Seaside 2.8).
> > This tutorial was produced by the Software Architecture Group at the
> > Hasso-Plattner-Institut (University of Potsdam). In ten chapters we
> > describe
> > step by step the development of a ToDo-application and thereby
> > demonstrate
> > the main parts of the sophisticated web framework Seaside.
> > Since this is the first version we hope that you can help to
> > improve the
> > quality by providing feedback.
> >
> > Have a look at: http://www.swa.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/seaside/tutorial
> >
> > Regards
> > Michael Perscheid

Re: [ANN] New Seaside tutorial

garduino
Very good tutorial. Thanks!

Also agree in have a Magma chapter but can't help so much myself right now.

Cheers.

2007/10/19, Martin Beck <[hidden email]>:
Am Freitag, 19. Oktober 2007 18:37:28 schrieb Philippe Marschall:

> html table: [
>

> (self sortBlock value: (self filterBlock value: self items)) do: [:item |
>

> html tableRow: [self renderItemBlock value: item value: html]]]
>
> If you get some real strange results with a construct like this then
> you are missing #fixTmeps.
Are you please able to explain to me (us), what the problem could be with the
code (I have written... ;) )? I always tried to understand the #fixTemps
thing, but everything I grabbed out of university lectures was something like
that it might be used for copying instance variables used by the block, but
owned by an object not used anymore and which is therefore almost garbage
collected...
However, I have to admit, that I just don't know.... ;(

Regards,
Martin

Re: [ANN] New Seaside tutorial

Raymond Asselin
Le 20/10/07, Martin Beck <[hidden email]>
Really nice job with that tutorial, I'm currently studying it.  I  too,
would appreciate a section on using Magma.

Nice work..Thank to all of you