[ANN] SIXX 0.2b is now available on all Smalltalk dialects

[ANN] SIXX 0.2b is now available on all Smalltalk dialects

Masashi UMEZAWA-2
Hi all,

I've recently updated SIXX to 0.2b. This is a minor version up, but
introduces CIXX (Compact SIXX) for people who are conscious about
performance.

- Squeak
        - SqueakMap
        - ftp://swikis.ddo.jp/SIXX/squeak/SIXX20070420.sar
- VisualWorks
        - Cincom Public Store Repository
        - ftp://swikis.ddo.jp/SIXX/vw/SIXX-VW0.2-20070420.zip
- Dolphin Smalltalk
        - ftp://swikis.ddo.jp/SIXX/dolphin/SIXX0.2-Dolphin20070420.zip

About SIXX:
http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~umejava/smalltalk/sixx/index.html

Other features are listed at:
http://swikis.ddo.jp/umejava/40

Enjoy!
[:masashi | ^umezawa]

Re: [ANN] SIXX 0.2b is now available on all Smalltalk dialects

Damien Cassou-3
It's published on universe. Thank you.

Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN] SIXX 0.2b is now available on all Smalltalk dialects

Yoshiki Ohshima
  Hello,

  I did a little experiment with SIXX 0.2b (thank you, Umezawa-san!)
and found a few problems around Fraction, and also more lower-level
problem with storeString/readFrom: pair on Fraction and Complex.

  First, the following raises either ends up with an error (in a 3.8
based image) or wrong result (in 3.9):

  Fraction readFromString: (10/11) storeString.
  "or Number readFromString: (10/11) storeString."

writing and reading via SIXX doesn't work.

  For a Complex number, SIXX work because it scans the internal
structure of the number, but still the following doesn't work:

  Fraction readFromString: (1+2i) storeString.

  The following:

  Object readFromString: (10/11) storeString.

works, but I'd rather avoid using #evaluate: (I think there was some
discussion around it before) to read an interchangeable file.

  Any thoughts?

  (BTW, I'm writing a "variant" of SIXX called SISS, that files out
objects in S-expressions.  Other than the syntax, SISS produces more
"flat"-structured elements to help post processing and analysis.  That
is (getting) available in the OLPC image so please take a look at it
if you're interested in.)

-- Yoshiki

Re: [ANN] SIXX 0.2b is now available on all Smalltalk dialects

Masashi UMEZAWA-2
Hi Yoshiki,

Thanks for the feedback and it is great to hear that SISS will be released.

I've fixed the Fraction reading problem in SIXX.
http://squeaksource.blueplane.jp/SIXX/SIXX-mu.83.mcz

For Complex numbers, I confirmed the current SIXX format works both in
Squeak and VW. But it would be better to use a normal string
representation like '2 + 3i'.

And I've also found ScaledDecimal has its own problems (VW uses
FixedPoint instead of ScaledDecila; 123s is not allowed in Squeak,
etc.).

These fixes will be applied to the next version of SIXX.

Regards,

[:masashi | ^umezawa]

Re: [ANN] SIXX 0.2b is now available on all Smalltalk dialects

Vladimir Janousek
Dear Masahi,

I have encountered a bug: SIXX eats leading spaces in string and symbol
literals:

(Object readSixxFrom: #' aaa' sixxString)  == #' aaa'   --> false
(Object readSixxFrom: ' aaa' sixxString) = ' aaa'        --> false

Vladimir Janousek

Re: [ANN] SIXX 0.2b is now available on all Smalltalk dialects

Masashi UMEZAWA-2
Hi  Vladimir,

Thanks for the report. Actually, this problem is related to XML
parser's normalization.
(Surrounding white spaces should be trimmed by default according to XML spec).

However, you can avoid this problem by setting: "SixxSettings useCDATA: true."

Another solution is to fix SIXX to add "xml:space="preserve'"" for each XML tag,
but currently YAXO does not handle this attribute.

Cheers,

[:masashi | ^umezawa]

Re: [ANN] SIXX 0.2b is now available on all Smalltalk dialects

Vladimir Janousek
Hi Masahi, "useCDATA" helped me. Thanks.
Vladmir