ANN: Planet Squeak & friends available for adoption

ANN: Planet Squeak & friends available for adoption

Simon Michael

Hi Squeak friends!

about ten years ago I set up the blog aggregators http://planet.squeak.org, http://planetes.squeak.org, http://planetjp.squeak.org, http://planetcroquet.squeak.org, and http://planetmisc.squeak.org, to give more visibility to Squeak-related blogging and to make it easier to follow with a feed reader.

Blogging activity on the planet has dwindled (for ages it has seemed a small planet, ruled by the immortal god-emperor Torsten Bergmann - HAIL!). Of course there might be many new blogs to add, eg Pharo-related; I haven't been seeking them out.

I still think a site like this concentrating blog feeds in one place is a good idea.

To improve focus elsewhere, I'm offering this project (and others) for adoption. It's very low maintenance. You need a VPS or server where you can run cron jobs and the Planet Venus python software. You could also spend time adding new feeds, or merging such changes from others. The source files are in a darcs repo, which I can convert to git if you prefer. http://hub.darcs.net/simon/planet.squeak.org

Please reply if you're able to take this on. I'll step down as maintainer at the end of this month, about two weeks from now.

Best wishes,

-Simon

Re: ANN: Planet Squeak & friends available for adoption

timrowledge
The Mighty and Powerful Squeak Board has, in its assembled wisdom at the latest meeting, decreed that we would very much like it if somebody could volunteer to do this. We’re not the greatest group in the world at blowing our own  Crumhorn and improving our profile would a Good Thing.

So please, if you’re good at the social media thing and interested in getting more eyeball time for Squeak, consider taking this on.

tim
"How many Puppeteers does it take to change a lightbulb?”
"None. They hire Beowulf Shaeffer to to it. Lightbulbs can be *dangerous*"

Re: ANN: Planet Squeak & friends available for adoption

Bert Freudenberg
On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 11:07 PM, Simon Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

The source files are in a darcs repo, which I can convert to git if you prefer. http://hub.darcs.net/simon/planet.squeak.org

Please reply if you're able to take this on. I'll step down as maintainer at the end of this month, about two weeks from now.

We do have a spare server. We just need someone to set it up from Simon's repo. Anyone? It's almost the end of the month :)

- Bert -

On 4/26/17 8:43 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 11:07 PM, Simon Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The source files are in a darcs repo, which I can convert to git if you
>> prefer. http://hub.darcs.net/simon/planet.squeak.org
>>
>> Please reply if you're able to take this on. I'll step down as maintainer
>> at the end of this month, about two weeks from now.
>>
> We do have a spare server. We just need someone to set it up from Simon's
> repo. Anyone? It's almost the end of the month :)

Yes, anyone ? It seems like a service that should continue, but if
there's no maintainer-cycles for it, then it shouldn't.

Re: ANN: Planet Squeak & friends available for adoption

Tobias Pape

> On 03.05.2017, at 15:52, Simon Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 4/26/17 8:43 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 11:07 PM, Simon Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> The source files are in a darcs repo, which I can convert to git if you
>>> prefer. http://hub.darcs.net/simon/planet.squeak.org
>>>
>>> Please reply if you're able to take this on. I'll step down as maintainer
>>> at the end of this month, about two weeks from now.
>>>
>> We do have a spare server. We just need someone to set it up from Simon's
>> repo. Anyone? It's almost the end of the month :)
>
> Yes, anyone ? It seems like a service that should continue, but if there's no maintainer-cycles for it, then it shouldn't.

We have not much admin-capacity at the moment.
I can't take it but I'll help whoever does.

best regards
        -Tobias

Re: ANN: Planet Squeak & friends available for adoption

Levente Uzonyi
I'll do it if no one else volunteers.

Levente

On Wed, 3 May 2017, Tobias Pape wrote:

>> On 03.05.2017, at 15:52, Simon Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> We do have a spare server. We just need someone to set it up from Simon's
>>> repo. Anyone? It's almost the end of the month :)
>>
>> Yes, anyone ? It seems like a service that should continue, but if there's no maintainer-cycles for it, then it shouldn't.
>
> We have not much admin-capacity at the moment.
> I can't take it but I'll help whoever does.
>
> best regards
> -Tobias

Re: ANN: Planet Squeak & friends available for adoption

Tobias Pape

> On 03.05.2017, at 18:56, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'll do it if no one else volunteers.

Great :)
(I'd think david.box.squeak.org would be a good candidate to put it on)

Best regards
        -Tobias

> Levente
>
> On Wed, 3 May 2017, Tobias Pape wrote:

>>> Yes, anyone ? It seems like a service that should continue, but if there's no maintainer-cycles for it, then it shouldn't.
>>
>> We have not much admin-capacity at the moment.
>> I can't take it but I'll help whoever does.
>>
>> best regards
>> -Tobias

Re: ANN: Planet Squeak & friends available for adoption

Simon Michael
Thank you, all. There was also a volunteer by private email, who will
hopefully announce himself soon.

When the time comes, the planet.squeak.org alias will need to be updated
to point to the new server. The squeak.org domain is owned by Mr. Dan
Ingalls, and the tech contact is Göran Krampe, perhaps others here also
can help with that.

On 5/3/17 10:09 AM, Tobias Pape wrote:

>> On 03.05.2017, at 18:56, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'll do it if no one else volunteers.
> Great :)
> (I'd think david.box.squeak.org would be a good candidate to put it on)
>
> Best regards
> -Tobias

>>> We have not much admin-capacity at the moment.
>>> I can't take it but I'll help whoever does.
>>>
>>> best regards
>>> -Tobias

Re: ANN: Planet Squeak & friends available for adoption

Tobias Pape

> On 06.05.2017, at 20:04, Simon Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you, all. There was also a volunteer by private email, who will hopefully announce himself soon.
>
> When the time comes, the planet.squeak.org alias will need to be updated to point to the new server. The squeak.org domain is owned by Mr. Dan Ingalls, and the tech contact is Göran Krampe, perhaps others here also can help with that.

Yes, I can update dns in, like, seconds :)

Best regards
        -Tobias

> On 5/3/17 10:09 AM, Tobias Pape wrote:
>>> On 03.05.2017, at 18:56, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'll do it if no one else volunteers.
>> Great :)
>> (I'd think david.box.squeak.org would be a good candidate to put it on)
>>
>> Best regards
>> -Tobias

Re: ANN: Planet Squeak & friends available for adoption

Bruce O'Neel-2

I'm the one who volunteered to take over for planet squeak.

I'm traveling right now, but, this weekend or so I'll get a chance to see how to move it.

Thanks.

cheers

bruce

06 May 2017 20:04 Simon Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you, all. There was also a volunteer by private email, who will
hopefully announce himself soon.

When the time comes, the planet.squeak.org alias will need to be updated
to point to the new server. The squeak.org domain is owned by Mr. Dan
Ingalls, and the tech contact is Göran Krampe, perhaps others here also
can help with that.

On 5/3/17 10:09 AM, Tobias Pape wrote:
>> On 03.05.2017, at 18:56, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>>
>> I'll do it if no one else volunteers.
> Great :)
> (I'd think david.box.squeak.org would be a good candidate to put it on)
>
> Best regards
> -Tobias

>>> We have not much admin-capacity at the moment.
>>> I can't take it but I'll help whoever does.
>>>
>>> best regards
>>> -Tobias

Re: ANN: Planet Squeak & friends available for adoption

Bruce O'Neel-2
Hi, (this did not seem to make it the first time)