[ANN] New microworld + Extra chapters for the BotsInc environment

[ANN] New microworld + Extra chapters for the BotsInc environment

stéphane ducasse-2
Hi all,
I'm currently migrating to the newest release of BotsInc environment
the second microworld that was initially planned to be described in
the book.

For now I published on my web site http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/botsinc/
download/ an old image that you can use with the current environment
(just drop the .image file on the squeak executable). Pay attention
that this is an old version (prior to the distribution 02-2005). This
old image that works on any platforms. I also released some advanced
drafts of chapters describing this microworld and also some really
fun chapters for BotsInc. I hope to find some money to ask a
professional to proofread them. For now they are given for free as
they are. I plan to give them for free in the future too.

Stef

PS: you can get more about BotsInc at:

http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/botsinc/

BotsInc is the environment of the book Squeak: Learn Programming with
Robots I wrote over the last 4 years. With Bots Inc you will learn
how to program robots in an interactive environment. Bots Inc
proposes three teaching approaches: direct command of robots,
scripting robots and programming robots. The book contains 24
chapters going step by step over topics with a lot of examples. Bots
Inc is fun but it is not a toy, it teaches you 100% real programming.
Bots Inc is built on top of the rich open-source multimedia Squeak
environment that you can also discover.

  "if you knew today was your last day on earth, what would you
  do different? ...  especially if,  by doing something different,
  today might not be your last day on earth" Calvin&Hobbes

Re: [ANN] New microworld + Extra chapters for the BotsInc environment

Blake-5

Hey, I'm a professional.<s> I'll proof 'em, if you like.

Re: [ANN] New microworld + Extra chapters for the BotsInc environment

stéphane ducasse-2
thanks for the offer.
In that case I will read them first and fix what I think should be
fixed and come back to you.

Stef

On 10 avr. 06, at 08:27, Blake wrote:

> On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 14:34:32 -0700, stéphane ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I'm currently migrating to the newest release of BotsInc
>> environment the second microworld that was initially planned to be
>> described in the book.
>>
>> For now I published on my web site http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/
>> botsinc/download/ an old image that you can use with the current
>> environment (just drop the .image file on the squeak executable).
>> Pay attention that this is an old version (prior to the
>> distribution 02-2005). This old image that works on any platforms.
>> I also released some advanced drafts of chapters describing this
>> microworld and also some really fun chapters for BotsInc. I hope
>> to find some money to ask a professional to proofread them. For
>> now they are given for free as they are. I plan to give them for
>> free in the future too.
>>
>> Stef
>
> Hey, I'm a professional.<s> I'll proof 'em, if you like.

Re: [ANN] New microworld + Extra chapters for the BotsInc environment

François Schnell-2
>I also released some advanced drafts
> of chapters describing this microworld and also some really fun chapters
> for BotsInc. I hope to find some money to ask a professional to
> proofread them. For now they are given for free as they are. I plan to
> give them for free in the future too.

Hi Stef,

This is great news :)

You can maybe look for one of the Creative Commons license:
http://creativecommons.org/

I bought around 10 books which are also available online under a Creative Commons license.

For a book it makes sens : nobody likes to read a full book online and if they  have the money it's a service they're glad to pay for (well, I do). And the most people can access your book and "spread" it, the better is the probability people buy it. Some editors are actualy looking very closely to this model.

Another thing to explore maybe is LuLu where you can also choose the license of your book.

"The world's fastest-growing producer of print-on-demand books, Lulu.com, has announced plans for five new European sites as part of its global expansion.
"The five new sites, to be phased in, will be in Germany, France, Italy, Spain and Holland.

More than 1,000 new titles a week are now published on Lulu.

That is more than twice the combined output of North America's 10 largest traditional publishers."

cheers

francois

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm currently migrating to the newest release of BotsInc environment the
> second microworld that was initially planned to be described in the book.
>
> For now I published on my web site http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/botsinc/
> download/ an old image that you can use with the current environment
> (just drop the .image file on the squeak executable). Pay attention that
> this is an old version (prior to the distribution 02-2005). This old
> image that works on any platforms. I also released some advanced drafts
> of chapters describing this microworld and also some really fun chapters
> for BotsInc. I hope to find some money to ask a professional to
> proofread them. For now they are given for free as they are. I plan to
> give them for free in the future too.
>
> Stef

Hey, I'm a professional.<s> I'll proof 'em, if you like.

Re: [ANN] New microworld + Extra chapters for the BotsInc environment

stéphane ducasse-2
Hi francois,

I was planning to do that for the complete book but I wanted to have
a professional copy edit (since my english is
quite draft), and also I wanted to have a nice layout.

Now I will consider that for these chapters. Thanks for the
suggestion. I think that for the following books
we will be writing we will certainly do them using a print on demand
process. :)
As soon as I have some times :)))))

Stef